Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2023, 01:28 PM   #1
gearhead

Thinking of downsizing, Passport?

Had eye surgery3 weeks ago. Haven’t left the house except to the mailbox in 2 weeks. We’ve been casually talking about downsizing for 6 months.
The 40ft 5th wheel is just getting to be too much. I am looking at Passport trailers. I can’t any real details on their construction. Aluminum frame? Azdel or non wood backer?
Anyone have a lead on what the RV industry is doing? I’m hearing that Heartland has paused construction on Landmarks.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 02:30 PM   #2
Max23

Not sure on the exact question. So far we love our passport. 27ft. Easy peasy to set up and back into places, layout was just what we wanted. Really couldn't be happier. Aluminum frame has had 0 issues so far, however this is our first season with it. Wish it had better tires but I'll be replacing those soon. Not sure what else I can tell ya. Would not shy you away from a passport but everyone's had their own experiences. Not sure that any deals are gonna be coming anytime soon. Last I heard the sales had slowed but still well above what they were 5 yrs ago.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 02:34 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I would warn you of downsizing but you're used to the Bigfoot so you know that drill. Which Passport are you thinking about, SL or GT? And, have you looked at the other lines? Passport is the middle line of Keystones. Of course, if you're like me, I'm limited to the models that I can get in the available brands near me and I won't buy far away. Is the eye improving?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 03:56 PM   #4
gearhead

Yes, I can get along fine with the Bigfoot, actually have space to spare. Betty, no bueno.
We have kicked around Class C but I don’t want to pay for one. Been watching PPL for used class C and A.
I just think it would be less stressful with a medium size 25 ft TT. Easier to get in government campgrounds, fuel up, etc. I’m pretty much whipped after 5-6 hours on the road, but don’t know if a TT would be better. I’ve never had a TT. I have towed the 21ft bay boat which is probably 26 with the tongue and the motor tilted up with zero stress.
I’m looking at the Passport SL 229RK. I would just as soon not have a slide. This model has a cable slide. At least it’s not a Schwintek.
I’ll let the weather cool off and go looking. Holiday World seems to have a bunch.
Eye gets slightly better by the day. Doc appointment later this week.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-08-2023, 04:23 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You're in the same boat I would be. I can get by pretty small, Susan won't have it for any length of time. A couple of days yes, weeks/months at a time...won't happen.

I wouldn't buy a motorhome of any kind personally unless I was going to travel all the time. Far too much money in what I view as a stranded investment. The drivetrain will deteriorate just sitting. The tires on a Class A aren't like buying tires on a 25' RV in any way.

Smaller trailer does give you access, and easier access, to lots more places. The downside is obviously size, some amenities and probably build quality. Towing a TT is more difficult than a 5th wheel in the sense they have more control over the vehicle...if you don't have enough vehicle. If you keep your current vehicle you won't have a problem - use a wdh/sway even if you keep the DRW.

Get out and look at them, particularly the different models in the different categories Keystone divides them into in the premium and luxury designations. Seamless countertops are NOT the same as solid surface (even the new solid surface isn't nearly as nice as it was a few years back across all manufacturers at a given price point). There will be other differences so take note of them when hands on. If it says 1/2 ton or ultra light look very closely for where the weight was shaved.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:27 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Yes, I can get along fine with the Bigfoot, actually have space to spare. Betty, no bueno.
We have kicked around Class C but I don’t want to pay for one. Been watching PPL for used class C and A.
I just think it would be less stressful with a medium size 25 ft TT. Easier to get in government campgrounds, fuel up, etc. I’m pretty much whipped after 5-6 hours on the road, but don’t know if a TT would be better. I’ve never had a TT. I have towed the 21ft bay boat which is probably 26 with the tongue and the motor tilted up with zero stress.
I’m looking at the Passport SL 229RK. I would just as soon not have a slide. This model has a cable slide. At least it’s not a Schwintek.
I’ll let the weather cool off and go looking. Holiday World seems to have a bunch.
Floorplan ain't bad. I would prefer not having the TV up over the dinette but that is me. It also has an 8' 12V refrigerator which I would not want; you can buy a 6' RV refrigerator. Also no 50A option near as I can tell. My camper is about the same length and 50A and a 2nd A/C would be a must if I went for a 27' camper in sunny Texas as I am not fond of sweating. On the positive, that camper seemed to have a way to close off the bed area to let the missus sleep in while you make you coffee, watch TV and play on the internet. A rear kitchen means decent counter space and that is a real plus for those that love lots of counter space. I wasn't thrilled with the LRE tires and they would probably be take-offs before pulling out of the sales lot.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 04:57 PM   #7
Max23

Quote:
My model exactly. We love the layout. Works perfectly for us. I rarely watch tv in it but will say, the one downfall is the small tv. We have the theatre seating and not the couch so that make it a bit more comfy for me. I did put a smart tv in there as the one they give you is not. Other than that, perfect for us.
Old 07-08-2023, 05:02 PM   #8
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Floorplan ain't bad. I would prefer not having the TV up over the dinette but that is me. It also has an 8' 12V refrigerator which I would not want; you can buy a 6' RV refrigerator.
I would not go any smaller and I love the 12V unit. Never have to shut it off, not sure on the RV fridge but ours runs for weeks even in the driveway as the solar keeps it charged, for us a smaller sq ft unit would not work, the 8 is barely big enough. LOL . We do like to take along food!!!
Old 07-08-2023, 07:44 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
I would not go any smaller and I love the 12V unit. Never have to shut it off, not sure on the RV fridge but ours runs for weeks even in the driveway as the solar keeps it charged, for us a smaller sq ft unit would not work, the 8 is barely big enough. LOL . We do like to take along food!!!
I agree but do like the ability for the fridge to cut over to propane if there is not any AC connected. I am not really with solar at this point in my life and that bit of added complexity doesn't appeal to me but an 8' fridge (that is what I have) is about as small as I would like. We pack that thing for long weekend outings. We had a little student fridge we packed with drinks to augment but it was a bit of a pain to store while traveling.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:10 PM   #10
gearhead

Spent the last couple hours looking at KZ C221 RBSE and the 221FKK.
Good floors, Azdel, etc.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-09-2023, 05:31 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Look at them in person. I looked at them a few years back and wrote that off.
Old 07-09-2023, 07:05 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe the KZ Connect SE is a "hybrid trailer" built on a "NXG (huckbolt) frame" and uses 2x3 wood for the floor joists (not aluminum) and 2x2 wood for the roof rafters. Just my opinion, but using Adzel to cover the sidewalls and wood framing under it, exposed in the wheelwells and along the trailer perimeter where the entire sidewall system is connected to the trailer frame is a vulnerable "wet weather weakness" that makes the Adzel more of a bandaid on top of the wood that's going to get wet and rot under the Adzel....

YMMV, but look very VERY closely at where KZ cuts corners in places you can't see and that are very VERY expensive to repair if the coroplast and darco wrap get a hole from rubbing the frame or being damaged... That's a "direct route to wood rot under the Adzel.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:33 AM   #13
Jonahex2099

We went the opposite direction and upsized our original TT from a Coachman Clipper 21RD to a Passport GT 2704RK...my wife thinks it's the absolutely perfect floor plan...we have a rather awkward parking place on our property, so I had length (and weight) limits, and the GT is 32 ball to bumper. We haven't hit a location yet where we've had issues getting in.

Met all of our criteria and really is perfect for a couple (and two ankle biters)...

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:47 AM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I believe the KZ Connect SE is a "hybrid trailer" built on a "NXG (huckbolt) frame" and uses 2x3 wood for the floor joists (not aluminum) and 2x2 wood for the roof rafters. Just my opinion, but using Adzel to cover the sidewalls and wood framing under it, exposed in the wheelwells and along the trailer perimeter where the entire sidewall system is connected to the trailer frame is a vulnerable "wet weather weakness" that makes the Adzel more of a bandaid on top of the wood that's going to get wet and rot under the Adzel....

YMMV, but look very VERY closely at where KZ cuts corners in places you can't see and that are very VERY expensive to repair if the coroplast and darco wrap get a hole from rubbing the frame or being damaged... That's a "direct route to wood rot under the Adzel.....
Yep I was looking at what appeared to be an artist's rendition of their framing and thought the floor joists had a wood look. They are careful to avoid saying what materials they used.
If you're not already familiar with it, look at the BAL NXG slide mechanism. Thanks for the input.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-09-2023, 03:01 PM   #15
SargeW

We down sized from a Tiffin 40' Allegro Bus to our Passport 2400RBWE. We did it to simplify life, have a lot less "stuff" to look after, and not have heartburn if I let it sit idle for a month or more (which I have). I took a 5000 mile trip to Georgia over 6 weeks this year, and happily, build quality and performance was great.

I do really like the cable slide as the Bus had 2 Schwintek slides in the rear that gave me fits from time to time. This is my first rig with "real solar" and the 400 watt system with 2 Lithium batteries has worked flawlessly as well. We wound up a a bit more trailer than I thought we would, but the DW really wanted the washer/dryer hook ups, and I wanted the 2nd AC. The 12 volt refer works great too, I was never happy with propane/electric refers in past rigs. The fact that the 12 volt refer has a compressor helps it to stay cold, even in summer temps in the desert southwest.

I did make some changes to the rig, some were mods, others were décor. But we now have a rig that is personalized to us, and I don't miss the big Bus at all. There are a few other things I will change as time permits, but for now I (and the DW) are happy. I wholly support the down size thing.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:00 AM   #16
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
We down sized from a Tiffin 40' Allegro Bus to our Passport 2400RBWE. We did it to simplify life, have a lot less "stuff" to look after, and not have heartburn if I let it sit idle for a month or more (which I have). I took a 5000 mile trip to Georgia over 6 weeks this year, and happily, build quality and performance was great.

I do really like the cable slide as the Bus had 2 Schwintek slides in the rear that gave me fits from time to time. This is my first rig with "real solar" and the 400 watt system with 2 Lithium batteries has worked flawlessly as well. We wound up a a bit more trailer than I thought we would, but the DW really wanted the washer/dryer hook ups, and I wanted the 2nd AC. The 12 volt refer works great too, I was never happy with propane/electric refers in past rigs. The fact that the 12 volt refer has a compressor helps it to stay cold, even in summer temps in the desert southwest.

I did make some changes to the rig, some were mods, others were décor. But we now have a rig that is personalized to us, and I don't miss the big Bus at all. There are a few other things I will change as time permits, but for now I (and the DW) are happy. I wholly support the down size thing.
Sounds a lot like me. I will never have Schwintek slides again.
Those are great specs on the western edition. Big tanks! I dont think I can get that in Houston.
No more RV fridge for me. The one in our Montana HC took years off my life.
Perfect floorplan.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-10-2023, 03:14 AM   #17
gearhead

Uh oh, I'm up excrement creek. I showed the floorplan to Betty. She likes it.
BIG bathroom, W&D space.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-10-2023, 07:37 AM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post

Did you get the U dinette or theatre seats?
That 2500 Ram haul it good? Probably what I would get. If I sell the Bigfoot I wouldn't need a dually.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-10-2023, 10:05 AM   #19
Jonahex2099

Quote:
Did you get the U dinette or theatre seats?
That 2500 Ram haul it good? Probably what I would get. If I sell the Bigfoot I wouldn't need a dually.
One note on the U dinettes in the Passport - we have it in our 2704RKWE and I had to modify it as the backside of it was worthless - I could barely squeeze in...my grandkids would fit but not most of my adult kids or friends..

Not sure how it is on the 2400RB - but we looked at a couple different ones and the fit was identical wrt that dinette. I've been tempted to do a hard mod and get rid of the back bench and just make it a booth...

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:38 PM   #20
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahex2099 View Post
One note on the U dinettes in the Passport - we have it in our 2704RKWE and I had to modify it as the backside of it was worthless - I could barely squeeze in...my grandkids would fit but not most of my adult kids or friends..

Not sure how it is on the 2400RB - but we looked at a couple different ones and the fit was identical wrt that dinette. I've been tempted to do a hard mod and get rid of the back bench and just make it a booth...
I ain't ever sat in a booth dinette that didn't kill my back. Wife said she wasn't having the booth. So with the theatre seating if you have any guests, I suppose it's some kind of folding chairs.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS

Tags
passport