Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2020, 10:59 PM   #21
Ken / Claudia

My guess is that with a proper PDI you will find problems, most do. Than what? take it home fix it yourself or take back to dealer. This is how I would handle it.
I have 40 years of RV use and ownership. Plan on spending 3 hours or more hours to get a good PDI done. Before you leave decide how that stuff gets fixed.
Use the unit near the dealer for a night or two, you will find more stuff that is in need or repair or you will have questions about what needs looked at. Decide what to do take home or take back to dealer for repair.
During the PDI your opening every cabinet, door, turning everything on/off, sit on every seat, stand in the shower. Lay on the bed. Locate all the drain valves. The list is long. Until you get your family all inside the unit you're only guessing it will work for you. Doing all that might prevent buyers remorse and repair issues and we hear about that on here a lot. "If I knew about xxx I would not have purchased it"
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:17 AM   #22
NH_Bulldog

We bought our unit 750 miles away. Any small stuff I have handled myself. Dealer gave me the info for a local dealer/service shop that doesn’t sell our brand but does do Keystone warranty work. If/when something big comes up, they will handle for me. So don’t let distance be an issue in your purchase decision.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #23
captcolour

If you haven't done so, you should check out the 239ml locally with the whole family to make sure it is the right floor plan. If you buy from Holman, you wouldn't have to bring the whole family since they have seen one already and will allow you to focus more on the walk-through.

I can run out to Holman if you want. Earliest would be next weekend. I could at least make sure the unit doesn't have obvious issues that they should fix before you get there. Or since they have multiple units, tell you which one seems better than the other and they can hold that one for you.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #24
rudyunknown

Yes we did visit the local dealer and we checked the camper with the whole family. Wife and the kids know the layout of the camper and we liked it for the economy of space.

I don’t think I have the time to camp out one of the nights locally, because we were thinking of leaving Friday night and making it halfway to Ohio and getting there early Saturday morning. Get the PDI done over afternoon and then try and head back either Saturday or Sunday depending on what issues show up. We might even stay back one more day if needed.

Thanks Captacolor I might take u up on the offer. Will message you

Thanks again
rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #25
Frank G

I keep reading of "Camping Out" Remember you will be in the Cincinnati OH area and it is winter In Ohio. I know of no open campgrounds. If you de-winterize you will have to winterize before heading back to PA.. I know the next 10 days have a favorable forecast, but at any time the area can go below freezing for weeks. It is unadvisable to start A/C units below 50 deg.F and absorption refrigerators will not work below 32 deg.F. You will have a good opportunity to check out the heating system.

Ask if the PDI can be done in a service bay. Ours was done outside with a electrical hook-up, no water or drains in March.

I am not trying to be negative but the reality of winter is real, that is why we now reside in Florida.

Good Luck
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #26
rudyunknown

That actually a good point. I will ask them that too, inside PDI if possible. And only thing I would like to check is the plumbing as some people suggested. It’s not too hard to ask them to show me where the RV fluid needs to go after the water test if they do it for me.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #27
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
That actually a good point. I will ask them that too, inside PDI if possible. And only thing I would like to check is the plumbing as some people suggested. It’s not too hard to ask them to show me where the RV fluid needs to go after the water test if they do it for me.
There is a PDI worksheet that is usually offered (somewhere from this site) that you might want to take a look at if you are going to examine the trailer yourself. Then you can ask questions on how to find or check out any of the items. I would do the PDI then have your dealer winterize the trailer if it is going to sit somewhere in sub freezing temps for awhile before use. No point checking all the plumbing only to have it freeze a bit later.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:48 AM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

My only advise on the PDI is, if you plan on using the checklist it will take you some time. Advise the dealer beforehand so they can make arrangements to stage your unit where it won’t be in the way. Walks generally are 1.5 hrs but a full PDI by a customer can take 3-4.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #29
rudyunknown

Can someone please point me to the location of the PDI specific to Passport if possible. When i search for PDI on search, it dosnt give me any link as it is too short a character length.

Found this on the site,
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf

Is this it?
Old 01-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

There is no "brand specific" PDI checklist on this forum and I don't suspect you'll find one anywhere for a Keystone product.

Here is the link to the "generic" PDI that has been used by members for at least the last 8 or 9 years: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5129

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #31
Ken / Claudia

Rudy,
I am also one who thinks it's important to do your research and look at saving money before making a big purchase. Sounds like this may be a win- win for you. Hope post #23 member can help you to maybe point to which of the three trailers might be the better. You heard it from several on here do not rush or skip a good PDI. Going on 15 years for me being on RV forums and there is still many who post with bad feelings over not doing that PDI. Of course some don't know a screw driver from a wrench and that makes matters worse with the little things.
Work out with the dealer how you want any problems dealt with. On RVs I have in the past accepted a lower price or had a contact written up with the needed repairs listed to be fixed on their dime.
Keep the thread going on your purchase and post about further camping adventures.
BTY, You tube has saved me a lot of time and money working on boats, rvs, our vehicles and even the home.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #32
wiredgeorge

All trailers are basically the same until you get into very high end trailers with gee gaws most of us won't have to endure or work on. PEX check, let them explain how to work the propane regulator if you have two tanks, water pump check, all switches accounted for. check trim, etc etc.... PDI for ANY RV will be essentially the same. Look around this site and see what folks ask most after they buy their first camper... same stuff mostly and let them show you how to hook up OTA, cable and sat TV etc. Never campers have gotten pretty sophisticated.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #33
Greggde

Try to purchase from the closest dealer that you are comfortable with. We custom ordered our 2019/2020 373 Keystone Fusion Toyhauler from an old established dealer in Portland , Oregon and have regretted it. We just couldn't bring ourselves to deal with the two So Cal dealers after the 7 visits over a period of one year and numerous attempts to bait and switch. Now we are faced with minor warranty issues that the So Cal Boys do not want to deal with. Thank goodness we bought a keystone as they are working with our problems
Greggde

Note:
Be sure to check the certificate of origin (normally) at front of Trailer this will show you the date of manufacture! I personally would be suspect of any Trailer that had endured to much
inclement weather as Roof's are one of the weakest links.
Greggde
Greggde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #34
JAS

Extended Warranty Pricing?

I would check the pricing of warranty with Good Sam before buying. When I bought my last new trailer, it was a third the price of any of the warranties offered by my Dealer.
JAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #35
rudyunknown

Thanks for reminding me although more than the warranty i need the insurance for the 5 year period when the TT will be on a monthly payment with a bank, i went to their website and got a quote, and i was surprised to even get a call from them.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #36
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
Thanks for reminding me although more than the warranty i need the insurance for the 5 year period when the TT will be on a monthly payment with a bank, i went to their website and got a quote, and i was surprised to even get a call from them.
The bank or CU will only require a standard insurance policy similar to your auto insurance. Check with your insurance agent. A lot of folks here use Progressive, Geico, Allstate, etc. You do not need an extended warrantee that covers the maintenance items.

Gap insurance, If you are underwater with your first payment you may need to consider gap insurance. The closer at the RV dealer will be more than happy to sell you a policy.$$$. Here is how I calculate "underwater", at closing you must out of pocket at least 10% of the base cost plus any addon's including taxes, accessories and dealer fees.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #37
Mainer

Be careful loading it!

We have a 204RBS towing with a factory tow Tundra. Pulls great, but that forward stowage and FW tank forward put tongue weight well over 1000 when we first loaded it. Cargo/passenger Cap is 1425, too close for comfort.

We are careful loading it, especially if we want to carry water.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #38
rudyunknown

HUGE thanks to CAPTCOLOR/Bruce to go out of his way and check the camper for us. Bit of a background about Bruce too, he was in Puerto Rico this whole week and then came back late on friday and went to check the camper for me on saturday.
I cant say how thanksful i am for him to go and check the camper for me. I got to see 50 more pictures of the Trailer and he found a few cosmetic issues which i will forward to the dealership, i hope they address everything before we get there.

I was 70% into the buy and had set up the bank to get the paperwork ready, but now after Bruce's feedback i am excited to get there next weekend to get the camper.

Love the feedback and love the people here, old school forums is still the best place.

Thanks
Rudy
Old 01-12-2020, 07:36 AM   #39
captcolour

No good deed goes unpunished. While at Holman's we decided to look at a few Alpine's. Wow, we really liked the 3711KP. Uh-oh.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #40
rudyunknown

Thanks everyone in the group. Made the 600 (1200 round way) mile trip to Ohio to get the 239ML back home. Impressed with the Holman Dealership, no delay in the walk thru. It was pouring cats and dogs so the outside inspection was quick is. The walk thru guy didn’t let me get on his ladder to check the roof because of insurance issues but gladly took pictures for me all around to show me everything up there looked good.
Inside we went thru everything, laid down on all the beds, turned the Dining table to bed and even checked that too. Next went thru all the windows opened and closed everything the door lock was off which he fixed in 3 mins. I didn’t get to test the plumbing line because they had winterized but I made sure he showed me each and every water connection. Asked him to open the screwed panel for the pump and how to get the quick disconnect for winterizing the camper.
Then when all the PDI checklist was done, I told the guy that I am not coming back for any warranty work unless the roof blew off. Asked him to tell
Me what can go wrong on the trailer. Water he said is always an issue, so he said make sure the front and the back seals are good, lay down Dicor every year, when I said eternabond, he said he never did one. But thinks that dicor is still better as eternabond when u try and take it out all rip the rubber roof.
Also told me to check the water connections below the sink, said it take less than 5 mins to check under the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink. He showed me where there are connections and where there are straight pipe fittings. Told me usually the connection get loose when we travel, so just hand tighten them or feel them.
Showed me the access points for the bathroom shower and how to disassemble them by which panel.
Overall big advice check the P tubes below sinks every time and then check the shower connection once in a season.

Only downside was all the salt and snow that got sprayed over this weekend. Planning to give. A wash this thrusday.
Thanks everyone again, and special mention to Bruce

Tags
passport