Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #21
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure about why you're having issues with hitching/unhitching. Do you mean the clearance between the trailer and the tailgate when the tailgate is lowered to back under or drive out from under the trailer? If that's the "nearly straight in line" issue (so the tailgate won't hit the trailer) that you're having issues with, the distance from the hitch to the tailgate is the same on both the 6.75 and the 8 foot beds. On the newer trucks with taller bed sides/tailgate, most of us are dealing with anywhere from 5" to 10" of clearance between the tailgate edge and the trailer front, with the tail gate down. It's essentially the same with either the short (standard) bed and the long bed versions.
I am guessing he means because with his auto slider there is a wedge on the kingpin to make it not rotate in the hitch. You have to hook up straight so that the jaws will engage. From any other angle the hitch head would have to be turned to hookup.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
I am guessing he means because with his auto slider there is a wedge on the kingpin to make it not rotate in the hitch. You have to hook up straight so that the jaws will engage. From any other angle the hitch head would have to be turned to hookup.
That would be the same limitation (using that hitch) whether it's in a standard (short) bed or a long bed truck, so if he keeps the same hitch, moving to a long bed truck would have the same limitation. In other words, it's not the truck bed length causing the issue. Granted, with a long bed truck, he could decide that he doesn't need the sliding hitch. That may be what he's considering, but, it's not the bed length that's his "frustration" with having to be at a specific angle, it's the hitch he's using.

That said, all of us, if we back into the king pin with the tail gate down, will hit the trailer if we're at an angle greater than a "few degrees". As bed sides and tailgates get taller, when the tailgate is lowered, the trailer gets "closer"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That would be the same limitation (using that hitch) whether it's in a standard (short) bed or a long bed truck, so if he keeps the same hitch, moving to a long bed truck would have the same limitation. In other words, it's not the truck bed length causing the issue. Granted, with a long bed truck, he could decide that he doesn't need the sliding hitch. That may be what he's considering, but, it's not the bed length that's his "frustration" with having to be at a specific angle, it's the hitch he's using.

That said, all of us, if we back into the king pin with the tail gate down, will hit the trailer if we're at an angle greater than a "few degrees". As bed sides and tailgates get taller, when the tailgate is lowered, the trailer gets "closer"....
Ah I understand your comment now. Maybe he means with the 8' bed he has no need for the slider and can go to a conventional hitch?

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:30 AM   #24
greyhair

My brother also owns a Ram and we do RV together. He also uses 5th wheel and uses a sliding hitch since he has truck beds is 8 ft.
greyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #25
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaniel View Post
I have a 2016 Ram 3500 Megacab short bed. I pull a Grand Design Solitude 310GK using an Andersen Ultimate. No problems at all with this hitch.

Just received my Anderson and it will not drop into the slots of the standard rails. Off by .062" Did you have any issues???
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #26
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Jaywalker View Post
Just received my Anderson and it will not drop into the slots of the standard rails. Off by .062" Did you have any issues???
My 2016 has factory 5th wheel prep so the hitch incorporates the gooseneck connection. No rails.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #27
MN-Clark

My rig:
2015 Ram 3500 Mega cab with factory 5th wheel/gooseneck hitch prep.

2019 39' 5th wheel toy hauler.

Pullrite auto slider bought from RV dealer.

After cresting over the learning curve, my beautiful bride & I are very happy with this setup. The sliding hitch works well and has made our trips and parking easier. I've not yet had any problems hooking up or dropping off at any camp ground we've visited.
MN-Clark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed