Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
G Giroux

FCI entry door lock.

Need some help/advise.
PROBLEM:
FCI main door entry lock, top latch system (not the deadbolt)
The key freely enters the tumbler
Tumbler also freely turns in both lock and unlock position
Issue is: that the latch handle remains steadfast, not moving at all or allowing the latch to release.
Effectively locking us out of the RV.
Has anyone experienced this problem?
Any easy fix?
GPG
G Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You say, "effectively locking us out of the trailer".. Have you gained entry? If so, open the door from the inside, there are screws to take the inside plate off the lock. Once disassembled, you can visually inspect for any broken or loose/not attached parts. Repair as needed or you can order a new lock from FIC, your dealer or any RV parts house. If you order from FIC, you can request a specific key number so you don't have to change keys or make duplicates of what you already have.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:30 PM   #3
G Giroux

Thank you

Thanks for the response... unfortunately ... we are locked out so I can get to the interior screws.
So next step might be locksmith drilling the lock.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Giroux View Post
Thanks for the response... unfortunately ... we are locked out so I can get to the interior screws.

So next step might be locksmith drilling the lock.

I bet you can get in through a window. If it’s a large window, push on the moving piece as you “pop” on the frame. It’s a fine line between getting the latch to release and breaking the glass. I haven’t broken a window yet....knock on wood. You have to be trying to open the window and pop the glass right at the frame. If your unsure, you may be able to put a very thin shin in above the latch and then move it downward.

Drilling out the cylinder may not get you in, depending on what the issue is. If you have a laundry chute in the bedroom that drops into the front compartment, send a young one in that way. I’ve even had to replace vent lids as scumbags have sent Their kids through that way to unlock trailers in storage.

All of this to say you have options.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:45 AM   #5
Snoking

I would go buy a replacement unit. https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Traile...4X87MEPD2NSEP1

And study how it works before attacking the one on the trailer door. The lock in the movable handle is not the best way to lock you rig BTW. The other lock is the dead bolt, which works only with your key. The lock on the movable handle works with universal master keys that dealers have.

Study how the new one works might give you a clue how to best destroy the one on the door so that you can get in.

You also might try again with your key holding pressure up or down(one direction or the other) on the key as you turn it. I believe if I remember correctly, that the key slot is horizontal when locked and vertical when unlocked. Have you tried pushing in on the door with the key slot vertical, while trying to open the door. Maybe the latch is just under pressure on the striking plate on the door jam.

Chris
Old 01-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Whatever you choose to do, remember that the door is a Styrofoam sandwich between two VERY THIN strips of outer material. The door will NOT survive any "brute force" to open the lock. So, be gentle on how much force you apply to the lock, you'll "grow your damage" significantly if you try the "get a bigger hammer" approach.

If you haven't already done so, try each of the keys you have for the door. Sometimes a key is cut "slightly off" from the original (even if they are both OEM keys) and one will work while the other won't unlock the cylinder...

A locksmith can get you in if there isn't a handy window or hatch that works.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

Our front door must have a bit of mis alignment because when we unlock the trailer, I have to yank really hard on the latch to get the door open sometimes. Just saying....
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Our front door must have a bit of mis alignment because when we unlock the trailer, I have to yank really hard on the latch to get the door open sometimes. Just saying....
I'd try some dry graphite on the latch and striker plate if you haven't already.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Your profile does not show what year Cougar you have. FCI had a recall on locks several years back. When my lock jammed like yours I sent my neighbor's kid in through the laundry chute and the door opened from the inside. I called FCI and they sent me new tumblers and a loaner master key to install them. Their customer service is one of the best I have come across in the RV industry. (A live person actually answers the phone. ) The neighbor's kid kept humming the theme to Mission Impossible the whole time he was inside.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #10
G Giroux

Thank you to all our RV enthusiast who responded.
Special thank you to "SMOKING" who suggested "Maybe the latch is just under pressure on the striking plate on the door jam."
Also found a U-Tube posting who also had the same explanation... in his case his dealer was also stumped.
PROBLEM: As noted above, "... the latch is just under pressure on the striking plate on the door jam"
RESOLUTION:
Put inward pressure on the door beside the door handle, this releases the latch pressure on the striker plate and allows the handle to move freely.
Counter intuitive in that your asked to push the door inward before being able to open it outward.
Many thanks from CANADA !!!!
GPG52!!
PS: to FlyingAroundRV, this push/pull method we help you with your sticking door issue. ???
Old 01-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #11
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Giroux View Post
Thank you to all our RV enthusiast who responded.
Special thank you to "SMOKING" who suggested "Maybe the latch is just under pressure on the striking plate on the door jam."
Also found a U-Tube posting who also had the same explanation... in his case his dealer was also stumped.
PROBLEM: As noted above, "... the latch is just under pressure on the striking plate on the door jam"
RESOLUTION:
Put inward pressure on the door beside the door handle, this releases the latch pressure on the striker plate and allows the handle to move freely.
Counter intuitive in that your asked to push the door inward before being able to open it outward.
Many thanks from CANADA !!!!
GPG52!!
PS: to FlyingAroundRV, this push/pull method we help you with your sticking door issue. ???
As I stated in my RV.net(as Me Again), it was a bit of an after thought that hit me. Glad it worked out for you. It is great to be able to draw on others in times like this. Chris AKA SnoKing and Me Again

PS: I posted for years on RV.net as Chris until a mod decided I should be ban. Marcus stepped in for me, however once an user ID is cancelled they can not activate it again. So I became "Me Again"