Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2018, 02:50 AM   #1
bobz89013

30RLS slide

The sides of the slide came painted black. That to me makes no sense but I didn't design the thing. Have any of you had them painted? I want to paint them at least the base color of the coach. Hopefully this will cit down on heat absorption.
bobz89013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:07 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Back when function seemed to be more important than looks, slide sides were usually Arctic White, the same as the trailer sides. My 2014 Cougar XLite is that way. The next year (maybe it was 2016) Keystone started using black FILON on the slides. The reason was to mask the black marks from the slide seals and to prevent the "unsightly stains" on the slides. In doing so, they introduced a new problem, heat gain, as you've experienced.

It looks like the appearance (lack of black marks from the slide seals) has "won the battle" since the slide sides remain black, even with the problems in cooling the coach.

Painting the slides may work, but if you deploy your slides frequently, you may wind up scraping the paint off the FILON to be an even bigger problem than the heat gain.

Alternatively, you might consider hanging a piece of solar screen on each end. You could attach it to the slide flange and the side of the trailer, creating a "chimney" to allow for ventilation and shade the black siding on the slide. Possibly others have found ways to help block the sun from their slides and will offer suggestions. But, painting may create more problems than it solves....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:15 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I think this is a good question in search of an outstanding answer. John has given a good thought. Let the games begin!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I think it's a two sided thing. Yes, the black sides collect some heat. In summer that can be a problem and I've posted about that in the past. But, in winter it's a good thing. It helps warm up the trailer. So, for us it's a wash but it is one of the reasons we installed two air conditioners. And the black on this one still looks new going on its 5th season; no marks, stains or streaks from various things that seemed to always show on a white sided slide.

John had a good idea for someone whose trailer generates more heat than they want. There may be other ideas but you have to remember that you can't attach anything to the exterior of the slide or it will eventually "eat" one of your seals.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:00 AM   #5
bobz89013

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Back when function seemed to be more important than looks, slide sides were usually Arctic White, the same as the trailer sides. My 2014 Cougar XLite is that way. The next year (maybe it was 2016) Keystone started using black FILON on the slides. The reason was to mask the black marks from the slide seals and to prevent the "unsightly stains" on the slides. In doing so, they introduced a new problem, heat gain, as you've experienced.

It looks like the appearance (lack of black marks from the slide seals) has "won the battle" since the slide sides remain black, even with the problems in cooling the coach.

Painting the slides may work, but if you deploy your slides frequently, you may wind up scraping the paint off the FILON to be an even bigger problem than the heat gain.

Alternatively, you might consider hanging a piece of solar screen on each end. You could attach it to the slide flange and the side of the trailer, creating a "chimney" to allow for ventilation and shade the black siding on the slide. Possibly others have found ways to help block the sun from their slides and will offer suggestions. But, painting may create more problems than it solves....
I like this idea could use tension rods to hold them in place. Hopefully that will be enough to cut heat until I get the second A/C mounted
Old 06-19-2018, 05:05 AM   #6
bobz89013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think it's a two sided thing. Yes, the black sides collect some heat. In summer that can be a problem and I've posted about that in the past. But, in winter it's a good thing. It helps warm up the trailer. So, for us it's a wash but it is one of the reasons we installed two air conditioners. And the black on this one still looks new going on its 5th season; no marks, stains or streaks from various things that seemed to always show on a white sided slide.

John had a good idea for someone whose trailer generates more heat than they want. There may be other ideas but you have to remember that you can't attach anything to the exterior of the slide or it will eventually "eat" one of your seals.

Yes am looking at second A/C now will see how that does then if needed upgrade the 15K that came installed on the unit as the primary. I am looking at the shades on tension rods so they may be rolled up and stored when not needed.

Tags
slide