Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2024, 06:13 PM   #1
Alibaddy

Question Alpine Dinette Slide Top Seal Leaking

Not sure if my question is in the correct thread. Our Keystone Alpine dinette side slide has a wiper on the top that only contacts the slide roof for the first foot from the left. I am hopeful that someone knows either how to adjust this, or how to remove it and where I can get a wider replacement in Keystone's type. I also need to know how this style of wiper is removed.
Alibaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:55 AM   #2
GlasNav

Recommend posting some pictures at different angles. This doesn't sound right, could be a perspective issue, the unit is too new for failed seals. Is your slide level or lifted on one side?

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:56 AM   #3
Alibaddy

Leaking Slide Wipers

Thanks for the response.
This is a case of non-existent quality control t Keystone. I got on the roof and can assure you that this is not a perspective issue. The slide is level from front to back, and from the window to the interior. The floor of the slide is flush with the main floor. There is a quarter inch gap under the wiper. In a heavy rain a couple of nights ago, rain poured in on us as we sat watching TV. Note that I did not say dripped. So much water poured on my wife that she had to change all of her clothing. I sent pictures to the dealer, and he is trying to find out what to do, as we are in Florida, and my dealer is at home in Canada.
The pictures don't show well because of glare from the white roof. There is a small concave aluminum extrusion that can be seen when you lift the wiper, and that is all that holds water back. Hopefully you will see that the wiper does not rest on the roof of the slide, and while it curls a bit at the left end, the only curl at the right end is from the side wiper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240117_120444.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	46045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240117_120505.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	46046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240117_125115.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	46047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240117_125151.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	46048  
Old 01-18-2024, 02:42 PM   #4
GlasNav

I see what you mean and any sort of long term repair to address this isn't in my bag of tricks.

There are some actual RVIA Techs that participate on this forum, hopefully one of them will be able to give you some long term advice.

If you are stationary at one resort for the winter, I can only suggest applying duct tape between the roof of the slide and the seals. If you are frequently mobile, that would be a royal pain. Additionally, I don't know how the tape will affect the slide roof material.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
Old 01-18-2024, 02:57 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Your trailer is a 2021 model year unit. That means it's either at or very near the end of the 3 year structural warranty. The trailer sidewall and the "slide aluminum cage" are included in that warranty.

No matter whether it's a "quality issue" or a "seal issue" or a "seal attachment issue" when that warranty expires, should it be "something more involved" the cost to you is going to be significant.

If you haven't yet contacted a dealer and had this issue recorded as a potential warranty issue, then the "clock is ticking"....

That said, I wouldn't use any tape of any kind on the TPO slide roof or on the FILON sidewall. The tape adhesive residue, when baked onto those surfaces will, at the very least, become a problem to clean up and remove. That process will very likely lead to damage to the actual trailer. That damage can be easily avoided by not putting tape on any trailer surface if the tape will need to be in place for an extended time frame.

The "critical part" at least for me, would be the warranty requirement that you protect the trailer from further weather damage until it can be repaired by a dealer. If it were me, I'd contact Keystone and simply ask them how to protect it until you can get it to a dealer. Then, if you're not close to your selling dealership, I'd ask Keystone where they want you to take the trailer.

Again, if the warranty is nearing expiration, time is not on your side. I'd start the ball rolling by contacting Keystone and if they balk, send them the photos you posted and then request they help with locating a dealership to inspect the trailer and report the problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:31 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^Not knowing when the 3 year clock will expire what John said is very important. I have twice had to file claims prior to the near expiration of a warranty to make the claims valid. Both times Keystone they said the would warranty the claim if made prior to the expiration of the warranty and both times they repaired it past the warranty expiration date.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:37 PM   #7
ChuckS

The wiper seals are standard clip on that are used on all Alpine Hydraulic slides ..

In your case I would lay a straight edge across that slide TPO membrane just in front of the wiper seal looking for any evidence of a dip under that straight edge..

If there is a gap under that straight edge the roof is sagging .. otherwise if no gap then replace wiper seal and check vertical adjustment on that slide out..

PN for seal: 018-546

Amazon usually has best price for a roll of it (35 foot roll)..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:40 PM   #8
ChuckS

Replacing that style wiper seal is about a 15 minute task at best..

Video from my Alpine YouTube channel showing how easy and simple this task is ..

https://youtu.be/kUwncP6BJbw?si=8Nszt3PcsK9EE0lL

Old 01-22-2024, 02:45 PM   #9
ChuckS

I would also suggest you check the vertical height using one of Lipperts excellent videos from this link on the thru the frame slide system..

Those slides should not be perfectly level if properly adjusted .. they should slightly droop downward so that water runs away from the wiper seal .. otherwise water will pool up against the wiper seal and any slight seal void will allow all that water to pour right in from the top

https://support.lci1.com/through-fra...c-slide-system

Old 01-23-2024, 08:48 AM   #10
Alibaddy

There is a dip at the center of the slide but it is only in the order of about a quarter inch. All the way across the wiper barely contacts the roof. I have checked the distance from the slide top to the top of the opening and on both sides it is 2 and 1/16 in. I have spoken with my dealer and he is looking for a clip-on wiper with a two and a half inch wiper portion. The trailer is a 2021 so I wouldn't expect a problem with the roof on the slide, however this is the fourth trailer I bought from this dealer and he warranties everything he sells for as long as you want it.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:49 AM   #11
bobbecky

If you aren't moving for a while, I would go to Home Depot and get a length of their plastic molding that you could slip in between the roof surface and the bottom lip of the seal to close the gap, just to help keep water from getting in and doing any more damage. Maybe something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/7827-5-8...8007/204342947
You still need to get the warranty claim going right away.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 02:33 PM   #12
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaddy View Post
There is a dip at the center of the slide but it is only in the order of about a quarter inch. All the way across the wiper barely contacts the roof. I have checked the distance from the slide top to the top of the opening and on both sides it is 2 and 1/16 in. I have spoken with my dealer and he is looking for a clip-on wiper with a two and a half inch wiper portion. The trailer is a 2021 so I wouldn't expect a problem with the roof on the slide, however this is the fourth trailer I bought from this dealer and he warranties everything he sells for as long as you want it.
The standard PN I gave you is the correct wiper seal for that Alpine .. there should be ZERO GAP from end to end across that slide roof to seal..

My wiper seals lay down at least over full inch on top of the slide roof membrane.. there is not gap and you cannot get a finger underneath the wiper seal .

The year of that Alpine means nothing wit( regards to slide roof issues ..

If the dealership installs any wiper seal other than the one I listed then they are clueless .

Wishing you the best of luck

Watch my second video I made showing how to change wiper seal ( clip on style) and note hot much snap the seal has against that membrane ..

** you can see the old seal was starting to curl at the edge..and yo7 can see near the end of my video how tight that new seal lays against the slide roof membrane

https://youtu.be/WnSPwuH3oCo?si=Y38Ax-4AxKGuTCwP

Old 01-23-2024, 05:34 PM   #13
Alibaddy

Thanks for all the help. The suggestion about getting something from home Depot is a temporary blockage is a good one. I'm curious about the distance between the top of your slide and the top of the opening. Mine measures 2 1/16 inches, and there is no way that a 2-in wiper would leave one inch laying on the surface of the roof. I can't help but wonder if the slide needs to be adjusted upward..
Old 01-23-2024, 05:37 PM   #14
Alibaddy

Thank you for the information. However I can assure you that that wiper will not spread any further over the roof than the one that's in place now. You'll see in a later post that I have that I'm wondering whether the slide itself needs to be adjusted upward. Obviously that's not something I'm going to tackle. The slide does tip downward so water should flow away from the wiper.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:29 AM   #15
ChuckS

When I get on top and use my fingers I can get two fingers width wise between the slide roof membrane and bottom edge of slide seal clip on track...

This link shows the spec on the PN seal I posted earlier.. It IS the correct seal and if yours isnt laying at least 3/4 of an inch or more of seal down on top of the membrane then you have some issues that no seal is gonna fix...

https://approducts.net/product/clip-...7-16-x-3-x-35/

Old 01-24-2024, 09:45 AM   #16
ChuckS

These two images should give you an idea of how much of that seal should ne touching the slide roof membrane

Images from my 2014 Alpine. Hydraulic slides.. PN seal 018-546

First image shows worn seal and second image is new seal ..contact on both seals to roof membrane is a good 3/4 inch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	46083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0878.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	46084  

Old 01-25-2024, 04:57 AM   #17
Alibaddy

Thanks for the help and the information. The wiper is in excellent condition, so that's not the problem. At either extremity, I don't have anywhere near 3/4" of the wiper on the roof surface, and it barely touches in the middle. So, I realise there is a slight depression across the top of the slide roof. It may be that the slide needs to be raised on the inboard side (closest to the trailer wall) if that is even adjustable, but then the floor would probably not be flush. We won't be back home until April, but there is no water issue except in a driving rain, so when that happens we simply close the slide. I have dealt with this dealer for 20 years, and I'm confident that he will do whatever is necessary.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:15 PM   #18
Indnryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaddy View Post
Thanks for the help and the information. The wiper is in excellent condition, so that's not the problem. At either extremity, I don't have anywhere near 3/4" of the wiper on the roof surface, and it barely touches in the middle. So, I realise there is a slight depression across the top of the slide roof. It may be that the slide needs to be raised on the inboard side (closest to the trailer wall) if that is even adjustable, but then the floor would probably not be flush. We won't be back home until April, but there is no water issue except in a driving rain, so when that happens we simply close the slide. I have dealt with this dealer for 20 years, and I'm confident that he will do whatever is necessary.
One other thing to consider is the possibility that there is an obstruction on top of the slide on the inside and that could be preventing the slide from achieving full deployment and a tight seal. I would bring the slide in about 8 or 10 inches and take a look up there and see if anything had fallen into the pathway. You shouldn’t be able to see a gap between the wall and the trim on top of the slide, looking at it from inside the unit.
Indnryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:12 AM   #19
Alibaddy

We checked thank you. I have installed a push on wiper from Trim-Lok which has extended the wiper about a half inch, and that will do the trick until we return home. My dealer assures me that he can fix the depression in the slide roof, and I trust him. He has been in the business since he was a teenager, and we have dealt with him for twenty years.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:32 AM   #20
GlasNav

Good to hear that the cause of the issue has been identified and your dealer will address it on your return North. I'm sure you and your wife are glad to be dry with the additional wiper.

2021 Cougar 25RDS