Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2023, 02:36 AM   #1
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

RV Antenna boosters?

I know were camping but some TV would be nice on those rainy days or in the morning to watch some news or okay maybe a ballgame once in a while I've got the basic set up that came with the trailer and when we're close to a city the TV works well. Most of the time I get nothing. We usually camp on long weekends for four nights so TV is not that important but we have 10 night's coming up soon and wouldn't mind some TV. Do antenna boosters work? Should I change out the antenna? It's mounted on the roof mind you. I have an antenna in receptacle on the outside of the RV...any suggestions? Don't want to spend hundreds on a satellite until we camp a lot more. I've seen after market antennas fastened to the roof ladder...any recommendations please and thanks.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:59 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

More info would be beneficial as TV antennas, the systems used, the built in boosters, etc. have changed over the years. Do you have crank up antenna? An omnidirectional? A connection in the wet bay ?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 04:07 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Do you have the wonderful (not) KeyTV?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:24 AM   #4
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Thanks for responding...it's a 2018 RBS22 with a fixed round roof antenna that doesn't crank up...it does have a "booster" behind the TV with a green light when on. There is a connection for a coaxial cable on the outside of the RV by the entry door close to the back roof ladder. Just looking for better reception and maybe bypass the antenna I have now...pretty sure there's connections options behind the TV.
I'm glad I now nothing about this "KeyTV"
Old 06-23-2023, 06:42 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Placement on the roof can be problematic with an omnidirectional sntenna. Sounds like you may have a wineguard 360. If so a RAZR may greatly improve your reception.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:39 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like the switch with the green light is for the built in antenna booster. The coax connector on the exterior back is for park cable if the cg offers cable. Are you aware that every time you relocate that you need to go into the TV menu and search for over the air channels?
Old 06-23-2023, 08:30 AM   #7
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Yes thanks flyboy, that's the first thing I do after everything else, then I scan radio stations That coax in should work with any input source no? I was hoping for a quick trip up my roof ladder to clamp on a new super antenna that plugs easily into that connector we're talking about It's hard for us Keystone Canadians to get you guys sometimes What's a Razr and how does it work?
Old 06-23-2023, 08:48 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
Yes thanks flyboy, that's the first thing I do after everything else, then I scan radio stations That coax in should work with any input source no? I was hoping for a quick trip up my roof ladder to clamp on a new super antenna that plugs easily into that connector we're talking about It's hard for us Keystone Canadians to get you guys sometimes What's a Razr and how does it work?
Yes the coax connection should work for an external antenna as long as you turn the built in booster off by switching it to cable. The Razr is Wienguard antenna that's an improvement over the one you have.

You might check all the coax connections. It's common for folks to find a loose connection on the splitters in the walls or on the antenna itself. The other factor maybe the TV. What brand is it? The inexpensive OEM tvs are often the poorest quality with tuners that don't have a lot of sensitivity. Have you tried a different TV?
Old 06-23-2023, 12:09 PM   #9
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

It's a 32" Summit TV? When it works it looks good and has a lot of "smart" features, not ready to change it out. I'll check the connections, thanks.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:14 AM   #10
DonP

Quote:
I know were camping but some TV would be nice on those rainy days or in the morning to watch some news or okay maybe a ballgame once in a while I've got the basic set up that came with the trailer and when we're close to a city the TV works well. Most of the time I get nothing. We usually camp on long weekends for four nights so TV is not that important but we have 10 night's coming up soon and wouldn't mind some TV. Do antenna boosters work? Should I change out the antenna? It's mounted on the roof mind you. I have an antenna in receptacle on the outside of the RV...any suggestions? Don't want to spend hundreds on a satellite until we camp a lot more. I've seen after market antennas fastened to the roof ladder...any recommendations please and thanks.
Have you thought about a "roko" and using your cellphone "hotspot"? That's what we do when not boondocking, it works great for us, we were even able to watch our hometown news when in Atlanta. When boondocking it's family and reading a lot.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:42 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
It's a 32" Summit TV? When it works it looks good and has a lot of "smart" features, not ready to change it out. I'll check the connections, thanks.
The "good looks" of the picture may have no bearing on the quality of the tuner section . With digital TV signals it's pretty much a picture or no signal, not much in between other than pixilating or frozen screen before the signal drops out. If you have another TV in house or second unit like in the bedroom then you can use that to check and eliminate the possibility of the antenna being the culprit.
Old 06-25-2023, 03:14 AM   #12
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I have the Bell Fibe app on my cell phone but it requires using a ton of Data. The Wifi at parks isn't good usually where we're parked so we watch our phones for news and sport updates using Data which seems to be a decent signal in most areas hence the thought for upgrading to a better antenna. There's a way to cast the phone to the TV but again a lot of Data is needed. I may consider changing out the roof antenna, looks easy enough on y-tube I had the trailer at home last year to service/wash it and the TV worked great as it does at some campgrounds so I think it's the weak antenna.
Old 06-25-2023, 05:55 AM   #13
CedarCreekWoody

