Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2023, 08:51 PM   #1
Cd264

Springdale steps

Hi everyone we have a Springdale 220 and need to repair or replace the entrance steps. We have the 3 step 7" rise step and I believe the bracket is 27 3/4 to center line of the bolts. Anyone replace these or know a good replacement model?
Cd264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:10 AM   #2
WNY Bullet

We went with the ForkLift GlowStep Stow N' Go Scissor Steps w/ Landing Gear as a replacement for ours. A little pricey, but awesome steps and can be purchased as a direct replacement to your existing steps.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:50 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I replaced a set of MorRyde Step above fixed steps with the Torklift Glow Steps. I liked the MorRydes better but the Glow Steps allow you to fold the steps inward while still contacting the ground letting you get into the trailer in tighter spaces which is what I needed. The GlowSteps flex more and don't have siderails like the MorRyde plus they have extended posts at the bottom 2 corners you have to be careful not to trip over.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 07:44 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Chris,

Are you looking to simply replace your broken steps with the same type steps?

Or, are you looking to spend (possibly double that amount) on an improved upgrade to replace the existing steps ????

I can read your question both ways, 1: you want to know where to find replacement steps that are the same measurements and same type or 2: you are considering getting better steps but don't know which to buy....

So, maybe a clearer explanation on what you want to install: Same type or improved, more expensive type.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 04:09 PM   #5
Cd264

Hey that's a great point ! I'm actually just going to find a replacement for the original ones as the solid steps don't do so well in the rough areas we camp. So looking at some on Amazon the Lippert folding style. But the actual stairs are fine it appears to be a bracket bolted to the stairs that is broken. Does this come as a set or is the bracket there because the stairs are the wrong size from factory?
Old 06-29-2023, 01:22 AM   #6
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd264 View Post
Hey that's a great point ! I'm actually just going to find a replacement for the original ones as the solid steps don't do so well in the rough areas we camp. So looking at some on Amazon the Lippert folding style. But the actual stairs are fine it appears to be a bracket bolted to the stairs that is broken. Does this come as a set or is the bracket there because the stairs are the wrong size from factory?
Pictures would help

Old 06-29-2023, 06:55 AM   #7
Cd264

Bracket on Springdale steps

Trying to figure out how to post the picture lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230628_193623.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	44411  
Old 06-30-2023, 05:50 AM   #8
WNY Bullet

Quote:
That bracket does not come with the replacement stairs, the new stairs will also need to bolt to this bracket. What part of the bracket is broken?

Old 06-30-2023, 07:03 AM   #9
Cd264

It's the 90° top part which bolts to the trailers bottom. Apparently they put these in at factory but can't find a replacement.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:15 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It's the 90° top part which bolts to the trailers bottom. Apparently they put these in at factory but can't find a replacement.
Any good metal fabricator (welder/sheet metal shop) can build you a bracket that can sit "side by side" with the existing broken bracket and bolt to the trailer frame "in the opposite direction from how the existing bracket is bent"...

That said, be careful about unbolting that "through the floor bolt". The top of that bolt is "hidden inside the sidewall of the trailer" and if it starts spinning on you, the only way to tighten it up is to "dig the bolt head out of the inside of the wall. On your Springdale, the sidewalls aren't laminated, but you're still be "cutting a mouse hole" to access the bolt head to put a wrench on it.

One "alternative solution" would be to build a bracket to sit side by side, drill a hole in the new bracket to slip over that existing bolt and nut, then build up the gap with washers and just use a second nut to tighten it to the current bolt/nut assembly. You could then spot weld the new bracket to the frame rail and use "through bolts on the old and new brackets to support the steps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:16 AM   #11
WNY Bullet

Can your existing bracket be welded/repaired?

Old 06-30-2023, 10:33 AM   #12
Cd264

I was shopping it could be welded but it's all broken off around the bolt so nothing holding it on. This trailer has been a nightmare from day one brand new. Will never buy another one
Old 06-30-2023, 12:05 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Looks like maybe salt rusted it?

I think I would have a piece of 3/16" plate fabricated to fit right along the side of the existing step support to fit identically up against the top flange of the existing support. On the back weld, or have welded, a 3/16" bracket on the back 90 degrees to the fabricated plate facing away from the existing support. Cut 2 holes to fit the existing bolts coming through so they can go through the new plate. Drill holes in the back flange of the new support and through the frame using say 3 bolts. Make sure the new plate is tight against that upper existing flange on the stair bracket and bolt it down tight to the frame.

That bracket is supporting those stairs by the back side attached to the frame and that front bolt through the floor that is rusted out. A new plate out of heavy enough material not to give or flex then bolted to the frame at the back should give additional support to replace the integrity you're losing on that front bolt. I'd make that top plate tall enough to at least cover those tow top rows of square holes and probably an inch or two longer. I would make the back flange run from the upper frame rail to the lower frame rail. Something else to think about.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:32 PM   #14
Cd264

Excellent I'll look into this.. thanks
Old 06-30-2023, 12:44 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I would be very leery of trying to remove that nut on the front corner where it is rusted. You could fabricate the new support piece and put it in place. Once it proves to work, and I think it will, you could try removing that bolt (get the rust off and lube it good). If it comes off you have the option of removing the fabricated piece, fabricating a new plate like the OE step support and then reinstall that and leave the new fabricated add on support off.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:35 AM   #16
WDPatterson

Quote:
That's a really thin bracket. How long have you had that trailer, and is it still in warranty?
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 11:51 AM   #17
Cd264

I have had the Trailer since new it's a 2018 dealing with keystone and the dealership has been a nightmare in the past. So I have found a replacement part direct from Lippert for 12$ .. Unfortunately shipping to Canada bumped the price up to 43 lol but that a cheap fix still! I'm going to modify the bracket and place it over the existing one as to not touch the bolt that maybe a nightmare.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:08 PM   #18
WDPatterson

Quote:
I have had the Trailer since new it's a 2018 dealing with keystone and the dealership has been a nightmare in the past. So I have found a replacement part direct from Lippert for 12$ .. Unfortunately shipping to Canada bumped the price up to 43 lol but that a cheap fix still! I'm going to modify the bracket and place it over the existing one as to not touch the bolt that maybe a nightmare.
Man, that's terrific that you found a replacement. I hope it goes over the other one smoothly, and this problem is done with.
As an aside, PB Blaster works really well if you soak threads, and let it sit overnight. Get it with a blow dryer or a heat gun, put a pair of pliers lightly on the end of that thread, and see if you can delicately wrench that nut loose. If you can get it to come past where it sits, onto a clean thread, you should have no problem after that.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:14 PM   #19
Cd264

Ok great I might try that! Just worried it will start spinning on me
Old 07-06-2023, 02:11 PM   #20
WDPatterson

Quote:
Ok great I might try that! Just worried it will start spinning on me
Just clamp hard on the threads, when you get the nut down far enough, clamp on the other part of the thread. Try not to damage the thread, though.
Like I said, be sure to spray that with some PB Blaster, before you start.

Tags
springdale