Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2024, 09:04 AM   #1
Brantlyj

Fresh water tank supports

The root of my question really revolves around traveling with a partial or full tank of water.
I’ll be traveling 4 hours at the end of the month and need to bring water as well as my Alaska trip will have periods of boondocking.

I’ve read to many stories about tanks falling out soIi thought I could take the coroplast off and just bolt up some angle iron.

That appears to be a little more difficult that I first thought. The tank is in the rear of the trailer and there is just general stuff in the way plus they didn’t use T-channel on the back side of the tank so I would have to get creative in the attachment.

Anyways I pulled the coroplast down a. It and I see that the tank actually has some sort of light duty fabric straps holding the tank as well as light duty metal straps.

If I had a full 40 gallons should that be sufficient? Alaska has terriable roads so I imagine there will be a lot of bouncing that far behind the axles.

As an aside, it has tank heaters. Somewhat surprised to see only a roughly 1-2 ft square heat pad. I would think it would be larger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	46173  
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 09:57 AM   #2
GlasNav

We run with the fresh water tank full. If you run with a partially filled tank the free surface motion within the tank caused by the sloshing of the water exerts more force than the static load of a full tank.

I understand your concerns regarding the Alaska trip, especially if you are going to take the Alcan Highway route! Not the smoothest road, sometimes diverted to gravel roads. Bring an extra set of tires, and don't be surprised if you end up with a cracked windshield.

On the positive side, it will be one of the most magnificent trips you have taken in North America!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:13 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Since you have to be careful not to puncture the tank with screws. You can use plumbers strap, wrap it around the beam, then run it across the bottom of the tank and around the other beam. Use bolts/nuts to hold the ends of the plumbing strap. If your concerned, wrap the strap with duct tape where it contacts the tank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:11 PM   #4
dutchmensport

I don't like running with a full fresh water tank because I can feel the difference when towing between an empty tank and a full tank of water in the camper. But, we don't dry camp or boondock either. We always have water available somewhere for a fill up once we arrive at our destinations.

However, I have, on several occasions, traveled with the fresh water tank full. As far as the tank falling out, that has never happened. But yes, I do worry about that possibility. That's why I travel with just a few gallons of water, just enough to flush the toilet when traveling.

I appreciate you posting that photo of your tank. I agree, those straps look "desirable" to say the least. But, they do hold. Considering you have access now, I would suggest adding more braces. They may not be needed at all, but anything you do may serve as a safety net if the originals fails. Or at least, help relieve some of the weight, stretching it over a wider area.

I don't see why you couldn't use a flat piece of 1 or 2 inch wide aluminum and steel. Drill holes in both ends and attach to the trailer frame. The ends don't have to stop right at the edge of the tank, on those frames. You may be able to attach them farther out.

And as stated above, you could use strapping material and just circle the tank, catching the frame. The more you put on, the better it will be.

But really, I think you'll be just fine.

That would be my suggestion.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:47 PM   #5
Brantlyj

Update: There is a good 1” plus of flange that the tank rests on. I was going to just let it be but I figured I took the time to pull the underbelly off it wouldn’t be too much trouble to have a little extra insurance.
I did use plumbers strap. I used the galvanized strap as it was thicker but it should have better corrosion resistance. I also covered it with duct tape like someone mentioned as the edges were quite sharp.
It really only took me about 45 minutes to do two straps. I could have done the middle but I only bought enough for two. I figure 3 straps, two fabric straps and the straps I added should be plenty.
I did notice that the channels did have the ability to mount 5 metal straps total. So thanks Keystone for saving a whole dollar by not installing 2 of them.

I still need to redo the expandable foam but that will wait for a warmer day.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:02 PM   #6
fjr vfr

I'm somewhat surprised your tank is in the rear of the trailer. Mine is right over the axles. I kind of thought that was the typical location.
And yes I have mine full when traveling. I think the force of water from a half full tank sloshing back and forth is worst than full.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:00 PM   #7
Brantlyj

The Arcadia’s typically have two tanks. One front, one rear.
For some reason Keystone only put one tank in this particular model.
I have put some serious thought into adding a second tank. We go to a lot of state parks and they don’t have full time water hook ups. 40 gallons is a bit short for a family of 5 for a normal weekend.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:36 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

I am curious about your tank size, are you sure it’s 40 gallons? Since it was a Covid era build, anything’s possible, but all the specs for 2022 show 66 gallons for your model (66 gallons minus 12 gallon water heater capacity = 54 gallon tank size). For 2023 (model discontinued for 2024) the tank size for your model is listed as 54 gallons (since the water heater is now tankless). I only see 1 or 2 of the many Arcadia models that have ever had the twin tanks, so those are very rare, not the normal.

My current trailer has a 43 gallon tank inclusive of the 6 gallon water heater (so 37 gallon tank capacity) forward of the axles, so a 40 gallon tank in a model of your size doesn’t sound right at all? When we camp at parks without a water hookup we fill up at check-in and typically carry one or two 6 gallon jugs to add more if we run low (we have a gravity fill fresh water tank). The other limiting factor most run into aside from fresh water capacity, is waste tank capacity. The more fresh water you have, the more waste capacity you need.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:01 AM   #9
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
I'm somewhat surprised your tank is in the rear of the trailer. Mine is right over the axles. I kind of thought that was the typical location.
And yes I have mine full when traveling. I think the force of water from a half full tank sloshing back and forth is worst than full.
Regarding full vs half full, you are correct. Without baffles within a tank, such as those used in these trailers, free surface motion of a half full tank while traveling does exert considerable more impact on the tank than if it was pressed full.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:44 AM   #10
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I am curious about your tank size, are you sure it’s 40 gallons? Since it was a Covid era build, anything’s possible, but all the specs for 2022 show 66 gallons for your model (66 gallons minus 12 gallon water heater capacity = 54 gallon tank size). For 2023 (model discontinued for 2024) the tank size for your model is listed as 54 gallons (since the water heater is now tankless). I only see 1 or 2 of the many Arcadia models that have ever had the twin tanks, so those are very rare, not the normal.

My current trailer has a 43 gallon tank inclusive of the 6 gallon water heater (so 37 gallon tank capacity) forward of the axles, so a 40 gallon tank in a model of your size doesn’t sound right at all? When we camp at parks without a water hookup we fill up at check-in and typically carry one or two 6 gallon jugs to add more if we run low (we have a gravity fill fresh water tank). The other limiting factor most run into aside from fresh water capacity, is waste tank capacity. The more fresh water you have, the more waste capacity you need.

Maybe it is more. Idk. When the Arcadia was first introduced the thing Keystone marketed was the 100 gal fresh capacity. In 2022 when I bought mine, it was the only full sized 5th wheel in the Arcadia line that had one tank. The Cougar with the same floor plan had 2 tanks so that’s why I’m confused why mine only has one. And why in the back where traveling with a full tank would pull so much weight off the pin.

I did the same with the hub and my old TT. Anytime we left I’d fill the jug on the way back. We typically used 60 gallons in a weekend. Never filled the waste tanks though.
Can’t do that with the power fill now.

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water