Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #41
cliff

About wrong way drivers: Phoenix has its major share of them andthey are usually attributed to DUI's. However, driving with the fiver in and around AZ we have almost been a wrong way driver because the ramps are not well marked. Yes, I was stone cold sober. The biggest thing we noticed was in California where the have the exit ramps well signed all around. They have signs and arrows at car eye level pointing the direction of the ramp, along with truck eye level signs doing the same. If you go into those ramps you're way too far gone. AZis now playing with electronics to detect wrong way driving. Too late. Maybe better signage at exit ramps might be a better and cheaper route to try first.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #42
FlyboyD8

LOL, Back roads mean something different to many people! I have never lived where cable tv was available so I would suggest you stay off the "back roads" with your RV. Now I really enjoy travailing on secondary roads verses the Interstates. I generally get far better milage and arrive nearly as fast as Interstates.

I currently tow a 08 31 RLDS with my, 1990 Dodge D350 w/ the great 12 valve.

Central NY

Ken
FlyboyD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #43
rburckhart

Took the “scenic route” once from AZ to OH; wouldn’t do it again! Too many small towns and too few fueling stations.
2013 F-250 SD 6.2 gas
Siberian Husky named "Willow"
rburckhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #44
CWtheMan

When traveling in the vast expanses found in the western USA states the highway scenery is very similar. Traveling the interstate highways allows you to just keep on going until some situation like the need of fuel forces you to pull off the highway. The US highway system is going to take you thru towns and cities where the continuous traveling monotony is interrupted.

This first picture was taken traveling west on I80 in WY heading for UT. On this highway the truckers catch you so fast you’re surprised when they go whizzing by and their wake rocks your whole rig…. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...pictureid=6776

In this next picture we are heading south from Fallon, NV to Las Vegas on US-95. Not much difference in the view except the traffic is sparse with hardly any 18 wheelers.... http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...pictureid=6775
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #45
Ragermack

When the kids were little we traveled the west and camped in an Econoline van with top carriers or occasionally my in-laws 26' Winnebago brave. Since the kids moved on My wife and I have usually go in an open top jeep Wrangler with a couple of cargo carriers attached. We have always stayed on the back roads as much as possible. Well the tent camping just lost its appeal over the years so we have just purchased a 2017 Cougar 28RKS Our Tow vehicle is a 2018 crew cab long box Bighorn Dodge diesel. We have been making local trips in the last couple of months and will begin longer and longer excursions in the spring. My inclination is to continue sticking to the back roads as much as we can, but I do have concerns with not only fuel location but with the ability to get into some of the stations in small towns With a tall trailer and almost 50' total length. There are apps to help find fuel but not awning heights etc. I'm just curious if anyone has had to drop a trailer mid travel day to get fuel?
Ragermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragermack View Post
When the kids were little we traveled the west and camped in an Econoline van with top carriers or occasionally my in-laws 26' Winnebago brave. Since the kids moved on My wife and I have usually go in an open top jeep Wrangler with a couple of cargo carriers attached. We have always stayed on the back roads as much as possible. Well the tent camping just lost its appeal over the years so we have just purchased a 2017 Cougar 28RKS Our Tow vehicle is a 2018 crew cab long box Bighorn Dodge diesel. We have been making local trips in the last couple of months and will begin longer and longer excursions in the spring. My inclination is to continue sticking to the back roads as much as we can, but I do have concerns with not only fuel location but with the ability to get into some of the stations in small towns With a tall trailer and almost 50' total length. There are apps to help find fuel but not awning heights etc. I'm just curious if anyone has had to drop a trailer mid travel day to get fuel?

Never dropped a trailer per se to have to get fuel. I do however wait until I land at my camp location then detach to make my final fill up of the day.

Awning heights have not prove a problem for us....yet, but I pull a bumper pull and it maxes out at about 11'6". Most modern stations have taller canopies. I did drive around a building at a convenience store to get to an accessible pump that would let me leave focusing on the awning. I completely lost track that I was driving under the eave of the building at the corner. Got out, looked back and but for the grace of God I would have taken of both ACs but I did not get that far over - I just completely ignored the eave hanging over us while looking at the pumps, canopy and how I was going to get out. To me the key is to start looking early. In rural far flung areas at 1/2 tank I will take the next station I can get in - lots of them you can't. In metro areas you don't have to be so picky. We usually want a break, potty, bottle of water or something by then anyway. I will not exit the freeway if there is only one station because it probably won't work. I like at least 2 lanes both directions in case I have to turn around. I start looking well before I get to the station looking for ability to exit without backing, steep entrances etc.

To us backroads are nice because you can see some varied scenery and lots of little "things" that are indicative of the area whether it be roadside sweet potato sellers, boiled peanuts, Indians selling their wares...you won't see that on an interstate. We try to mix and match the 2; I like the time I can make on an interstate if I have a fixed destination I need to be at for a fixed purpose.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #47
skmct

Install a auxiliary tank in bed you can go all day and fuel up after unhooking
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #48
rlh1957

Know your options

Whichever is your preferred road type... always know the alternatives and alternates for detour that may occur at anytime.

GPS and club trip planning services are great, but nothing beats a good detailed road map or atlas. Also go online and zoom in on the roads on map view and satellite view, to get an idea how the road looks close up.
Then keep up with up to date postings and broadcasts if road conditions. We always plan each day that we may have to change routes ir even delay in an area before proceeding.

Know your limit and drive below that. Stay safe and enjoy the trip whatever it may bring.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:52 AM   #49
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Whichever is your preferred road type... always know the alternatives and alternates for detour that may occur at anytime.

GPS and club trip planning services are great, but nothing beats a good detailed road map or atlas. Also go online and zoom in on the roads on map view and satellite view, to get an idea how the road looks close up.
Then keep up with up to date postings and broadcasts if road conditions. We always plan each day that we may have to change routes ir even delay in an area before proceeding.

Know your limit and drive below that. Stay safe and enjoy the trip whatever it may bring.
I know we overdo it - the GS router (I wish they'd hurry up and figure out what they are going to replace the now discontinued version with; the temporary version leaves a lot to be desired); the on-line AAA router (I sure do miss the old TripTiks with their detailed area maps inside the fold); either Bing or Google maps; GPS and of course as stated above, good maps (state maps obtained at visitor centers and the trucker's atlas). I like to map out a few routes (including side roads) and know my options so if they are needed I won't (typically) be surprised.

With all the technology available today, it makes one wonder how we ever managed to find our way or make reservations in the olden days.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:58 AM   #50
bobnelms

I'm for sticking to the interstates. A few reasons: 1) I've gotten myself into too many jambs on back roads. Hairpin turns, low bridges, bridges with low weight limits. 2) In case of a breakdown, in general I'd think it's much easier to get help when on an interstate than on a back road. 3) Safety -- I've found myself in some seedy looking places on back road. 4) BUMPY ROADS. This one's a bit of a "wash," since some of the interstates are TERRIBLY bumpy -- but in general back roads are worse.
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:44 AM   #51
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
I'm for sticking to the interstates. A few reasons: 1) I've gotten myself into too many jambs on back roads. Hairpin turns, low bridges, bridges with low weight limits. 2) In case of a breakdown, in general I'd think it's much easier to get help when on an interstate than on a back road. 3) Safety -- I've found myself in some seedy looking places on back road. 4) BUMPY ROADS. This one's a bit of a "wash," since some of the interstates are TERRIBLY bumpy -- but in general back roads are worse.
I think there is a difference between "Back Roads" and "Secondary Hwys". I believe this was mentioned before.
I would rather travel on secondary roads in bad weather than interstates as the crazy's that think their fancy all wheel drive car with all the gizmos will allow them to drive 70 on snow or ice covered roads. I don't see 30 to 50 car pile ups on secondary roads.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #52
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburckhart View Post
Took the “scenic route” once from AZ to OH; wouldn’t do it again! Too many small towns and too few fueling stations.
Some of us think this is a feature.
Small towns in the mid west are the real America and I've never had problems with fuel.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #53
Duramike

RV Life GPS

Has anyone tried the RV Life GPS? We are planning a February trip to Texas. Thought I would give that one a try unless someone screams “do not use that one”!

Thanks,
Mike
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #54
jbeliera

Hello as to your question choice of roads. You will, I am sure, find many opinions on this topic because there are many variables to consider when choosing a route(s) for your trip. I won't get into the weeds on this one because I will mostly talk about how well you have done your trip planning homework.

I am a retired long haul trucker and now a proud owner of a 30 foot Laredo 5er. I will give you some advice that may not be on the minds of most campers when it comes to secondary roads verses interstates.

There are, I am sure, many places you can go to get information for road travel hazards and or conditions. I have found over the years two tools I have found invaluable in my over the road experiences. These are only two among others of some of the publications that have saved my bacon too many times to count. With the internet now there are so many more like aps for your phone or aps for your tablet.. It has been my experience that a good old fashion book or paper map are still good hard copies to have with you in a pinch in a world of lost signals or malfunctioning electronics.

I had these two publications with me all the time as a backup.....

The first one is a current copy of The Motor Carriers' Road Atlas.. This will give you all the information that big rig drivers use to stay out of trouble state by state road by road. Pulling a trailer camper or motor home of any size, will put you in a small version of what truckers have to contend with every day when it comes to traveling with over size vehicles bigger than your grandmother's Buick.

The second publication is one that is good for any one pulling a camper trailer or motor home also. The Mountain Directory is a four book series. It covers the four major sections of the country that will give you a heads up on how dangerous a mountain pass that you may not even know about may be on your route which you are planning to travel. It will describe what to look for with your heavy, long rig Yes some of our camping trailers can get you into trouble like some of our modern day toy hauler campers. These mountain publications will give you locations descriptions of thousands of mountain passes and steep grades that you should have some first hand knowledge about before you encounter them unbeknownst to you and save you from getting in over your head.

It has been my experience your trip will only be as good as your preparations or pre-planning is. My advise to you is try to eliminate as many of the unknowns in your road trip that may cause your happy camper outing to become a nightmare. Do your home work and your family will thank you for a safe and pleasant journey. It will depend on your trip planning and your equipment among other things as to how safe your route is. Besides isn't getting there and back safely your number one priority?

Happy Trails To You
jbeliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #55
flybouy
Site Team

We camped in PA over the LD weekend, rural roads up and back. Both days at least 5 or 6 people turning left from apposing direction cut me off when the light turned green. I don't mind so much if they "beat me out" immediately after the light turns green. But noooo, they waited 'till I was almost in the middle of the intersection and gaining speed! I had to hit the breaks and the train horns simultaneously. I think a couple of them had some extra laundry to do when they got home.

Then yesterday in PA driving down a 55 m.p.h. zone 2 idiots. Going down hill, a "T" intersection to the right. An opposing Super Duty pulling a low boy with a tractor cuts me off. I was able to brake enough for that but from the right 3 girls in an old Toyota pulls out from my right. Thankfully, no one was behind the first guy in the opposing lane or there would have been a bunch of people in the hospital or morgue today. The train horns and the WDH sway bars both got a work out on that one.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:37 AM   #56
wiredgeorge

I like to take secondary roads whenever possible. I am a motorcyclist of almost 50 years and long ago developed a sense of potential danger from other drivers or road situations. I also was employed in a profession where operational awareness was a necessity if you wanted to stay alive and seldom have close calls on the road. Vultures are about the worst outside the cities in Texas as those stupid things are loathe to leave the buffet table and when you honk before getting to them, they often take their time to stop eating and fly away at a real leisurely pace. Hitting one would ruin your day in a truck and even more so on a motorcycle.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #57
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I like to take secondary roads whenever possible. I am a motorcyclist of almost 50 years and long ago developed a sense of potential danger from other drivers or road situations. I also was employed in a profession where operational awareness was a necessity if you wanted to stay alive and seldom have close calls on the road. Vultures are about the worst outside the cities in Texas as those stupid things are loathe to leave the buffet table and when you honk before getting to them, they often take their time to stop eating and fly away at a real leisurely pace. Hitting one would ruin your day in a truck and even more so on a motorcycle.
It's not a matter of "situational awareness" but rather a greater amount of traffic and inconsiderate drivers that are the dangers here. There's no amount of "situational awareness" that can prevent an idiot from crossing over the highway in front of you without a turn signal.

I can "read" drivers fairly well from observing their driving behaviour but I don't have ESP to tell when someone will realize that they need to turn and apparently think the world ends and they will fall off the edge of it if they go straight.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:14 AM   #58
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Some of us think this is a feature.
Small towns in the mid west are the real America and I've never had problems with fuel.
^^^^ THIS !!!

If the objective of the trip is the destination (and the travel is just a nuisance between leaving home and getting to the destination) then the interstate system is the fastest means to get to the destination...

On the other hand, if the trip "starts when you leave home and ends when you get back to the driveway", then traveling secondary roads is the "scenic way to see much more of America"... We prefer to travel the "more leisurely pace" provided by secondary roads, the quaint towns, often overlooked sites and curiosities found in "off the expressway travel"....

Besides, how else can you find "the world's best pork cutlet sandwich" or "that quilt shop with hand made quilts next to the lemonade stand"...

I often wonder how many people "rush down the interstate with blinders on, oblivious of what they're passing up" in their quest to "get to Route 66 in Arizona" so they can "see a glimpse of "rural America" ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #59
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's not a matter of "situational awareness" but rather a greater amount of traffic and inconsiderate drivers that are the dangers here. There's no amount of "situational awareness" that can prevent an idiot from crossing over the highway in front of you without a turn signal.

I can "read" drivers fairly well from observing their driving behaviour but I don't have ESP to tell when someone will realize that they need to turn and apparently think the world ends and they will fall off the edge of it if they go straight.

After years of riding, I can almost ESP sense the idiot who is preparing to make a left turn in front of you and do agree that traffic density is a major consideration and once in the city extra awareness needs to be taken as city people tend to have no patience for either motorcycles of trucks pulling heavy trailers. They tend to cut you off and tail gate. I believe there will be a special place for these folks in the afterlife!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #60
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
^^^^ THIS !!!

If the objective of the trip is the destination (and the travel is just a nuisance between leaving home and getting to the destination) then the interstate system is the fastest means to get to the destination...

On the other hand, if the trip "starts when you leave home and ends when you get back to the driveway", then traveling secondary roads is the "scenic way to see much more of America"... We prefer to travel the "more leisurely pace" provided by secondary roads, the quaint towns, often overlooked sites and curiosities found in "off the expressway travel"....

Besides, how else can you find "the world's best pork cutlet sandwich" or "that quilt shop with hand made quilts next to the lemonade stand"...

I often wonder how many people "rush down the interstate with blinders on, oblivious of what they're passing up" in their quest to "get to Route 66 in Arizona" so they can "see a glimpse of "rural America" ...
Absolutely! I'm reminded of a scene in the animated movie Cars, where Sally is telling McQueen about the old days before the Interstate system.

Sally : Forty years ago, that interstate down there didn't exist.

Lightning McQueen : Really?

Sally : Yeah. Back then, cars came across the country a whole different way.

Lightning McQueen : How do you mean?

Sally : Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote