Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post
That's interesting I've always been told that starting with EPA tier 1-4 that rolled out in early 2000s that on highway diesel was formulated at a much lower PPM in sulfur, but that true off road can still be #2.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/lowsulfurdiesel.shtml

So are they just dyeing ULSD and LSD is no longer formulated??
That's correct.
I accidentally filled with off road fuel at a small station, went in & told the cashier that I should maybe pay the tax on the fuel ( which is only difference, no tax) of course she had not a clue, but the old guy behind me spoke up saying "you gonna burn that sum bitch up with that fuel, its way to hot for that truck" to which I replied I thought it would just fine while laughing. The worst thing is that dye stains (it's like blood red ink) your fuel tank & takes several fills before its gone.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB (FOR SALE)
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #22
bobbecky

The only difference between ULSD for on the road and off the road is the red dye for the off road and the off road does not have highway taxes in the price. That is why they check for dye in on road vehicles, to make sure the taxes are being paid. I understand there is a hefty fine if you are caught with dye in your tank. And I don't think LSD is available anymore.

bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #23
Freeheel4life

Learning new tidbits everyday. This forum always seems to deliver that. Thanks fellas
Old 01-08-2018, 02:04 AM   #24
Tinner12002

Most stations that sell diesel fuel start using blended fuel up here in Oct-Nov. I never use additives unless its predicted to get below zero but definitely after that. A couple gal of Kerosene to a tank of fuel will work also.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #25
1st Chev Diesel

Truck wont start

Griz getting back to your question... go to the Diesel Place and do a search " fuel gel" etc and you will get a lot of info on your situation. Good luck.

http://www.dieselplace.com/

Gary
1st Chev Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #26
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Chev Diesel View Post
Griz getting back to your question... go to the Diesel Place and do a search " fuel gel" etc and you will get a lot of info on your situation. Good luck.

http://www.dieselplace.com/

Gary
Thanks Gary!

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #27
sourdough

After reading this thread, and so many other posts, is this what we call an argument NOT to buy a diesel? Being in a position of thinking about a new diesel, other than torque, I cannot see any benefit whatsoever to buying one. Little brother, who just bought his new F250 6.7 pretty much confirmed the same thing....you just need to WANT a diesel for it to be worth it, or have a need to tow heavy loads a lot......increased cost, increased maintenance, increased worries etc. etc. After many months of reading and research......did I miss something..... Not meaning to hijack the thread, just thought this might be a place to interject that thought....and I know it's been talked about many times so no need to reiterate previous posts......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:16 AM   #28
notanlines

I believe it was that now infamous orator Javi who once said "you can drive a diesel or just run around town making a sound like a diesel."
2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:53 AM   #29
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
After reading this thread, and so many other posts, is this what we call an argument NOT to buy a diesel? Being in a position of thinking about a new diesel, other than torque, I cannot see any benefit whatsoever to buying one. Little brother, who just bought his new F250 6.7 pretty much confirmed the same thing....you just need to WANT a diesel for it to be worth it, or have a need to tow heavy loads a lot......increased cost, increased maintenance, increased worries etc. etc. After many months of reading and research......did I miss something..... Not meaning to hijack the thread, just thought this might be a place to interject that thought....and I know it's been talked about many times so no need to reiterate previous posts......
Sometimes its a matter of preference, sometimes its a matter of need. Everyone has their own reasons for buying a diesel so its not for me to determine whether a person needs a gas or diesel truck. They all have their issues at times, but I personally believe that a diesel truck will tow longer and more efficiently that a gas when towing a 12k RV and on up in weight. That's my opinion anyway.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #30
travelin texans

We've been fulltime for 10 years & after driving over the river & through the woods in that time I can't imagine doing it in a gasser, but to each their own.
One argument everyone, that doesn't own a diesel, keeps bringing up is increased maintenance, so far after using a diesel as a daily driver for the last 13 years I've yet to notice that increase. Oil changes in 10-12 k where the gasser is 3-5k, mine holds 10 quarts, the gasser holds 5-7, all the same lubrication points, tire rotations, air filter, all of which are done on both. If referring to DEF, 2.5 gallons in 3-3.5k @ about $12 for the jug is less than half a cent per mile.
Not trying to sell diesels, but they are designed/necessary if pulling a large trailer, just my .02 cents.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB (FOR SALE)
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote