Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
Tinman97423

Two Questions water pump/refer fan NOISE

Two Questions water pump/refer fan noise.
These questions are about my 2016 Cougar 303 but any RV with a water pump noise and a refrigerator in a slide out with exhaust fan up top could have the same problems.

FIRST: My water pump is a FLOJET 50psi-3.4 GPM Mod.#03526144. The pump sounds like a jack hammer is hitting the side of the RV. I have attached the pump to a ½ inch block of rubber and then attached the rubber to the floor of the RV. Did nothing to quiet down the pump. What is a good QUIET replacement pump?

SECOND: The refrigerator has an exhaust fan at the top of the coils in the rear that is also very noisy. I removed the outside upper vent and there is a sheet of plywood covering most of the complete opening but for a 2 or 3 inch open space across the top. I can not see the fan but can hear it running. (it turns on and off I’m sure with some kind of thermostat that controls the fan). NOW the plywood has been installed from the inside so there is no way to get to the fan without removing the complete refrigerator. WHAT have you done to replace that upper fan?

THANK YOU FOR any help…….
Tinman97423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Water pump- may not be the pump, more likely the line. Zip ties work wonders to hold the pex away from the wall.

Refer fan- that plywood has to be there. You can pull the fridge 1/2 out to get to the fan(s). There is a limit switch attached to the last fin on the upper end of the cooling unit.

Remove eyebrow for 2 screws at top, 2 more at bottom. Then go outside, and look for 2 or 3 screws through frame at bottom. We do it all the time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
bobbecky

The most effective way to reduce water pump noise is to install one of these kits, https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59.../dp/B000WN5F96

What is happening is, as the pump runs, it is vibrating the water lines, mostly in line with the water line, and by using these flexible hoses, you will stop the pounding to the rigid water lines. You might have to shorten the existing water lines to make these work. It's not the pump vibrating so much, but the water lines making the noise.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Agree on the water line making the noise. The pump pulsates and cause the lines to move and if one is against a solid surface it will amplify the sound. This is called water line hammering. I would suggest an accumulator tank. They have a bladder inside that will absorb the hammering and also hold enough water to prevent the pump from energizing as often.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump