Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #41
ken56

I burned up a wheel bearing and limped into a Wallyworld late one evening, went in and asked/informed the manager that I needed to overnight in their lot, no problem. I did not sleep well lets say.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Has anyone stayed at a rest area? It looks like most rest areas in Texas and New Mexico allow 8 hours. I've thought about having a rest area as a backup plan as I head to Colorado next month.
Depending on what route you are taking there are generally rest areas (restrooms) on the interstates and a few on some major highways. There are also parking areas, pullouts etc. specifically for vehicles (usually semis and rvs) to stop and rest. I've not ever seen anyone rousting someone from one of the areas.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #43
Bob Landry

There are some places with a City Ordinance against it. Durango, CO comes to mind. It pays to check ahead.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #44
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
There are some places with a City Ordinance against it. Durango, CO comes to mind. It pays to check ahead.
That sounds like Durango.....encourage dopers and winos to overindulge, pass out, puke and sleep all night on main st. then pass an ordinance against rvers from trying to stop to get some rest.....while at the same time those rvers would be spending their hard earned money in their city. Sorry, back to the program.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #45
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Depending on what route you are taking there are generally rest areas (restrooms) on the interstates and a few on some major highways. There are also parking areas, pullouts etc. specifically for vehicles (usually semis and rvs) to stop and rest. I've not ever seen anyone rousting someone from one of the areas.
I've looked at a couple of rest areas along 385 and 87. It would just be a backup plan. I typically have a reservation, but want to just drive this time and call ahead on the way. If I can't find an RV park with availability, then I would use a rest stop.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #46
W7PSK

I use RV parks, this is due to I need power for the CPAP or I dont sleep .

As for Walmarts, most of the ones around here have a "No overnight Camping" sign set up.
2011 F-350 SRW Long bed Crew Cab.
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #47
locomech

Only once

We stayed at the Walmart in Grand Is. Ne. on our first long road trip with our new 24ft Passport. We first pulled into an area on one side of the store that didn't have many cars or trucks parked there so we thought we'd be out of the way of shoppers and truckers. After asking permission to stay we were told to park on the other side of the lot by the truckers. We complied and found a spot away from the trucks and next to a grassy type of parkway. We felt that this is a good spot because we couldn't be sandwiched in between two 18 wheelers during the night. After getting settled in for the night we had a truck pull in near us that let his reefer run all night. In addition to that about two in the morning a carload of kids (in their late teens or twenties) pulled in nearby. They were drinking and carrying on with loud music till the wee hours. I was hoping that maybe a trucker would go and have a word with them but it didn't happen. After they left and things started to quiet down a bit the sprinklers along the parkway turned on and it was the noisy water-drops on the side of the camper that made me get up and going. We went across the street to Dennys for breakfast and hit the road. That was the first and last time we'll do Walmart.

There are plenty of overnight campgrounds along I-80. Some are nice and some are kind of seedy, but when we travel we're locked and loaded.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #48
bob91yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
That's good to know, it must be a relatively recent change. We've been to Silverton, CO twice, I usually ironman the drive from San Diego to Durango (18 hours), roll into the Durango Walmart, catch a few winks and head out for Silverton at first light. Both times I've been done it there were several other "overnighters" there.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #49
C.LeeNick

I was driving through Page, Arizona in May, returning from a camping trip but not RV'ing that time. Stopped at the Wal-mart in Page for refreshments, as I still had about 5 hours driving ahead.

The parking lot had so many RV's in it it looked like an RV show from the 1970's through 2018. RV's pulling boats. Groups set up here and there. I saw the smallest Fifth-Wheel I've ever seen there...it didn't look longer than 18-20'.

It was quite a scene.

We've only "camped out" in a Wal-Mart parking lot once. In Silver City, New Mexico maybe 12-13 years ago. We misjudged travel time coming from the south and got caught in the dark, otherwise we'd have looked for a spot out in the boonies. The Wal-Mart parking lot was OK, but it had it's positives and negatives. On the positive side, the security guard patrolled the parking lot all night in a little pickup truck, so we felt very safe. On the negative side, he'd drive right past us over and over and the yellow flashing light on the roof and sound of the truck's engine kept waking us up all night. It was the proverbial "double-edged sword". I got up at daylight and found a road slightly south out of town that went off into the forest, where we found a nice clearing so the kids could get outside and run around, and I took a couple hour nap.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #50
BlueJay Traveler

We stay at Walmart every summer while traveling. I always call the store manager to ask if they allow short term overnight parking. I have only been told no two times in ten years. The most sketchy Walmart stay was in Chattanooga TN on our way to Sanibel Florida. There was to much traffic all throughout the night. Young kids goofing around in the AM. Most stays are pleasant. Loved our time in Missoula MT, Valdosta GA, Minnesota, South Dakota. Don't forget you can stay a many Gander Outdoors, Bass Pro Shops, and Cabela's.
BlueJay Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote