Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2024, 05:11 PM   #1
Metoo

Spring Opening

This is the first year I will be opening the trailer for the season. This trailer is blocked and stationary. So I won't be driving around to agitate the fresh water tank when I sanitize it. So what are the suggestions for how long to leave the bleach mixture in the tank and lines?
Metoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:52 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

No need to drive around to "agitate" the water in the FWT. Just put about 5 gallons of water in the tank, then your bleach solution, then finish filling the tank. The additional water "running into the tank will create enough "turbulence" to mix things around.

Now, that said, if you've got stuff "growing in the tank" then even driving around with a half full tank won't "knock the green stuff off the tank walls"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:56 PM   #3
Metoo

Is 24 hours long enough
Old 03-01-2024, 07:16 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're using the correct strength bleach solution, 1/4 cup of REGULAR bleach (not the "vanilla scented concentrated bleach) for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. then yes, 24 hours is enough time to effectively sanitize the tank.

Be sure to not pour "full strength bleach" into the tank, that's a great way to destroy your "corrugated fill tube" as the bleach will dry out the plastic and make it brittle. I mix my bleach with 3 gallons of water and pour that into the tank through the gravity fill and then use the hose to flush all the bleach out of the fill tube. Then run each faucet until you smell the bleach. Hot and cold at every faucet. Don't forget the outside shower and outdoor galley sink if you have one.

Some people say 6 hours is enough, others say 12 hours. I prefer 24 hours, just to make sure. Nothing screws up a "boondocking trip" faster than getting the "trots" from bad water......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:28 PM   #5
Metoo

Thanks we don't drink that water just for washing
Old 03-02-2024, 05:47 AM   #6
dutchmensport

If you are adding water from a city water system that is treated at a city water treatment plant (not a private well on your own property), you don't need to do anything. The city water is already treated. Just fill your tank completely and run water through the lines.

However, if you do use the bleach method, it does not hurt anything to leave the bleach water in the tank and in your lines for an extended period. Eventually, the bleach will loose it's own potency.

The stronger the bleach solution, the shorter time it takes also. But, if you use a stronger solution and you drain, it may take more water to flush out the bleach smell and taste.

For what it's worth, my current Montana is 5 years old and it's never been "bleach" sanitized. No issues with the water. But, we use our camper year round too. I do have a 35 gallon tank used for transporting water when not at a full hook-up campsite. It may be months before I use it. When I do, I simply rinse it and go. Same with my garden hoses. I don't sanitize them either.

If you are going to bleach sanitize, then you really should bleach sanitize everything, garden hoses, portable water containers, buckets. Don't forget them too.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:12 AM   #7
Metoo

I have to transport water to the RV, so I use a 30 gallon barrel with soft water from a well, however I do have a sewer hook-up which is nice.