Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Dave W

@#$% Window

I try not to blame Keystone for shoddy workmanship ----- but sometimes I just have to vent. Much of what is on an RV is 3rd party, bolt in place. Windows may or may not be. We pulled into a CG a couple hours ago and the guy that led us to our site remarked that we had a window hanging loose. It happened to be an escape window. It had separated from the so called hinge. Now, that 'hinge', and it really isn't a hinge as we would expect but a couple pieces of extruded aluminum. a couple of pop rivets that act as pivot points and some glue on a piece of plastic, that in this case seemed to be only applied in two places, one at each end. My repair - some J-B Weld, a couple clamps to hold it in place while it dries then back it goes. It will have some good quality duct tape until the final cure in a day or two.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
bsmith0404

The escape windows are designed to be completely pushed out/separated from the RV. The "hinge" is designed so the window can be pushed away not so it will hold the window to the RV. Obviously it's not supposed to fall apart under normal use, but things happen.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:12 AM   #3
Quiroule

My brothers have seen someone lose it on the road on two occasions while driving to Florida.

My solution to prevent that, I use a rubber band to hold the inside mechanism in the closed position. The rubber band from a lobster claw works best.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:57 AM   #4
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
My brothers have seen someone lose it on the road on two occasions while driving to Florida.

My solution to prevent that, I use a rubber band to hold the inside mechanism in the closed position. The rubber band from a lobster claw works best.
Good idea - and sacrificing a lobster or two for the cause works too

When we get home, my intent is to add 2 or 3 hinge points with some more pop rivets. This particular window is in the LR and would have little chance of ever being used in a disaster and could probably be permanently closed---but it wont be. I'll also fix the one in the bedroom.

Currently its back in place as 'designed' but has some good duct tape as a backup holding the top secure.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Dave W

OK, back at the home summer CG after our lengthy trip. I just 'repaired' or should I say fixed Keystone's shoddy assembly of the LR escape window.

A bit of definition of how they are built first. These windows are made to swing out and then fall away for your exit. They do this via a hook fit of two pieces of aluminum, one of which is a part of the Hehr window frame. The other is supposed to be bonded the window glass. On ours it was two very small globs of some sort of glue. It is now bonded full length with J-B Weld which I hope lasts forever, or in our case at least as long as we own this 5er. There are two pop rivets that are used to hold the window in the correct location and will allow the operating rod to be correctly centered in the slot in the window frame. Oops - the assembler drilled and installed the pop rivets~1/4" out of correct location. This in turn jammed the operating rod to one side and in turn 'jacked' one corner of the window up and out of the hook fit. I drilled out the two existing rivets, then put the window back in place, marked where I needed to drill. removed it and did my drilling. I also widened the slot on the frame as it was too narrow to allow the rivet to fully fit. Next, up went the window, both new rivets installed, it's currently tight against the seals, the rod is latched. It will now operate 'as designed' but it will probably never be opened again.

Unfortunately, we haven't 'sacrificed' a lobstah' for that special rubber band, but it's going to happen ..... soon as a trip to Maine might happen yet this fall
Old 10-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

@#$% Window

Glad it's fixed. FWIW, Keystone doesn't make windows. They install completed assemblies, and I totally get your frustration. I had a brand new outback that the rear window panes hit each other. I had to replace the entire window to fix the issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Glad it's fixed. FWIW, Keystone doesn't make windows. They install completed assemblies, and I totally get your frustration. I had a brand new outback that the rear window panes hit each other. I had to replace the entire window to fix the issue.
These are Hehr windows which are usually pretty good. Any of the other windows I would be 'picking on' them. This one looked like it was put together by my youngest grandson as the error in manufacturing couldn't have been missed by any assembler as it just didn't fit together and it was by luck that the window had never been opened to only fall off the frame near Kerrville, TX.

Oh well, I vented and perhaps others will benefit if they have the same situation.

Never leave home without duct tape, silicone spray (I don't 'do' WD-40) a big hammer and a pair of pliers
Old 10-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
... Oh well, I vented and perhaps others will benefit if they have the same situation.

Never leave home without duct tape, silicone spray (I don't 'do' WD-40) a big hammer and a pair of pliers
Glad you got it fixed and didn't wind up having to buy another window !!!

Oh, and you forgot zip ties, bailing wire and extra garden hose rubber washers

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

@#$% Window

Working on these wonderful works of art all week, makes me not want to carry ANY tools, but at least so far I haven't been recruited to repair any units at the campground LOL.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
Dave W

I tend to carry wa-a-a-y too many tools and can fix most anything along side the road. Most of what I have in the 5er (a medium and a small box plus others in a plastic tote) are low end, Harbor Freight kinds of tools. If they break or disappear, not a big deal. The tools in my home shop are not HF clunks though.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
skmct

I lost mine in new mexico this year it fell off on the highway and smashed into a thousand pieces. I duck tapped apiece of couragated plastic in and made it back to florida. I then tried to buy a replacement piece for that side and was told I would have to replace the whole window. So I got a price from an online supplier of her. That 22x48 frameless window is $930.00 plus $148.00 for shipping. That is crazy they don't make a replacement panel I'm a little pissed to say the least. I know keystone does not make the windows but as far as I'm concerned if they put it in there product they are responsible for the quality!!!!@��������
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Glass breakage is usually a standard part of most RV insurance policies. Have you read your policy lately? Might find glass coverage is a $0 deductible or typically no more than a $100 deductible.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote