Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2023, 06:43 AM   #1
KootenayCamper

Brand New Passport LONG list of issues

I recently purchased a 2022 Passport SL 221BH. I fell in love with the layout, storage, usability of this rig for my family. As soon as I started using the trailer (4 times now in total for a combined day total of 9 days, no off road, just some glamping so far).

The amount of small issues slowly grew, from the shower leaking and repaired at dealer to leaking again, the fridge and freezer handles snapped off, numerous trim pieces falling off, drawer edges de-laminating, drawer bottoms dragging badly on frames, ceiling over bunk falling down (repaired once at dealer, falling again and can't hold curtain anymore with 17 holes now in it), bathroom entire door frame is loose and moves around, hole in floor along back bathroom wall under the bottom bunk (storage slide through area), black under belly of trailer doesn't come all the way to the the back of the trailer hence exposing the black tarp wrap stuff (that is torn in places exposing particle wood to water while towing), entrance door keeps warping (been through 2 doors already, 2nd door is now not sealing well at bottom left corner), folding couch hinges were installed so crooked that the screws ripped out of the wood base cabinet while transporting, causing the couch cushion to become torn, can't reattach this now because the wood frame inside the cabinet is split so impossible to screw into it (no longer have a useable bed), awning gutter leaks so the outdoor kitchen fills up with water, ...there is more. I know that much of this is cosmetic and my dealer told me to not get hung up on cosmetic stuff because it's all fixable.

I have the trailer back at the dealership now for a 3rd time. They told me some of these repairs are too big for Keystone to issue a full warranty repair so most likely they will just fix it as best as possible (such as hole in floor, they said they will cover it with a piece of trim, and the underbelly being too short to reach the back of the trailer, they said they will fill the entire area with some kind of caustic black goopy stuff).

I am left feeling very sad inside. I was so excited to finally own a brand new trailer for my family and I. But at what point is this just not okay. My trailer has so many holes in the ceiling from them trying to fix things, holes in walls, damages that I apparently just need to not "get hung up on". Where is the quality control? The service manager jokingly said "this trailer must have been built on a Friday" ...all jokes aside, I may want a new trailer. If I am offered a new trailer am I stupid to consider something made in the same factory?

I really like the 2023 Rockwood mini light 2509s, as it offers me the same layout, which I am really stuck on. My other option from my local dealer would be a Nash, but they are heavier (which is okay as my truck can tow 10k lbs) but the Nash is much more $$ and doesn't offer the same layout.

I feel so defeated and sad inside. I don't know what to do. Please, anyone else experience anything like this? Oh and just a tid bit about me: I am a home builder, I understand that nothing is perfect when built by humans, and we do our best. I am not nit picking cosmetic things, hence why I stopped listing items, because most are fixable, but where do you draw the line. It's supposed to be "new".

Tow vehicle: 2022 GMC Sierra, AT4 Denali 3.0 Diesel
KootenayCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:24 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayCamper View Post
I recently purchased a 2022 Passport SL 221BH. I fell in love with the layout, storage, usability of this rig for my family. As soon as I started using the trailer (4 times now in total for a combined day total of 9 days, no off road, just some glamping so far). The amount of small issues slowly grew, from the shower leaking and repaired at dealer to leaking again, the fridge and freezer handles snapped off, numerous trim pieces falling off, drawer edges de-laminating, drawer bottoms dragging badly on frames, ceiling over bunk falling down (repaired once at dealer, falling again and can't hold curtain anymore with 17 holes now in it), bathroom entire door frame is loose and moves around, hole in floor along back bathroom wall under the bottom bunk (storage slide through area), black under belly of trailer doesn't come all the way to the the back of the trailer hence exposing the black tarp wrap stuff (that is torn in places exposing particle wood to water while towing), entrance door keeps warping (been through 2 doors already, 2nd door is now not sealing well at bottom left corner), folding couch hinges were installed so crooked that the screws ripped out of the wood base cabinet while transporting, causing the couch cushion to become torn, can't reattach this now because the wood frame inside the cabinet is split so impossible to screw into it (no longer have a useable bed), awning gutter leaks so the outdoor kitchen fills up with water, ...there is more. I know that much of this is cosmetic and my dealer told me to not get hung up on cosmetic stuff because it's all fixable. I have the trailer back at the dealership now for a 3rd time. They told me some of these repairs are too big for Keystone to issue a full warranty repair so most likely they will just fix it as best as possible (such as hole in floor, they said they will cover it with a piece of trim, and the underbelly being too short to reach the back of the trailer, they said they will fill the entire area with some kind of caustic black goopy stuff). I am left feeling very sad inside. I was so excited to finally own a brand new trailer for my family and I. But at what point is this just not okay. My trailer has so many holes in the ceiling from them trying to fix things, holes in walls, damages that I apparently just need to not "get hung up on". Where is the quality control? The service manager jokingly said "this trailer must have been built on a Friday" ...all jokes aside, I may want a new trailer. If I am offered a new trailer am I stupid to consider something made in the same factory? I really like the 2023 Rockwood mini light 2509s, as it offers me the same layout, which I am really stuck on. My other option from my local dealer would be a Nash, but they are heavier (which is okay as my truck can tow 10k lbs) but the Nash is much more $$ and doesn't offer the same layout. I feel so defeated and sad inside. I don't know what to do. Please, anyone else experience anything like this? Oh and just a tid bit about me: I am a home builder, I understand that nothing is perfect when built by humans, and we do our best. I am not nit picking cosmetic things, hence why I stopped listing items, because most are fixable, but where do you draw the line. It's supposed to be "new".

Tow vehicle: 2022 GMC Sierra, AT4 Denali 3.0 Diesel
First, sorry you have had so much frustration with a trailer that cost you a pretty penny. Many of the trailers built during the pandemic seem to be fraught with quality issues. I suggest it is because Keystone was selling them as fast as they could make them and hence a rushed piece of work could roll out of the factory.

Just wanted to mention, paragraphs make for easier reading.

We have had quite a few folks who have experienced a multitude of problems and have outlined these similarly to what you did. It doesn't sound like the dealer who is repairing these issues has great techs. You might be better off fixing the small stuff yourself. If my shower was leaking, I would figure out why and fix it myself. RV repairs are typically not rocket science and RV dealers certainly don't always hire experienced folks so if you are into construction you likely have more skills than the techs at your dealer.

You stated, "They told me some of these repairs are too big for Keystone to issue a full warranty repair". The dealer's statement doesn't pass the smell test. Please take some pics and describe these repairs that are too big for Keystone. Best of luck with getting things sorted and do rely on this forum for all the help you need as there is a wealth of expertise.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:00 AM   #3
SargeW

First your issues. I recommend contacting Keystone personally. Record date, times, and person you spoke to. Keep precise notes of what is being promised. Your issues are too extensive to allow all communication to come through the dealer. I may even ask to have the unit taken back to the factory for a complete overhaul of all issues. If they balk, tell them you will pursue a legal option, like getting a formal letter from a lawyer.

But first try working with them. You need to exhaust every option before going the lawyer route, or you just waste money.

When I was shopping for my Keystone 2400RB I passed on one on the dealer lot, a 2022 that was deeply discounted. It had been there at that time 270 days on the lot. It just didn't smell right and it was missing the options that I needed. Even with the dealer offering to "change out" whatever it took to sell it, my internal alarm was still going off. I opted for a 2023 model that was equipped the way I wanted it. It cost a bit more, but it had zero days on the dealer lot. I have had it for about 6 months now, and the performance and build quality has been good. Not great, but good.

Just as an FYI, I have owned 8 new RV's in 25 years, and yes, there will be problems. But there is a line when the rig crosses the "routine issue" point and becomes a major defect that keeps on happening. I think you are there.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:54 PM   #4
KootenayCamper

I really appreciate you validating my internal gut feelings. I honestly do expect to fix some minor things, I mean these are travelling tiny homes built to be light weight, so I 100% get that. I have been documenting everything and saving all my emails with both Keystone and the dealership. I spoke with Keystone yesterday and did get a response today, saying that they will forward my photos of the too short underbelly cover and torn black tarp stuff, to their service department to determine if the "damage happened there or after it left their facility" ... sigh. Ultimately, the more I sleep on this the more I feel that I just need to walk away from this particular unit and try again with the 2023 Rockwood. I just can't seem to "settle" for something else that doesn't quite offer everything we had with the Passport. The dealer has promised to at least get my unit to a place where we can at least use it for this coming weekend, as we are off to see a concert in the sunny Okanagan. Then the unit will be returned to them again on the following Monday so they can pick up where they left off on the long list of repairs. At that time I may just do the deal on the Rockwood. Thanks again for your input and validation.
Old 07-11-2023, 01:31 PM   #5
SargeW

Just a final word of caution. Be careful about continuing to use the rig "as is". If you try to press the issue with Keystone that the rig is unacceptable, the argument will be "it must be OK, as you continued to use it."

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:18 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Realize that if you "threaten legal action" or hint that you're going to take that route, Keystone will "cease to work with you on any resolution for your problems. In the past, once a lawyer is involved, even if it's just a "threatening letter to get them moving", Keystone has, in every case I know of, stopped all communications with the owner and has had their (THOR) legal team contact your lawyer, instructing him that all future communications must be sent to the THOR legal office. Additionally, they will contact your dealership that the trailer is "in litigation" and to not perform any warranty work on the trailer. They will wait until the court reaches a decision (which may be 1 week or may be 10 years) and your trailer will be "in limbo" until the court orders a resolution....

I'm not saying DO NOT seek legal advice, but rather I'm suggesting that you keep those cards very close to your chest and NEVER THREATEN Keystone with legal action unless you understand ALL the ramifications of that decision !!!!!

As for communications with Keystone, along with keeping records, I'd urge you to "summarize every phone call" in an email and send it to Keystone with the comment, "This summary is my understanding of our conversation at (time and date) in which you stated and I responded by stating ..... If there is an "ambiguious promise or plan" in any communication, make sure that you summarize your understanding of "what and when Keystone has promised the action". If they have a different interpretation, then it's up to them to clarify what they are going to do. Make sure that you have a "receipt of delivery" for every email and only send "snail mail" registered, so you have a record that it was delivered to Keystone.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:32 PM   #7
KootenayCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Realize that if you "threaten legal action" or hint that you're going to take that route, Keystone will "cease to work with you on any resolution for your problems. In the past, once a lawyer is involved, even if it's just a "threatening letter to get them moving", Keystone has, in every case I know of, stopped all communications with the owner and has had their (THOR) legal team contact your lawyer, instructing him that all future communications must be sent to the THOR legal office. Additionally, they will contact your dealership that the trailer is "in litigation" and to not perform any warranty work on the trailer. They will wait until the court reaches a decision (which may be 1 week or may be 10 years) and your trailer will be "in limbo" until the court orders a resolution....

I'm not saying DO NOT seek legal advice, but rather I'm suggesting that you keep those cards very close to your chest and NEVER THREATEN Keystone with legal action unless you understand ALL the ramifications of that decision !!!!!

As for communications with Keystone, along with keeping records, I'd urge you to "summarize every phone call" in an email and send it to Keystone with the comment, "This summary is my understanding of our conversation at (time and date) in which you stated and I responded by stating ..... If there is an "ambiguious promise or plan" in any communication, make sure that you summarize your understanding of "what and when Keystone has promised the action". If they have a different interpretation, then it's up to them to clarify what they are going to do. Make sure that you have a "receipt of delivery" for every email and only send "snail mail" registered, so you have a record that it was delivered to Keystone.....
Very good information! Thank you so much. This absolutely makes perfect sense, and I should know this, however I seem to be flailing in this situation and feeling flustered and frustrated. I really appreciate your advice. Thank you very much, and I will absolutely do all of that! Cheers
Old 07-11-2023, 08:03 PM   #8
KootenayCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Just a final word of caution. Be careful about continuing to use the rig "as is". If you try to press the issue with Keystone that the rig is unacceptable, the argument will be "it must be OK, as you continued to use it."

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Thank you for this. It is at the dealership right now, I was going to use it this weekend as we had this weekend trip planned for months, and the dealer said they would get it up to "working order" for me and that I could bring it back on Monday to finish the rest of the repairs, however I have decided to just book a hotel at our destination instead. I was thinking about it today and It just seems silly for me to try to use it in the midst of all of this. I will keep you posted Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2023, 08:18 PM   #9
KootenayCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
First, sorry you have had so much frustration with a trailer that cost you a pretty penny. Many of the trailers built during the pandemic seem to be fraught with quality issues. I suggest it is because Keystone was selling them as fast as they could make them and hence a rushed piece of work could roll out of the factory.

Just wanted to mention, paragraphs make for easier reading.

We have had quite a few folks who have experienced a multitude of problems and have outlined these similarly to what you did. It doesn't sound like the dealer who is repairing these issues has great techs. You might be better off fixing the small stuff yourself. If my shower was leaking, I would figure out why and fix it myself. RV repairs are typically not rocket science and RV dealers certainly don't always hire experienced folks so if you are into construction you likely have more skills than the techs at your dealer.

You stated, "They told me some of these repairs are too big for Keystone to issue a full warranty repair". The dealer's statement doesn't pass the smell test. Please take some pics and describe these repairs that are too big for Keystone. Best of luck with getting things sorted and do rely on this forum for all the help you need as there is a wealth of expertise.
Thank you for your suggestion, I can completely see now how it would be much easier to read in paragraphs. It's a bit overwhelming and confusing to read a huge run on essay lol. I appreciate your help.

