Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2023, 02:20 AM   #1
PhilB228

Should I have my converter on all the time while on shore power????

Hello all....I am honestly very new to all types of travel trailers. I recently purchased a used 2008 Keystone Springdale 266. I am currently full time living in it at a buddies house. I am connected to a 15 amp outlet through a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter. I have a brand new AGM battery. I have been leaving my trailer constantly connected to the shore power and also my battery is hooked up and I leave my converter on all the time as it is on a breaker that when I shut it off, there are a couple other outlets that go off as well. Should my converter be left on constantly? It usually keeps battery charged up to around 13.3v when no lights on and around 12.8 with lights on.
PhilB228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 03:15 AM   #2
Stangfire

Yes, keep it on. Many things in your trailer are powered by 12V so there is always a draw on the battery even when plugged into shore power.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 05:01 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Leave the trailer plugged in. How far is the camper from the 15 Amp outlet and what Guage is the extension cord if you are using one? What kind of plug adapter are you using? The ones that look like a hockey puck are notorious for melting down and causing issues. I'd recommend a dog bone style adapter.

The 12vdc loads that are always using power follows:
LP leak detector
Radio (settings i.e station presets, bass & treble settings, etc.)
Water heater, fridge, air conditioning, furnace, t'stat ( control boards, the furnace fan, and the gas valves and ignition)
Over the air TV antenna booster if used, Key TV system on at all times.
Any lights that are turned on.
Fresh water pump when there's a demand for water and not connected to city water.

I may have missed something particular to your camper. To find out, unplug the camper, and see what still works.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 05:21 AM   #4
Max23

As stated, I would definitely reconsider how you have it plugged in as what you are doing is far from ideal however, that said. Yes, leave converter on. Many many things in your TT run off the battery. Shore power is simply resupplying that battery power and is not a "direct" source of power for those items.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:34 AM   #5
Stangfire

Also, should not use the AC when only plugged into 15 amp.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 09:48 AM   #6
PhilB228

I have the camper plugged in about 50 ft. Or less away from the house. I am using a 30amp 25ft. Extension cord and a 30amp to 15 amp adapter from Walmart. It's black cord with clear blue end. The AGM battery (also from Walmart) was brand new in June. The charge at battery was 13.8 this morning when I left for work, according to my Klein multimeter. Also every time I use A/C, I turn all other AC breakers off except the MAIN & A/C in panel.
PhilB228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 08:00 AM   #7
Rwexcavate

So I have a similar.circumstance.. here in Socal, rents are expensive.. we found a small 2bdrm house for $2k/month.. we have 3 kiddos.. they stay in the house and we use the 2016 cougar 28rbs for our master bedroom in the driveway (we are at the rear of the property so we still have some privacy). Long story short, we just got our first electric bill and the TT costs about $100/month alone just running the converter (elec rates are not cheap here). I installed 3 100watt pannels on a harbor freight 500watt charge controller. Had the same issue where if i turn off the breaker to the converter the 110 outlets in the front of the TT go off. They are wired to that breaker piggy backed to the converter wire. Take the pannel of the breaker panel the actual converter is at.the bottom of the unit, follow the black wire up to.the breakers, and it will be commingled with the supply line for those outlets, cut the converter wire off there, and install a new 15amp breaker ($15 on amazon) and run the converter to that new breaker, effectivelt you just issolated the converter on its own breaker. Now my solar runs all the 12v systems for free. I run the heater all night (at about 65-70f) and those 3 panels are enough to recharge the batteries over the course of the day for the next night. $100 is $100.

Also, i installed an actual TT 30amp plug panel next to the main panel of the house (about $70 for the kit at the Lowes) We run off that using a 50' 10awg cable (already had this in my collection) and actual TT plugs ($10ea at the hardware store) It should probably be 8awg but we are only 50' away, longer than that and it would have to be 8awg. DONT RUN YOUR AC on that 15amp plug, it will start a fire even if thats all youre running. Not an if, its a when.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_175202.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	45411   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_175149.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	45412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231015_085622_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	43