Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
gearhead

John...Woodworth LA?

John, you lived here, what is it about Woodworth LA? Has to be the cleanest town in LA. They have their own distinctive signposts. Everything is neat as a pin and clean. All new fire station, new police station, community building, etc. Grass is mowed, no litter! They have their own oil well?
We are at Indian Creek but checked out Kinkaid. Not bad, more woodsy feel than Indian Creek.
Checked on the family in Melder cemetery. They are still there.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

LOL... Woodworth has an "independent money source"... Try driving through town at 46 MPH and you'll donate to all that "clean, neatly manicured lawn"...

That said, yeah, Kincaid is "woodsier" than Indian Creek. One of the biggest alligators I've ever had the pleasure of running from was at Indian Creek. We were camped on the point next to the boat ramp, out about 5AM, just as the sun was coming up and that "monster" was laying on the grass next to the boat ramp, watching me as I walked by. He started in my direction, I stopped, he came faster, I ran, he ran, I was faster, but he didn't stop until he was under our trailer. After a few minutes, he ambled down to the water, slipped in and swam away. I haven't camped at Indian Creek Reservoir since....

When you head into Alexandria and enter the south traffic circle, that F-104 sitting on the pole in front of the Rayford Building, that's where my DW worked when she first started as an advisor in the mental health field. Lots of stories go with that airplane, some we can even discuss in public LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
gearhead

Yep Woodworth is crawling with police. I suppose cost vs. benefit it works.
We came through the Alec south circle on the way back from Kinkaid. I had my eyeballs focused on the oncoming traffic and could have driven past the Eiffiel Tower and not seen it, much less a F104.
We drove the Indian Creek loop by the boat ramp and the beach. Discussed bringing the grandkids to the beach next year. They did have a sign "Beware of wild animals" on the beach. It DOES look like gator and water moccasin territory. Also has a bear crossing sigh on the road into the park.
But it is one of the nicer parks in the general area. We had scouted it before, but this is our first stay.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It's a nice campground, just watch the kids closely !!! There was talk 15 years ago about putting full hookups on the loop next to the boat landing. Back then it was electricity only with water available every 4th or 5th site.

Kincaid doesn't (didn't anyway) have full hookups either, it was electricity only, but the blacktop pads were in much better shape than the ones at Indian Creek. If you manage to get back out to Kincaid, Tunk's is noted as being "the best place to eat crawfish" in the area. They're on the west side of Kincaid, past the dam. We used to take the boat over to Tunk's from the campground. Many nights we were far too "affected" to walk or swim back to the trailer, and the boat normally "got lost on the trip"... It's heck to navigate when both your eyes are looking in different directions

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I have to agree with John. I have family in Alexandria and went to Tunk's not knowing anything about it. We had a party of about 15, tried many things but it finally migrated to crawfish; and they are very good. Went back 2 more times. Had no idea that I was looking at John's old house across the lake when we were wandering around on the deck/shore. And, if not careful, the ambience is conducive to having a hard time getting back to "wherever"....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
gearhead

We did a quick visit to Tunks when we were there yesterday. They weren't open yet but I walked around on the porch and peeped in the windows. Looked plenty good to me.
Sadly Kinkaids RV pads are crumbling away at the edges. Really needs some work.
All the pads in Indian Creek are concrete.
But, we found one of the nicest RV parks I've been in. Grand Ecore COE park. Just north of Natchitoches. Very nice. I asked about vacancies during the Christmas festivals and they said they are booked for the weekends, but call, they always have cancellations.
I will have to find a different way to get there. I will not drive I 49 north of Alexandria ever again. We tried Hwy 1 back but it was just as bad. Will take awhile for my eyeballs to stop jumping. It is rough. I'll go up through east Texas if I go back. Of course that's no garauntee of smooth sailing.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
Laredo Tugger

I just came through I-49 South not long ago,yes a rough patch of road but I thought I-20 eastbound out of TX into LA was the worst I had ever seen. There really are more bad roads than good, at least in my experiences.
And yes, we did stay one night in the Grand Ecore COE park. A little off the beaten path but well worth it. We were one of 3 campers for the night,they have 59 spots. Real nice place.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
gearhead

I don't know if I ever ran I-20, especially in Texas. Usually going east on I-10, or out of Texarkana on I-30.
I-10 around Beaumont has been terrible but is slowly getting better.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I just came through I-49 South not long ago,yes a rough patch of road but I thought I-20 eastbound out of TX into LA was the worst I had ever seen. There really are more bad roads than good, at least in my experiences.
And yes, we did stay one night in the Grand Ecore COE park. A little off the beaten path but well worth it. We were one of 3 campers for the night,they have 59 spots. Real nice place.
RMc
I20 E out of TX is as bad as I've encountered - in certain spots. Shreveport is bad and Jackson, MS is worse but whoever designed I20 in LA was either short sighted, near sighted, short on funds or one that had a sadistic streak enjoying those non stop, pounding joints that are there for nothing more than pulverizin a travelers teeth/joints/vehicle.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
LHaven

Same guy did I-10 from Lake Charles to Lafayette, I do believe. It's like getting your butt goosed by an oil-field grasshopper.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

You can take 28West (the road to Kindaid) to Leesville, then 63 to Jasper, catch 190 to Livingston and I69 down to Houston. It's a relatively good road and the way we used to tow to Houston to avoid I10 and all the traffic.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
gearhead

Yeah there are several options for getting to Natchitoches. Sour Lake to 96 and up to Many, LA. looks good.
I had to buy 2 new front tires today. Truck was shaking itself to death. Discount Tire diagnosed 1 real bad tread/belt separation and the other was well on it's way. Not sure if I-49 caused it or it was just coincident the belts failed while on I-49. Cooper HTP M+S. $448 including the "protection certificates" that I never use. I wanted the Sailun all terrains when the Nexens failed. Was hoping for more than 20,000 miles.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I've got about 500 miles on my Sailun 275 70R18's and they "ride like silk". They're more quiet than the Michelin AT's and no "squirm or squiggle" on the road. I like them, and so far would recommend them....

If you make it back out to Tunk's, when standing on the deck (opposite end from the parking lot), look across the lake, you'll see a "helluva monster house". That's Rob and Ann Rayford's place (son of the guy that owns the building with the F104 in front). Our old house was just to the left of the Rayford's place, in the small cove. It's the one with the biggest boathouse in the cove.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #14
gearhead

I'm pretty sure we will back. Still a little family left in the area. We will scope out the boat house. Makes for a good 4-5 day mid week trip just for some different scenery.