It will be interesting to see how the dealership moves forward with this whole thing. I can smell something fishy for sure, but I will continue to document everything and see what comes of this over the next week. I feel very capable of fixing most of the issues myself, I guess I am just in a state of "why should I" when I paid big $$ for a brand new rig. I might be acting a bit stubborn, but I kinda' figured I'll just take it all to them and go from there.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted. Cheers
Old 07-11-2023, 08:20 PM   #10
SargeW

BTW, that "too short" under belly cover was also the same on my rig. I found it when I got it home and crawled under it to inspect the bottom. My fabric sheeting was about 2" short of the back wall seam with the wall. I also had some gaps near the axle's where you could see up into the chassis area along with all the wiring that was there. I chose to purchase some spray foam sealer and close up all the gaps around the entire under belly area, and there were several.

But since I am 160 miles one way from the dealer, it made more sense to buy a $10 can of spray foam and save the 30+ gallons of gas it would have cost me to have the service center do it. With the price of gas, I would have spent over $100 in gas to save $10 worth of material.

But then again, I usually prefer to do most all maintenance and mods myself instead of a dealer. At least I know that the job was done as well as possible, and I know who to talk to if there is a failure down the road.......
Old 07-12-2023, 09:05 AM   #11
KootenayCamper

Quote:
BTW, that "too short" under belly cover was also the same on my rig. I found it when I got it home and crawled under it to inspect the bottom. My fabric sheeting was about 2" short of the back wall seam with the wall. I also had some gaps near the axle's where you could see up into the chassis area along with all the wiring that was there. I chose to purchase some spray foam sealer and close up all the gaps around the entire under belly area, and there were several.

But since I am 160 miles one way from the dealer, it made more sense to buy a $10 can of spray foam and save the 30+ gallons of gas it would have cost me to have the service center do it. With the price of gas, I would have spent over $100 in gas to save $10 worth of material.

But then again, I usually prefer to do most all maintenance and mods myself instead of a dealer. At least I know that the job was done as well as possible, and I know who to talk to if there is a failure down the road.......
Thank you for your response. I get that, I feel that many of these things I could very well fix myself (except for making the underbelly longer lol). I suppose my issue is, where do I draw the line for repairing a brand new trailer. If I built a home for someone and the foundation was not quite long enough on one side I don't think my clients would be happy with me just filling it in on that side with some other kind of product. I know that's dramatic, but I guess my point is I should not have to pay full price for something that has been possibly compromised already by water, and jimmy rigged to "fix" things. I just don't know what to do.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:18 AM   #12
KootenayCamper

Photos

Here are some photos of just the underbelly:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 10.15.10 AM.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	44533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 10.14.55 AM.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	44534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 10.15.21 AM.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	44535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 10.15.33 AM.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	44536  
Old 07-12-2023, 09:35 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

As I read your first post and monitored your subsequent ones I can't help but get the feeling your dealer is letting you down big time. A dealer that are a brick wall themselves to a new owner will give you that sad, defeated feeling.

When you document all of these shortcomings and present them who do you present them to at the dealership? Who at Keystone are they talking to and who from the dealership is doing the talking? Repair items that are "too big" for Keystone to fix so they will do the best they can? That's the dealership talking.

You need to get past service advisor etc. level and be at the owner/GM level with the problems you have. They in turn need to be at the management level in Keystone's warranty dept., not the young folks at the customer service/owner relations dept. All of you need to be working on concert to find a good, reasonable and long lasting solution.

You have the right attitude about things that fall short with RV manufacturing. It's understandable that you feel the frustration you do with what you are faced with. Just a picture of the underbelly alone says a ton - none of that is acceptable to an owner....and should not be to a dealer. I've had a dealer remove and replace the coroplast (thick plastic bottom liner) from front to back, side to side under warranty....it's NOT too big for a good dealer to take care of OR for Keystone to approve. My dealer has built a trailer from the frame up. Time to get eyeball to eyeball, set expectations on how the process is going to go, repairs expected (or replacement) and timeline. If full repairs are authorized be prepared to leave the trailer at the dealer for months....mine was there for over 6 mos. Good luck in your pursuit but you need to push past the level you are at the dealership.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:55 AM   #14
SargeW

I agree with Danny. I would also sit down and make a list of what is to be considered to be "serious stuff". Then make the decision if you should request that the unit go back to the factory to be done right. I personally steadfastly REFUSE to let my investment to sit on a dealer lot for 6 months so the dealer can work on it as they get the time. At least if it goes back to the factory, they would work on it just to get it out of the way. But that's where your list comes in.

The idea suggested by the dealer to take it out and back in as you occasionally use it will just put you back on the bottom of the pile. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:22 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I agree with Danny. I would also sit down and make a list of what is to be considered to be "serious stuff". Then make the decision if you should request that the unit go back to the factory to be done right. I personally steadfastly REFUSE to let my investment to sit on a dealer lot for 6 months so the dealer can work on it as they get the time. At least if it goes back to the factory, they would work on it just to get it out of the way. But that's where your list comes in.

The idea suggested by the dealer to take it out and back in as you occasionally use it will just put you back on the bottom of the pile. Just my 2 cents.

If the list is extensive, requiring not only lots of labor but also lots of parts, you cannot afford the time, trips etc. to take it back and forth as they receive parts, then a bay opens up...or not, etc. Those bays are spoken for well in advance. If a unit comes out sooner than expected, they have a no show or whatever your unit being there so they can drop it in the bay is beneficial. Waiting 6 mos. for a single repair....no, won't happen.

The situations above are why I always encourage anyone to be working with the management of the dealership all the time. In some cases I was in contact daily and many, many times there in person with the SM or GM multiple times a week to not only see what was going on but direct them in what I wanted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 12:32 PM   #16
pakuma

If you are considering giving this trailer back and getting a Rockwood. I would definitely not do it with this dealer. I am retired Service Manager/General Manager for Chrysler dealers and this would never fly in my store. the ides that it is too much to be fixed under warranty is a reed flag. I would get them to take it back, give you a full refund and then go to another dealer for your trailer. In California this would already be a case for our Lemon Law, does Canada or your Province have similar laws?
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 03:56 PM   #17
fivergeezer

You are not alone.

We too have purchased a new 2022 Passport SL. 229RK. We took delivery of it in July of 2021. Our first trip was a 600 mile rnd trip brake down cruise. We tow it with a 2021 F-150 w/5.0 v8 & trailer pkg.
Most of your experiences were similar to ours. I had to purchase a Ryobi battery operated staple gun & 3-bottles of clear Gorilla Glue to replace almost every trim piece & seam lattice in the corners, on the ceiling & walls. Several drawers & wall shelves fell apart or off due to lack of fasteners or supports. All of the upper cabinet doors edge trim was delaminating & had to be re glued.
The entrance door kept getting out of alignment. The dealer tried adjusting it but stripped all the screws requiring me to buy a new handle/lock assembly. Tightening the screws just squeezes the door styrofoam & the assembly moves from vibration. I ended up putting an aluminum plate on the inside to spread the force so the door was more rigid. So far that seems to have done the trick.
The roof TV antenna system is junk. I had to replace the factory TV with a Smart TV so I could get Netflix & Amazon prime or no reception except in areas close to larger cities.
After every travel day we found small piles of sawdust throughout the unit. Finally, after the trip, I replaced the factory hot water heater with a tankless model that is a drop-in for the OEM.
This June , I celebrated my 80th birthday @ DW & I decided we are too old to put up with rolling troubles. We are flying back & forth to FL & the Amish crap is in a storage lot.
fivergeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:43 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakuma View Post
If you are considering giving this trailer back and getting a Rockwood. I would definitely not do it with this dealer. I am retired Service Manager/General Manager for Chrysler dealers and this would never fly in my store. the ides that it is too much to be fixed under warranty is a reed flag. I would get them to take it back, give you a full refund and then go to another dealer for your trailer. In California this would already be a case for our Lemon Law, does Canada or your Province have similar laws?
Texas doesn't have a lemon law that applies to recreational vehicles so the OP might do some research as I am not sure this type law is even consistent between Canadian provinces.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:06 AM   #19
lindy46

We had a similar situation with a Grand Design transcend we bought new in 2020. One problem after another. We were permanently set up in a park and couldn't take it in for service. GD wouldn't pay for mobile service calls so I ended up making most repairs myself. Seems like I spent all my time at the camper doing repairs, no time to enjoy camping. I wrote a 5 page letter to the President of GD stating that we got a lemon and asked for a refund or replacement. They would do nothing. I ended up repairing all known problems and sold the unit. I would never buy a new unit again. We now have a used 2019 unit and I fixed a few minor problems when we first got it, but for the most part we haven't had any problems on our our trips since then. Enjoying camping again!
lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 01:53 PM   #20
MarvnMabel

Don't give in

I also had a laundry list of items, I suffered through my first season repairing things myself along the way. Unit spent the winter with a dealer, very first trip.out problems persisted. My communication was documented, and very clear that I would pursue legal action on such a date. I did, they bought it back. Don't put up with it.
MarvnMabel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport