Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
old racer

Faded Front Cap

Does anyone know if Keystone has considered a recall for front cap fade? It has obviously been a problem for certain models.
old racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Recalls are generally related too safety issues. Since the front cap fade problem is not "safety related" chances are slim that Keystone will address it in any fashion that includes a number of models. In all probability, they will deal with each individual owner in a one on one fashion.

After all, if someone doesn't complain, Keystone probably won't spend any money to "talk them into painting their front cap"

It's more a matter of cosmetics than safety, so don't look for any recalls on this issue.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Bigg-limo

Quote:
Originally Posted by old racer View Post
Does anyone know if Keystone has considered a recall for front cap fade? It has obviously been a problem for certain models.
Same thing with my 1 year old Fuzion. The front cap faded in less than a year.
Bigg-limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
bdking

I have a Cougar High Country and mine fades in less then 2 months. I've had this 2012 for a year and have waxed the cap four time but it starts to fade faster then I can try a new kind of wax.
bdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
04z71

does anyone recommend a cover kinda worried about the fading
04z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
dakingsella

My 2012 Cougar 327RES is fading badly. I don't think their is anything to do but repaint it. I have talked to my dealer and with Keystone and am told the solution is to repaint it.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Bigg-limo

CALL KEYSTONE IMMEDIATELY BEFORE YOUR WARRANTY RUNS OUT!!! My front cap started fading in less than a year, and it only got worse over time. I bought my Fuzion 399 last year in May. I notified Keystone and they had to me take it back to the dealer. The dealer is taking care of it with no charge.
Bigg-limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Randyj

My 2011 cougar 322qbs faded last summer really bad. We just traded.
Randyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Idahorv

Angry Front cap has also faded

I have a 2012 Cougar 318 SAB. We have tried several recommended oxidation products to no avail. The dealer said it is out of warranty.A neighbor has a 2012 Heartland High Country and had a similar problem. Heartland sent him new decals for the front and a check for $800 to have the front sanded and repainted and it is out of warranty. Newer Cougars have front caps in white and they are clear-coated. To me they know our models have a problem. (I guess we know which companies care about customer service)
Idahorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I was at the factory last week and the new Cougar High Country front caps are painted. One of the first things the engineer I was talking to wanted to stress was that no longer are they "molded in color" but rather are painted with automotive grade paint. The new caps really look good and according to the plant, they are having no issues with any fading. Of course they've only been painting them for about 6 months, so time will be the best test.

Also, the decals are a different type (since 2013) and are supposed to last much longer than the previous decals.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
SherrieBerrie

Front cap fading

We just went through this with our new 2013 Keystone High Country. We caught the fade when we did our walk thru. We refused to take it until it was re painted under warranty. We were told that was the only fix, buffing and wax is very temporary.
SherrieBerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:29 AM   #12
J&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I was at the factory last week and the new Cougar High Country front caps are painted. One of the first things the engineer I was talking to wanted to stress was that no longer are they "molded in color" but rather are painted with automotive grade paint. The new caps really look good and according to the plant, they are having no issues with any fading. Of course they've only been painting them for about 6 months, so time will be the best test.

Also, the decals are a different type (since 2013) and are supposed to last much longer than the previous decals.
Happy to hear Keystone is changing the cap's finishing process at the factory for a better and longer lasting finishing process. I too noticed fading on my Terrain's front cap last month and took it back to the dealer to be addressed with other warranty issues.

The investigation and approval process took a couple of weeks as I had a couple of complex and expensive repairs under warranty. I'll go in detail in a separate posting once all issues are resolved in a couple of weeks.

I'd like to add that the resolution to my fading cap, as explained by the dealer, entails painting the fiberglass cap with automotive grade paint and a clear coat over the paint for added protection. It should last many years without problems, much like the paint on a car. I'm also getting new decals on the cap.

In search of my next RV
SOLD! - 2013 Terrain 299TBH
SOLD! - 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
J&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #13
moose308

2013 Laredo fading

Just emailed Keystone on 2013 Laredo fading.I know they spend a lot of money advertising to sell their products as I have bought 4 new ones.Let us see how this handle this one.I will keep posting progress.
moose308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
evesdt

2014 Bullet Premier Gel Coat Fiberglass Front Cap Spider Cracks

I have a 2014 22RBPR that developed extensive spider cracks on the gel coated fiberglass front cap. It appeared to have occurred over it's second winter season. None were observed after the first over-winter.

