Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 05:03 AM   #1
Bechard

Bullet 2200BH Electric Water Heater Problem

Hi folks,

It's our maiden trip out, and it seems like the electric water heater isn't working. The breaker is fine, and the gas heater does work, which fortunately still gives us water for showers.

Is there anything else I can check or troubleshoot? This is my first trailer, and this is still a learning experience. Everything else has been perfect!

Just to be clear, the only time I've turned on the electric water heater was when we arrived and hooked up the city water and shore power lines.
Bechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:12 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Some water heaters have a switch for the electric element on the outside, lower left corner. The switch is upside down on purpose, so if you turn it “on” your turning it “off”. What brand is yours?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:22 AM   #3
Bechard

Just took a look, it's a Dometic gas/combo, no buttons on the outside at all.

Inside the breaker is fine, and the electric water heater has been on from the control panel.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

In 2017 it appears Atwood hot water heaters were bought up by Dometic so folks might be more familiar with the Atwood name if they wanted to answer your questions. I have a Suburban and have never had an Atwood/Dometic so can't help technically.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechard View Post
Just took a look, it's a Dometic gas/combo, no buttons on the outside at all.

Inside the breaker is fine, and the electric water heater has been on from the control panel.
Can you provide a model lnumber from the HWH?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:11 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If there is no switch on the exterior of the water heater, then there will be a junction box on the back side. Check all the connections, common for one or more wires to be loose. If they are all secure and your getting 110VAC to the board, then you’ll need to check the element. It’s also on the back side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Hi folks,

It's our maiden trip out, and it seems like the electric water heater isn't working. The breaker is fine, and the gas heater does work, which fortunately still gives us water for showers.

Is there anything else I can check or troubleshoot? This is my first trailer, and this is still a learning experience. Everything else has been perfect!

Just to be clear, the only time I've turned on the electric water heater was when we arrived and hooked up the city water and shore power lines.
ASPDI ( Another Successful Pre Delivery Inspection).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
Bechard

Model number is GC6AA-10E.

I'll check voltage and such when I get home, don't have a multimeter in my camp kit.

I've checked all of the connections, and everything appears to be tight.Click image for larger version

Name:	1538924390598~2.jpeg
Views:	649
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	18820
Old 10-07-2018, 08:00 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Model number is GC6AA-10E.

I'll check voltage and such when I get home, don't have a multimeter in my camp kit.

I've checked all of the connections, and everything appears to be tight.Attachment 18820
That is an Atwood model number and the same as I have in mine. That should make it easier trying to research anything. It's obviously a 120vac issue so just chase it from the breaker to the hwh to the element. Put a VOM in your camping supplies; cheap and come in handy all the time ...sometimes "required" to repair a camping issue.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #10
slow

There is a connector for the 120Vac if similar to mine on the backside (inside of TT) of the water heater. Check to make sure the connector is seated properly.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 AM   #11
Bechard

Thanks, I'll check this today.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
Bechard

I just checked the connector, and everything seems secure.

I just hooked up water again and switched on the electric water heater at lunch. I did notice an electronic whining sound coming from the back of the water heater, perhaps the relay or transformer or something?

I did notice that after 45 minutes, the water in the tank was warmer than the cold water. By warm I mean not as cold as cold water, but not even close to lukewarm.

Could this mean the element is bad and needs replacing?
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

When I kick mine to electric only it makes a tiny bit of sound; sort of like a tiny whine. Did I miss it...what year is your trailer? How old is the element? I'm thinking you may want to check that out.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
Bechard

Trailer is new 2018, this was the first trip out. I spoke with the inspection guy, and he also remembers us going over it, and it was tested. Perhaps that testing was the last time the electric worked properly. Is it possible that the element was left on during a demo previously, but worked during inspection (or failed but was missed as it may have worked when started)?

I'll check the water temp when I get home in a few hours, but I'm pretty sure it's still going to be just slightly warmer than the cold water. Is this typical of a blown element?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

If it's a 2018 and this is the first use I would not think the element is out unless something happened as you described. As far as I know the element isn't turned on by the dealership except to do a PDI to assure that it works and then if the new buyer wants to do a post purchase inspection/walk through. Now, did someone leave it on and burn it out accidentally? Who knows? It does sound like you have power to the heater (whine) so I would start checking power with a vom.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
66joej

Quote:
Trailer is new 2018, this was the first trip out. I spoke with the inspection guy, and he also remembers us going over it, and it was tested. Perhaps that testing was the last time the electric worked properly. Is it possible that the element was left on during a demo previously, but worked during inspection (or failed but was missed as it may have worked when started)?

I'll check the water temp when I get home in a few hours, but I'm pretty sure it's still going to be just slightly warmer than the cold water. Is this typical of a blown element?
If there was no water in the HWT the element will be burned out in less than 30 seconds. Ask me how I know.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #17
Bechard

I can't imagine one of my kids could have switched it on, as they would have left it on. The only time I had it on prior to this trip was at the PDI. The tech confirmed that it was working, and was showing me the gas/electric water heater switches.

I was the first one in the trailer when we arrived, and last out and the power was off on everything each time.

This evening (after tyke football) I'll get under the bunk with the multimeter and get a read on the A/C at the relay, and at the element. Besides these test points, anything else I should look for? I am getting a slight warming, it really is warmer than the cold water, which is why I assumed the element was bad.

I really appreciate the help, this forum is the best.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #18
Bechard

Quote:
I can't imagine one of my kids could have switched it on, as they would have left it on. The only time I had it on prior to this trip was at the PDI. The tech confirmed that it was working, and was showing me the gas/electric water heater switches.

I was the first one in the trailer when we arrived, and last out and the power was off on everything each time.

This evening (after tyke football) I'll get under the bunk with the multimeter and get a read on the A/C at the relay, and at the element. Besides these test points, anything else I should look for? I am getting a slight warming, it really is warmer than the cold water, which is why I assumed the element was bad.

I really appreciate the help, this forum is the best.
This is what I'm worried about, I just have no idea when it would have happened?
Old 10-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #19
B-O-B'03

Measure ohms across the connections of the element it should be fairly low, if not it is most likely bad.

As part of my shutdown procedure, after a trip, I flip the breaker for the water heater off, since I have 30 amp service at the parking pad and would hate for someone to flip on the heater, with no water in the tank.

-Brian
Old 10-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #20
Bechard

Good call on turning the breaker off post-trip.

I'll measure resistance tonight while I check the AC.

Tags
bullet, heat, heater, water, water heater