Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2023, 07:22 AM   #1
rosede

Need water pump replacement recommendation

Last night I want to winterize my camper. The water pump would not draw the antifreeze out of the bottle. It runs, but just does not draw the fluid. To confirm that it's the pump, I put water back into the fresh water tank and it wouldn't draw water from the tank.

I'm guessing a seal dried up in the pump and is leaking air, so its time for a new pump.

I don't know the current pump, but I'd like to upgrade if possible. The biggest issue that I have with the current pump is that it is in our bedroom and during the night, when someone uses the restroom and runs the water, the pump runs and is very loud and wakes us. I'd like something that is quite.

Any suggestions on what to get?

Thank you

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:37 AM   #2
tallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosede View Post
Last night I want to winterize my camper. The water pump would not draw the antifreeze out of the bottle. It runs, but just does not draw the fluid. To confirm that it's the pump, I put water back into the fresh water tank and it wouldn't draw water from the tank.

I'm guessing a seal dried up in the pump and is leaking air, so its time for a new pump.

I don't know the current pump, but I'd like to upgrade if possible. The biggest issue that I have with the current pump is that it is in our bedroom and during the night, when someone uses the restroom and runs the water, the pump runs and is very loud and wakes us. I'd like something that is quite.

Any suggestions on what to get?

Thank you

Try this site, they are ones that sale all things Keystone.

https://www.trekwood.com/
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 10:06 AM   #3
WNY Bullet

Did you try opening up a faucet to allow air to escape? Mine does that at times and I have to bleed some of the air out before the pump is happy.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:09 AM   #4
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen View Post
Try this site, they are ones that sale all things Keystone.

https://www.trekwood.com/
Thank you for the reply.

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:16 AM   #5
Canonman

Our water pump is a Flowjet. They are quite common and often used by Keystone. If you have this pump it is equipped with quick disconnect fittings for both the inlet and outlet. I found that if when I disconnected the hose from the fresh water tank and then connected the hose I had run from the antifreeze bottle I didn't get a good seal and nothing pumped from the bottle. I reattached the fitting making sure it was properly sealed and it pumped in the pink just fine. So, double check the seal on the input fitting even if it's a different brand pump.
As for the noise, the pump manufactures advise installing a loop in both the input hose and the output hose to reduce noise. Ours was not installed this way and was pretty loud. I made this change and the difference was quite noticeable.

3426-3526-3626_TRIPLEX_PUMP.pdf
https://www.manua.ls/flojet/triplex-3526/manual
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:55 AM   #6
Max23

Generally speaking, it's not the pump that is so noisy, it's the pipes and hoses hitting the side if the wall or floor hole etc. That's one reason looping the hoses helps. Others insulate around the pipes at entry points etc. Not sure a different model pump will solve that part of your problem.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:57 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The two "most common brands" of RV water pump are Shur-Flo and Flo-Jet. Shur-Flo pumps have 1/2" threaded connectors to connect to the RV PEX plumbing. Flo-Jet pumps have 1/2" "quick lock fittings" that do not have threaded fittings.

So, if you change brands, you'll also most likely have a "fitting changeout" which might require PEX clamps and additional time/expense to modify the plumbing from what Keystone installed to what fits your new pump.

While it's quite possible to change brands and modify the fittings to connect them, most people find that the process is much easier if you change out to a "same brand/model" water pump.

The photos below should explain the differences...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER PUMP FITTINGS SHURFLO.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	45380   Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER PUMP FITTINGS FLOJET 1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	45381   Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER PUMP FITTINGS FLOJET 2.jpg
Views:	30