Has anybody out there had the same problem?

Their sales brochures claim that it will not crack due to the cold. Hmmm.
evesdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #15
johnnyringo

Does anyone know who, if anyone , makes a fitted cover for the 22RBPR?
Thanks, JR
johnnyringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
ImTravis

We had a cover on our 2014 30RIPR during the past two winters, and are still having the faded front cap issue. It's starting, but noticeable, so I've started the process with my dealer... I don't believe there's a model specific cover, unless you have it made. We measured the "box" and got one to cover it that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #17
smokeater

Faded front cap

Our 2014 30 REPR faded very badly over the winter. I contacted the dealer where we bought it new and sent them some pics. Within a week I was advised to bring it in, Keystone had authorized a goodwill repair for a large portion of the cost. I picked it up today and it looks awesome. I think your dealership has a lot to do with whether or not Keystone will play ball. I had to pay a portion but it was basically 80% covered.
smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #18
Rusty

Quote:

Obviously they started painting the cap after ours was built! Ours is a 2013 and the cap left (street) side, and rear are faded and oxidized and faded.

Neither the Stealership nor Keystone will do a damn thing! They suggested I take the trailer to a place in Calgary to have at least the front cap repainted, and of course it would be on my dime!

Right now I have to go pick the trailer up from the Stealership, they are so lucky that I am no longer in the military and had access to some gnarly equipment to take them out........to say I am pissed is an understatement!

We paid for the outside protection package, and I honestly think that we paid for it yet it was never applied, and if I want to have the protectant reapplied (at a cost of $500 no less!) it will also be on my dime! But who the hell wants to reapply this crap that if I hear the Stealership right did not work in the first place, why should I have it applied to a screwed up oxidized fading surface.......a waste of time and (my) money!

No thank you to Keystone, I have to detail a 35 ft fifth wheel...................

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Obviously they started painting the cap after ours was built! Ours is a 2013 and the cap left (street) side, and rear are faded and oxidized and faded.

Neither the Stealership nor Keystone will do a damn thing! They suggested I take the trailer to a place in Calgary to have at least the front cap repainted, and of course it would be on my dime!

Right now I have to go pick the trailer up from the Stealership, they are so lucky that I am no longer in the military and had access to some gnarly equipment to take them out........to say I am pissed is an understatement!

We paid for the outside protection package, and I honestly think that we paid for it yet it was never applied, and if I want to have the protectant reapplied (at a cost of $500 no less!) it will also be on my dime! But who the hell wants to reapply this crap that if I hear the Stealership right did not work in the first place, why should I have it applied to a screwed up oxidized fading surface.......a waste of time and (my) money!

No thank you to Keystone, I have to detail a 35 ft fifth wheel...................
Rusty,

I posted the comment that you quoted in your post way back on May 14, 2014. When I was at the factory the week prior to that, they were building 2015 models (2 years newer than your 2013). I understand your frustration, but your trailer was manufactured long before Keystone started painting front caps.

As for the exterior protection package, that is a dealer applied option and has nothing to do with Keystone. If you still have the original contract for that protection application, you might find, way down in the small print, something that would benefit your claim ??? Just a hunch, and you may not find anything that would give you any help with holding that protection application company responsible. But, as for Keystone, sorry to say, but they are completely out of the picture on a 5 or 6 year old RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #20
edward

Quote:
Recalls are generally related too safety issues. Since the front cap fade problem is not "safety related" chances are slim that Keystone will address it in any fashion that includes a number of models. In all probability, they will deal with each individual owner in a one on one fashion.

After all, if someone doesn't complain, Keystone probably won't spend any money to "talk them into painting their front cap"

It's more a matter of cosmetics than safety, so don't look for any recalls on this issue.
Agree with you , unless it is safety problem there won't be any recalling. My friend who noticed the front cap fading at the top ended up paying under warranty for the paint.
Meanwhile please check for http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...-notifications
edward is offline   Reply With Quote