Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2023, 07:05 AM   #21
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Thanks @#20...I don't think my TV or me are that smart I remember trying that before and Mr. Bell didn't like and made it very difficult. Good point though, I will give them a call and try that again.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:03 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

If you've got ATT or Verizon, Sprint or another "local carrier" you can stop by their store and they can show you how to do it. Unfortunately, if you're using a "WalMart phone plan" or one of the other "limited access to tech support" plans, that's not as easy to get them to show you how to "cast your phone screen"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:45 AM   #23
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
We have the Winegard 360+ and it does alright. But like yours, nothing when out of range. We have a Vizio TV with built in Watchfree+ that will often have channels when I can’t scan anything new. But, like now, I can sometimes get nothing. Also, we have a Visible phone that will allow us to stream Netflix or Prime when we have 4G or 5G connectivity. We also carry many DVD’s for times like this when nothing works.
We have the same tv how do you stream from your phone to the tv? I can’t figure it out. There are times we can’t get anything on the tv but can get movies on the phone. Problem is on the phone it’s just way to small of a picture to be able for these old eyes to watch. Thank for any help.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:51 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

I think you have to have a television that allows casting. On my android (AT&T type) if you go to SERVICES, then CONNECTED DEVICES then CONNECTION PREFERENCES, there is a button called CAST. When I press that button I am told there are NO DEVICES NEARBY. To me, that indicates if there was a TV nearby that accepted "casting" it would show up. Not sure if anything needs to be done on the TV itself. All our TVs are either real cheap or don't have the feature needed.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:57 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Do yourself a favor and buy a cable to connect your phone to the TV directly. If you have an iPhone Google " lightning to hdmi cable" or a newer android "usbc to hdmi" or whatever the phone connector is to hdmi cable or adaptTV.

Plug the cable into the phone and an hdmi port on the TV. Choose that hdmi port on the tv. Then the phone screen will be seen on the TV and no "hot spot" charges will be incurred, only data charges. Turn phone to get get screen to display in landscape and lay the phone down.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:56 AM   #26
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I have one of those connectors, it's short, plugs in your phone and you'll need a HDMI cable to reach the TV. I tried that...worked good but allowed everything on my phone to be seen except for my Bell same as at home TV app...it would have been great, my phone would've been the remote wouldn't let me to connect. Now you got me thinking about other things I should try from my phone...I do have Amazon Prime and of course U-tube, and I know my daughters password for Netflix The Data used might be worth a couple of good movies or a short series
Old 06-27-2023, 02:48 PM   #27
Balvar24

If there is WiFi at the campground, a Roku player or similar player works.

If there isn't WiFi, phone as a hotspot and Roku player or similar player works.

No cell service, or TV reception, play hard enough that you're ready to go to bed when it gets dark.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 01:21 AM   #28
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
Yes good point @#13 and we've done that. Too bad though we can't rent new movies anymore...everything has to be downloaded or streamed these days so unlimited Data is needed. Camping and Netflix/Amazon doesn't seem right unless you're full timers of course
Go to your public library and borrow some DVD's before trips, they are a great and free resource..
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:10 AM   #29
ADQ K9

I run into the same issues as you here in Alaska. Our Roku is connected to our home accounts Amazon,Netflix Etc.
Roku's are relatively inexpensive and a great accessory if you don't mind using data and have a signal. Starlink in a nice option instead of satellite but I can not justify the cost of either unless we went full time.
Lately my TV is our new Solo Stove Bonfire
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 07:41 AM   #30
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Adding My Experiences on TV and Media Reception

Just returned from a six week trip across the country. The DW and I do like to watch certain TV shows and have tried several methods over the last 4 years to see them in our 2020 Cougar 29LRD. The Summit TV supplied with the camper seems to work well. I have had no issues with the KEY TV system. I have tried streaming services like Youtube TV that work well, but take lots of data. Started the first year with an unlimited data program for one year. As long as you have cell service that works great. The second year I added Dish TV using their Tailgater Pay as you Go plan. Worked OK as long as there are no trees in the way. The cost for that was higher than the streaming plus data cost.

I added a Roku to the TV and found that with cell service I can get a lot of things to watch. I have now abandoned the Dish system, went to a TravlFi cell based data system (with unlimited data) which uses the best signal from AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile, and watch where I am going to camp to try to get cell service. In almost all cases I have had service. During my last trip I cell service at all but one location. You can turn this data service off and on monthly. The TravlFi unit is portable so I take it to the truck during travel days and have internet connectivity most of the time.

I also set up the TV for local channels at every stop. On the last trip I had at least 4 channels at every location except one. Most locations had 15 to 40 channels. I have the Weingard360 antenna coming through the KEY TV system.

My Dish Tailgater antenna and receiver are now for sale. I have two antennas, one used a lot and may not be perfect, the other is brand new, used once. Make me an offer.
ToGo Roadlink C2
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 08:38 AM   #31
Cowbell

Talking

I use a antenna placed inside of trailer that comes with a stand. This also comes with mounting hardware so you do have options. I have a winegard 360+ on the roof but this antenna always picks up more channels. It's a Antop At-401BV that performs better than key tv and with the ability to slightly angle it makes all the difference. Purchased from Amazon. We still stream from our installed gateway 1000 with a spectrum sim card using Roku and mostly spectrum app. This better antenna is just another option on cold or rainy day with poor or no cell service.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:44 AM   #32
Weldon

For rainy days, we have puzzles, board games, Legos, DVDs, and lastly, a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. Rarely do we find that nothing is on that isn't suitable for 2 kids 12 and under. We rarely use the TV. Each of us picked out our 2 favorite dad's, and those stay in the TT. When we hit walmart or somewhere similar, we look in the $5 DVD bin for additions to our collection.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 02:39 PM   #33
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

That's interesting @#31...I see the 402 model for $150 on Amazon. So you hook up the coaxial cable directly to the TV or to the Cable in outlet on the outside of the trailer and plug it in to power? Might be the way to go/try with Amazons return policy
Yeah @#32 we always find something to do, usually cards or phone watching when weather is bad...bringing some good/classic DVD's is a good idea, actually a lot of the campsites we visit have a selection of DVD's.
Anyway, thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'll follow up on what I decide to try...heading up north for 10 nights starting on July 10.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:29 PM   #34
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Hey fellow campers who like having TV. I thought I'd follow up on our no TV reception...back recently from our 10 day trip...didn't bother upgrading our lousy antenna yet, but did enjoy some DVD's that our campground had on hand. Our phones did provide news and weather updates along with the close to over data limit warnings We're clamping next on the Labor Day weekend in Niagara Falls so TV reception shouldn't be an issue I hope. According to another lousy antenna thread, the old bat wing antenna clamped onto my ladder might be the way to go/try. But again, for a four nighter do I really need RV TV? Yes/no maybe so
Old 07-30-2023, 02:31 PM   #35
Canonman

I agree with Robert. Here's what we do for those shorter 3/4 day trips. Since we often are camping off grid in areas where TV reception is not an option, we head down to the local County Library and check out a couple of DVDs the day before leaving. If the campfire stories are good and movies go unwatched, no harm no foul. Just check them back in when we get home.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:49 AM   #36
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I agree with Canonman Most parks we go to have DVD's to borrow but the library is a good idea to bring a few with you. I feel like sharing our last trip if you don't mind...the park we stayed at was a 2 1/2 hour drive and the best one so far by far. It's up just north of Huntsville up here in Ontario and not just because of the hundreds of DVD's to borrow The treed full service sites are large and the facilities are amazing from the pristine beach on super clear Owl lake, to the large pool, to the endless games to play like ping pong, pool, basketball, shuffleboard, disc golf, hiking trails, etc. The name of the park is Almaguin Campground and worth a visit if you can book a site. The town of Burks Falls is 10 minutes away for those quick booze and food runs, and there's a golf course right next door...I've booked again already for next year. We used to camp at Provincial parks only which have the best areas until we purchased our first RV in 2018. Problem with those parks is no full hook-ups just electrical, so you fill up your water tank on the way in and of course dump on the way out. It's not really using your RV/clamping and you have to be careful not to fill your tanks too soon...the parks washrooms and showers are very nice mind you. Anyway, I thought I'd share, also I'm not really Raging, I just came up with that name after I purchased an RV and all the troubles we've had It's been great even with the issues we've had...one thing I'd recommend is to keep a close eye on your RV especially signs of water infiltration like bubbling wallpaper to spongy floors...check your roof often and caulking. Actually I'm brining my RV to the house this week to fix some issues and give it a good wash and wax. I'll be trying to post some pics once I solve that issue as well
Old 07-31-2023, 07:18 AM   #37
HeadHam

That's what we do too since our KeyTV amp is out, AGAIN!
HeadHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 07:42 AM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

My impression of KeyTv is that Keystone was attempting to make a simple system that didn't require an real understanding or user input to go from OTA to Cable. I can imagine the dealers get a lot of calls with the "old system" but likely have a lot more now followed by warranty claims. Like so many things, I guess it looked good on paper.

If I had it I would bypass it and keep the module for selling or trading in the unit.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:56 AM   #39
HeadHam

Well for the short time the new amplifier they sent me worked, it worked well. After three weeks, it too suffered the same failure the original one had. Now because they replaced it once, they need to pull the antenna off the roof and hook up another one to see if that's the problem. All good and well, but we're leaving for a month to the West coast so no working TV in our two month old Cougar. I was going to install a power switch if they sent me a replacement for the time being so it wouldn't be "on" 24/7.

Rich

BTW, how do I a "signature" at he end of my posts?
Old 07-31-2023, 10:12 AM   #40
HeadHam

Ignore the signature question, I found it!

Rich & Marilyn
2018 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2023 Keystone Cougar 29RLI 5th wheel
Curt 16E hitch

Tags
antenna