Sometimes we just have to enjoy our old DVD movies.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 10:45 AM   #14
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Yes good point @#13 and we've done that. Too bad though we can't rent new movies anymore...everything has to be downloaded or streamed these days so unlimited Data is needed. Camping and Netflix/Amazon doesn't seem right unless you're full timers of course
Old 06-25-2023, 02:28 PM   #15
jsb5717

We have the Winegard 360+ and it does alright. But like yours, nothing when out of range. We have a Vizio TV with built in Watchfree+ that will often have channels when I can’t scan anything new. But, like now, I can sometimes get nothing. Also, we have a Visible phone that will allow us to stream Netflix or Prime when we have 4G or 5G connectivity. We also carry many DVD’s for times like this when nothing works.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 03:46 PM   #16
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Maybe we shouldn't be so concerned about being entertained but we're clamping right Long weekends we can manage without TV? We have a 10 nighter coming soon so TV I will miss like a teenager So what if I upgrade to a satellite type roof system and I'm parked under a tree which is likely...maybe better to splurge on one of those portable ones that you can move around for reception and hope nobody steals it...oh this RV clamping is not like the old tent days when all you needed was a sleeping bag and a cooler
Old 06-25-2023, 04:18 PM   #17
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Maybe we shouldn't be so concerned about being entertained but we're clamping right Long weekends we can manage without TV? We have a 10 nighter coming soon so TV I will miss like a teenager So what if I upgrade to a satellite type roof system and I'm parked under a tree which is likely...maybe better to splurge on one of those portable ones that you can move around for reception and hope nobody steals it...oh this RV clamping is not like the old tent days when all you needed was a sleeping bag and a cooler
I own a Dish Tailgater system and enjoyed it while I had the home and away subscriptions. Since we lost a couple important channels, we canceled both subscriptions. I loved it and hated it. I spent a lot of time looking for the clear sky. Signal improved when I put the antenna on the slide out roof. I miss it sometimes, so we watch our DVD’s before bedtime. The mobile plan is as expensive as the home plan, plus the $500 in antenna & receiver cost.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 04:21 PM   #18
DonP

Quote:
IMHO, you seem to want to spend money for something you don't need. I'm going to assume that your 10 nighter will be in "full hook-ups", if so your cell 's hotspot and a roko should work just fine. We too have Visible and have never had an issue. $30.00 per month and unlimited data, talk and text "5G" too. Additional cost @29.95 for the roko.

You need to ask yourself, how many times am I going to use that satellite, you need the dish and a subscription. I "stream" YouTube TV, Disney+ and Paramont+ for half of what I paid for Direct TV and we can watch our west coast shows on west coast time when we're in the east coast time zone.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:59 AM   #19
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Your right Don @#18...I guess I'm trying to keep up with the Jones I can watch TV on my phone with Bell Fibe and get any channels I do at home as long as I get a signal. I don't have unlimited Data...have around 15 GB so think I'll make do...a bigger screen would be nice mind you
Old 06-26-2023, 06:07 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Your right Don @#18...I guess I'm trying to keep up with the Jones I can watch TV on my phone with Bell Fibe and get any channels I do at home as long as I get a signal. I don't have unlimited Data...have around 15 GB so think I'll make do...a bigger screen would be nice mind you
Depending on the phone and the TV you have, you may be able to connect them via bluetooth and "cast the phone screen" to the TV screen. That way you wouldn't need to huddle everyone around the phone to watch, and everyone can watch what's on the phone on the TV. Some "low end smart TV's don't have that capability" but most replacement smart TV's do. So, depending on your equipment, you may have an alternative you haven't explored yet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna