Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2023, 04:12 PM   #1
Kclady0525

Front cap on a 2021 passport gt series

I have 2 small cracks on the front cap near the top. Can I use a clear silicone to seal them
Kclady0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:10 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You can use ProSeal (rather than silicone) to seal the cracks, but that will only be a temporary fix. Unless you find the cause of the cracks, chances are very, VERY good that they will continue to grow until "just a tad more sealer" won't fix the issue.

If you're looking for a temporary fix, then stop drill the ends of the cracks, seal them with ProSeal and then, when you can get it in for evaluation, they can do a permanent repair.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:22 PM   #3
Kclady0525

What about eternabond tape.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:23 PM   #4
Kclady0525

Any idea the cost of replacing that cap?
Old 08-30-2023, 05:25 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I would not use EternaBond tape to "cover a crack". You can not monitor the crack if you do that, and if it grows longer, starts cracking in a different direction, you won't know there's a problem until the crack grows long enough to spread from under the taped area. Tape over the crack will stop water intrusion UNDER THE TAPE, but won't stop any future physical damage to the fiberglass and will not prevent water intrusion from areas "beyond the tape". Plus, it does not address WHY THE CRACK OCCURRED in the first place. BAD IDEA !!!!!

As for replacing the cap, parts alone will run anywhere from $2K to 4K, depending on any other parts that might be damaged, then there's the risk of damaging the roof membrane and the trailer FILON sides as well as bending any aluminum molding or stripping out any screw holes in the aluminum structure.

Then after the new "plain painted cap" is reinstalled, you'll need new graphics, possibly some new aluminum molding (if the old can't be reused), and probably some repainting of scratched/damaged during shipping paint repairs to the new cap.

Labor charges will probably run another $1K to 3K depending on your area and the labor costs.

Unless you've got a covered (weather and security) area to do the work, a good assortment of power and hand tools, expertise in fiberglass work and the heavy equipment to support, lift and move the old cap and the new cap, I would not recommend a DIY approach. This is not a "do it yourself project" for a "husband/wife" team to tackle.

As an alternative, have you considered a "boat repair facility" ??? They usually have a "skilled fiberglass repair capability" either in shop or at a nearby body shop. Fiberglass boats get nicks, dings and cracks all the time, as do Corvettes. Boat service centers almost always are able to repair "minor damage" so it looks like new. Your Passport front cap is no different than the hull on a fiberglass boat when it comes to "fixing a small crack".....

You'll likely pay $300-500 for someone to repair those cracks (if you don't screw it up by putting tape on them or stop drilling the wrong place). Mess up the cap, the cost will go up.

You'll likely pay $4K-6K for someone to install a new cap. I would guess that insurance or extended warranty will not even consider a replacement for a "minor crack", so you'll likely be 100% "out of pocket" for the costs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:43 AM   #6
tommy_z

I just replaced my front cap. Don't DIY. Just don't.

Materials were ~$700, but all my labor and help needed made me understand why the rest of the cost was worth having a properly equipped facility do that job.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport