Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2024, 07:23 AM   #1
Bman

Low battery power

We have a Cougar 317RLS , we were plugged into shore power, woke up to having the kitchen slide with limited power, several outlets would not work. We were expecting a cold night so turned on water tank heater for the night. When we got ready to leave we only had 9v so slides and jacks would not work. Could not hookup to pickup. This was on December 31 so no services were open. So I got an online tech site that uses AI that put me in contact with an RV Tech. Had to turn all breakers off in unit, turn off breaker to shore power and unplug, then plug in, turn breakers on. Then we had almost 12v and could bring in the slides and hook up to the pickup so we could go to our next site. This unit is just a year old.
Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:57 AM   #2
bobbecky

Sounds like the 120 volt breaker feeding the converter was tripped, and that's why your battery was so low. Normally, with the battery fully charged and the converter operating while plugged in to shore power, you should be reading a bit over 13 volts, which is what the converter supplies.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:03 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman View Post
We have a Cougar 317RLS , we were plugged into shore power, woke up to having the kitchen slide with limited power, several outlets would not work. We were expecting a cold night so turned on water tank heater for the night. When we got ready to leave we only had 9v so slides and jacks would not work. Could not hookup to pickup. This was on December 31 so no services were open. So I got an online tech site that uses AI that put me in contact with an RV Tech. Had to turn all breakers off in unit, turn off breaker to shore power and unplug, then plug in, turn breakers on. Then we had almost 12v and could bring in the slides and hook up to the pickup so we could go to our next site. This unit is just a year old.
You said the trailer is "just a year old". A 2022/2023 Cougar will have In-Command. What the tech instructed you to do would have "reset the In-Command system, allowing anything that might have been "glitched by the computer" to reset. That may be the "key to what happened" or it may well be something else. I'd make a SWAG that your issue stemmed from the In-Command and resetting it fixed your problem.

Should it happen again, I'd start by rebooting In-Command and see if that fixes your problem.

If you've been around computers for any length of time, you've probably heard the advice to turn off your computer and reboot it at least weekly. The reasons may vary depending on who you're talking to, but essentially, Microsoft operating systems have a way of "just fixing things whether they need fixing or not".... In-Command, IMO, tends to do the same. It looks for a glitch, if it can't find one, it "creates one so it has something to fix"....

Rebooting In-Command typically "fixes nearly everything the system is failing to do".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:00 PM   #4
bobbecky

A Cougar 317RLS was available around 2013 and 2014, don't see any ones currently with that model number.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:48 PM   #5
Roper46

I believe the OP has a Cougar 316RLS. I also searched for a newer 317 with no luck.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power