Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
Harleydodge

Shout Box?

Just a suggestion here, but it would be kinda nice to see a shoutbox mod on this site. (Vbshout by Dragonbyte tech is a nice one)

Be nice to just shoot the breeze and say hello.

Also, a thanks button mod that shows thanks right in the post rather than sending a PM to the OP. (the one you have now might be configurable?)

...just throwing it out there.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:16 AM   #2
notanlines

Harley, it has been mentioned by many of the long-time members here over the years suggesting a "Thanks" button. I suspect the software used by the owners of the site probably isn't set up for it.
Uh, "thanks" for the suggestion however.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #3
Harleydodge

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Harley, it has been mentioned by many of the long-time members here over the years suggesting a "Thanks" button. I suspect the software used by the owners of the site probably isn't set up for it.
Uh, "thanks" for the suggestion however.....

The site runs on Vbulletin which has many mods including the shoutbox one I mentioned, as well as a few various "thanks/Like" type addons as well.
You're right that a site owner/admin would have to upload and configure them though.
It looks like you have some sort of thanks mod already, but the way it works is a little "different" than I'm used to is all, that's why I mentioned it may be able to be configured differently.

All just suggestions to help make the forum a little more enjoyable.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I use this:Click image for larger version

Name:	stock-photo-blue-like-button-126252026.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	17064

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
Harleydodge

Nice! that's a big 'un

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
{tpc}

I think when sites are run by smaller people or companies, shoutbox type mods are easy to go about and do. When they are owned, like this one is, by a company that owns a bunch of different sites, its probably just easier to stay with the norm.

Years ago I ran my own small site, and i remember the time it took my to get the shoutbox implemented there. It was fun, but came with its own set of issues. Maybe the issues are all gone now, but I would bet it would conflict somewhat with the ad banners and what not.

Its a fun idea, kinda like a chat room. In another forum I used to frequent, it was asked for and the owner ended up with a chat room type thing instead of that at first. But it became rarely used, so the shoutbox went up and that became rarely used. I think both are gone now. Hit or miss I guess.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

One problem that I can see occurring is "real time issues" in a "real time chat room" environment. You'd likely need a moderator available to monitor participants and shut down conversations that get out of hand. On the forum, as it is now, we can go back and correct/delete problems after the fact. In a chat room, once it's said or typed, it's a part of the situation for the participants who were in the room at the time.

While it's true that we don't have very many "problems" in this forum, there are occasional issues that need to be removed/eliminated/stopped. You can't easily do that in a "real time environment"....

There's an old saying that goes, "It takes 100 attaboy's to erase one Oh s**t." With that in mind, I'm not opposed to chat rooms, but is there more potential for issues to develop than for good things to develop??? YMMV.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One problem that I can see occurring is "real time issues" in a "real time chat room" environment. You'd likely need a moderator available to monitor participants and shut down conversations that get out of hand. On the forum, as it is now, we can go back and correct/delete problems after the fact. In a chat room, once it's said or typed, it's a part of the situation for the participants who were in the room at the time.

While it's true that we don't have very many "problems" in this forum, there are occasional issues that need to be removed/eliminated/stopped. You can't easily do that in a "real time environment"....

There's an old saying that goes, "It takes 100 attaboy's to erase one Oh s**t." With that in mind, I'm not opposed to chat rooms, but is there more potential for issues to develop than for good things to develop??? YMMV.....

I agree with you 100%. I never liked a "chat room" option on a site either.
Not only does it detract from people actually posting their issues (as opposed to looking for "a quick fix" in a chat room environment) but, as you say, it requires constant monitoring/moderating and things can and do get out of hand in a hurry.

What I was alluding to was a "shoutbox", which would appear in a header (or footer) on the home page and (selectively) in all/any forum on the site, as opposed to a chat room environment.

It usually gets used for saying "howdy" and letting peeps know you're here or were here as per the time stamp and/or other small talk.
They are easily modded by all staff, should they need to be pruned or edited (as sometimes does happen, admittedly)

Anyway, I've said enough . Just wanted to explain the difference.
If it's opposed, so be it. As I said, it was just a suggestion.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm certainly not opposed to the concept, I just don't want it to become a negative aspect to the forum, something that I can see happening very quickly. As for my personal experience with the fast paced progress in the field of electronic communications:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calling you all day.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	17073  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm certainly not opposed to the concept, I just don't want it to become a negative aspect to the forum, something that I can see happening very quickly. As for my personal experience with the fast paced progress in the field of electronic communications:

Yep, I understand your concern.

Thanks for all you do here by the way. It is appreciated.

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

JMO here. I don't know what a "shoutbox" is; never saw one or used one. I have seen chat rooms and I personally think it would have a negative effect on the forum.

As far as folks coming in, posting their times when they come on and saying howdy...I'm not sure what purpose that would serve. I monitor the site multiple times daily. I pretty much know who comes on about what and when. I know many can't do that. My thoughts are that with PMs and the real time posting of comments I'm not sure what a "shoutbox" accomplishes. Maybe the OP can enlighten me, or others, as to the function. Personally, I don't want anything, anything that makes the forum begin to look like a facebook site...no way. Nor do I think we want partitioned areas where folks can go to say what they want etc. without being monitored.

Anyway, I like the way the site operates and the limits it places on members. If there are enhancements that make it more enjoyable for all I'm for that but I absolutely would not want some sort of facebook type commentary running that was not applicable to the many topics the site already has. JMO-YMPWV (your mileage probably will vary!!)
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
notanlines

I also am in the group that has never been around anything named "shoutbox." I do however peruse many sites that have a "thanks" box where you check it if you have read the post and those reading said post can see who has read it. I believe the "thanks" box is what most of the comments/posts have been about in the past. It would be one of those items that if you don't care for it, don't use it. I don't believe it would raise the annual price of belonging to this group.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #13
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I also am in the group that has never been around anything named "shoutbox." I do however peruse many sites that have a "thanks" box where you check it if you have read the post and those reading said post can see who has read it. I believe the "thanks" box is what most of the comments/posts have been about in the past. It would be one of those items that if you don't care for it, don't use it. I don't believe it would raise the annual price of belonging to this group.....

Yes, and the same would go for the "shoutbox" as well. Don't like it, don't use it.
It doesn't in any way "monitor" you or mimic Facebook in any sense, just to clarify that.

Oh ya, and if the annual price of belonging here gets any worse, I am going to write my congressman...or whoever

2008 FLHTC Harley.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

If it’s a live “chat room” I wouldn’t want it here. IMO this forum isn’t the place for it. There are plenty of other places on line for that. The “like” May be a good thing. We use it on the Ford truck forum I am a member of.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote