Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #21
Racebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
You don't need no stinkin slider or heavy hitch to take away from your "payload"

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...k-version.aspx

Uh-oh now I dun it. Added the 2nd most controversial subject beyond the 3/4 ton "payload" (the first most controversial subject)

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #22
SXSRider

Damn you read my mind - I want an Andersen and that's what I will buy if I can determine I don't need a slider.
SXSRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #23
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Me, giving my 2 cents....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #24
SXSRider

so what is wrong with an Andersen?
Old 11-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #25
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXSRider View Post
so what is wrong with an Andersen?
I have no feeling one way or the other, as my TH is a tow behind 34 1/2' unit, but there is an ongoing thread over on the Ford Enthusiast Forum that contains a letter from Keystone that says that they will not warranty any claims on frame issues if you are using the Anderson 5ver hitch. I honestly don't know, as I've never really bothered to read into the thread very far. In an effort to no post a link to another forum, PM me if you want the link and you can read the thread. There is also another thread that shows a collapsed Anderson hitch....and again, I don't know the story behind it.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #26
mikz86ta

In reference to the original question :
I would say get a slider to be safe especially when it's a standard bed length. I wanted a 6ft bed HD truck to replace my Ram 1500 quad cab 6ft truck. But the long bed made a better tow rig overall and better for turns. So that's what I got.
And from my short time being a 5er experience, I would have been crazy to maneuver this 5er around with a 6ft bed and no slider. The truck I got came with a L-shaped in-bed fuel transfer tank. Which makes it somewhat act like the bed is shorter. And even though newer 5er coaches brag on the front cap design that makes tight turn radius easier, mine can come uncomfortable close on 90* turns.
Always prepare for the worst case senereo
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #27
mikz86ta

And for the debate on truck size :
I wanted a Ram 2500 Cummings. Reasons were the late model Ram I had was a great truck, the Cummings is bulletproof, a 2500 was a decent price range, their ride is easier for a daily driver (truck would need to serve me dual purpose) and they were easier to aquire a late model-low miles-decent option-good priced.
But my 43ft Fuzion FZ420 by itself exceeded any 2500, 250 truck out there. Even if I upgraded the springs, air bags, etc. it would not work for me. Then add 2 motorcycles, gear, 2 30gal fuel tanks, us, water, etc... we were beyond safe.
The the Sierra 3500 DRW Duramax looks comfortable pulling it, I assure you it very close to even it's limit. I feel like a snail going from a dead stop but I don't try to abuse my equipment either. Stopping is no problem, but once the weight shifts on that MorRyde slider pinbox mechanism, you really feel the 420 pushing the truck.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I have no feeling one way or the other, as my TH is a tow behind 34 1/2' unit, but there is an ongoing thread over on the Ford Enthusiast Forum that contains a letter from Keystone that says that they will not warranty any claims on frame issues if you are using the Anderson 5ver hitch. I honestly don't know, as I've never really bothered to read into the thread very far. In an effort to no post a link to another forum, PM me if you want the link and you can read the thread. There is also another thread that shows a collapsed Anderson hitch....and again, I don't know the story behind it.

It’s not Keystone, but Lippert that won’t honor any frame issues using the Anderson hitch. This has been discussed too many times to count.

Anderson does say they offer a high dollar amount to cover frame damage in the event that Lippert denies warranty claim based on the use of their hitch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #29
CWSWine

Quote:
The truck has over 12k in capacity between the axles and tires. If you think a helper leaf makes a F350 so much a safer then good for you. You do realize that a F250 with a camper package is a F350 right. A payload sticker is for taxation purposes. can do my own calculations the question is about a hitch..
You need to take another look at 2017 F250 / F350. They use difference springs and in some cases difference transmissions and quite few other parts also....
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #30
rhagfo

Quote:
Hello anybody pulling a Impact 351 with a late model F250 without a slider hitch? I am strongly considering this model in the near future.
Did you get the answer to your question about using/need of a slider with your standard bed Ford HD TV?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #31
2014301ktmhauler

On a short bed I would use a slider for peace of mind. I think it backs better when you move the pivot point back. Might be in my head. After a couple of skid marks on my truck cab I got an 8ft bed.
As far as payload goes weigh your truck and check against the combined rear tire capacity. That is the main buzz kill on a SRW. Just not many in Daytona during bike week would agree . Lots of 20k 44 footers down there being tugged by SRWs problem free. In my travels Ive seen 50:1 trailer tire / TV tire problems on the roadside.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #32
SXSRider

Thanks for following up. I think so.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #33
jaked

Go with an Anderson hitch. I️ have one with my 5th and short bed and it’s awesome and very light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #34
hookd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
You don't need no stinkin slider or heavy hitch to take away from your "payload"

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...k-version.aspx

Uh-oh now I dun it. Added the 2nd most controversial subject beyond the 3/4 ton "payload" (the first most controversial subject)
Looks like the GVWR police are alive and well in here. I second the Anderson and stay away from the sliders. Way to much weight and pain in the rear. Get your rig and let ER rip tator chip!
hookd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #35
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Ford Enthusiast Forum that contains a letter from Keystone that says that they will not warranty any claims on frame issues if you are using the Anderson 5ver hitch.
Can you share a link to that post or re-post the letter from Keystone. It seems like such a warranty void would violate Magnuson-Moss and as Thor (Keystone) is the LARGEST RV provider, Anderson might want to weigh in... Anderson + Thor - that's a lot of un-warrantied RVs if it's true.

NM, I missed it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It’s not Keystone, but Lippert that won’t honor any frame issues using the Anderson hitch. This has been discussed too many times to count.

Anderson does say they offer a high dollar amount to cover frame damage in the event that Lippert denies warranty claim based on the use of their hitch.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, slide