Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
Benbill

Turn Signal is Dim and Rapidly Flashes

I have a 2020 Keystone Montana 3921 that has a malfunctioning back left turn signal that is half as bright as the other signal and flashes rapidly. I am electrically challenged and not sure how to go about diagnosing the problem, and whether the problem is in the signal itself, the wiring, or the wire connection to the truck.

My suspicion is that it might be a ground problem. Keystone sent me a brand new turn signal to try replacing it, but I found that the original signal is glued in place. How do I go about breaking the glue seal without damaging something?

Man, do I have a bunch of issues. Fortunately they are relatively small in the big scheme of things, but I’m trying to get the new bugs out. Thank you in advance for anyone’s suggestions and help with this matter.
Benbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbill View Post
I have a 2020 Keystone Montana 3921 that has a malfunctioning back left turn signal that is half as bright as the other signal and flashes rapidly. I am electrically challenged and not sure how to go about diagnosing the problem, and whether the problem is in the signal itself, the wiring, or the wire connection to the truck.

My suspicion is that it might be a ground problem. Keystone sent me a brand new turn signal to try replacing it, but I found that the original signal is glued in place. How do I go about breaking the glue seal without damaging something?

Man, do I have a bunch of issues. Fortunately they are relatively small in the big scheme of things, but I’m trying to get the new bugs out. Thank you in advance for anyone’s suggestions and help with this matter.
You're guess at a poor ground is a very probable cause. I'm guessing it's flashing rapidly when connected to the tv because the truck's systems see a "defective" turn lamp and flashes rapidly to warn you.

The "glue" you speak of, is that on the tail lamp itself? You are most likely seeing silicone sealant. Just carefully peal it away with a plastic putty knife or a cut it with a razor knife. Once the lense is off check the lamp in the socket (the outside "barrel" of the bulb fits in a copper socket, this is the ground. Any discoloration, green tinge, is corrosion. Since it sounds like the dealer gave you a new tail lamp assembly just replace it.

Make sure the sealant behind the unit is intact (typically butyl tape) and apply a small bead of silicone back on the top of the fixture.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

If it's just 1 side, I agree it is likely a bad ground. If both rapid flash that can be a sign of bad flash unit in the TV or one not strong enough to work the extra lights. Back in the day when I used 1/2 ton tow vehicles, I would buy a heavy duty flash unit to make the lights flash correctly.
Tracking down a faulty ground takes time and if not at the light itself difficult. Ask them how to remove the light, I have never seen them glued onto the trailer. Normally screwed on and a line of sealant maybe across the top.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Glue across the top of the light is probably Proflex or proseal.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote