Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
KC10Chief

Adding second AC... with Gateway?

My 2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS came with 50A service and prewired for a second AC unit. The second AC was a $3,500 option according to the dealer. I knew I can buy one of these units for less than $600 so opted to do it myself. I am looking into doing this soon and ordering what I need. There is this sticker on my ceiling that says what I need. I plan to order the 13,500btu Dometic Brisk Air II unit. The one I have is the Dometic 15,000 btu unit. This one is going in the bedroom and won't be ducted the best I can tell.

The question I have, is that the sticker says I need a Gateway cable. What is that? I can't find that online anywhere and I'm putting in the number, which I'm assuming is a part number. My camper has this InCommand control panel for the whole panel. I love the camper but hate this InCommand panel. I'd rather just have the old fashioned switches.

So, do I just need the air conditioner or is there some sort of cable out there that I need to? Here's the decal on the ceiling in the bedroom.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
Computerpilot

Following......

Following for future updates...
Computerpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
xrated

I installed a Dometic Brisk II in the garage of my Toy Hauler last late summer/early fall and had nothing about a Gateway being required. I'm go to offer a guess here, and it's only a guess, the "Gateway" is probably required if you want to tie the system in with the In Command for control of the A/C unit from that device. My Toy Hauler came with one 15K BTU unit and the garage was prewired with a 120VAC dedicated circuit, a pair of wires for +12VDC and -12VCD, and a 4 conductor cable stubbed up into the electrical box in the ceiling. The other end of that cable is just dead ended in the wall that separates the garage and the kitchen/living room. I had to take a couple of existing switches out and hunt around with a flashlight and mirror inside the wall (by those existing switches) until I found it. I didn't have the In command on the trailer and even if I would have, I was going to mount/install a wall thermostat at that location on the wall with the other switches....so that's the equipment that I bought....13.5K BTU Dometic Brisk II, a Wall thermostat, and the control board for using the A/C with a wall mount thermostat as opposed to climbing up on a ladder and turning the A/C on and off......NO Gateway cable, but like I said, I believe that is probably because you have the In Command system. Seem that it would be very possible to hook it up just like I did with a wall thermostat. And now that I think about it, the control box that I had and the instruction sheet talked about using a "data" cable to hook it up back to the Dometic thermostat ....if you had the thermostat that was made for multiple units....mine was not. Hope this helps...because they make it much more difficult than it should be so that you take it to the dealer and spend that EXTREMELY OUTRAGEOUS MONEY.....$3500 is a very bad joke.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

This is a GUESS, based on my understanding of current Keystone trailers. I can't speak with any certainty about what's required, but my GUESS is that with the new "In-Command" system, where the air conditioners are integrated into the electronics for trailer management, there is a specific style/model/type of control system required if you want to be able to manage that air conditioner with the In-Command system. That's probably why the dealership quoted you what seemed like an "OUTRAGEOUS" price to install the front A/C.

The above stated, I'd suppose that if you simply want to power a 13.5K BTU roof air unit with the controls mounted on the ceiling panel of the unit, then you can probably do that easily. All you need for a simple "ceiling control A/C" is the 120VAC power and a 14" ceiling vent to mount the unit.

On the other hand, if you're looking to integrate it into the "In-Command" system, then you'll probably need the items listed on that decal.

You won't need them if you "maverick the system" and make that unit a "self controlled A/C".....

Again, all of the above is "my guess" and not a "for sure, I know it's this way" post.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

My thinking from visiting with folks at dealerships; sales manager says it is "the way they are going and there are no issues"; sales guy tells me " you need to get the one with the switches because InCommand has lots of issues"??

For the OP I would think thru the importance of integrating the new AC into the InCommand system or just install the 2nd AC and forget the $3500 price tag....which is ridiculous. It all depends on what you want....and want to spend. I like, and always have, an independent AC in the bedroom because I am a very light sleeper and like the noise. I know others would not appreciate that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
KC10Chief

Thanks for the tips! The InCommand system is very finicky. Everything is controlled from the panel. Every time you need to do something you have to turn it on, punch in a four digit code, and then go through the menus to get to the item you need. Water heater, water pump, AC or heater, etc. The app where you can control it with your phone is total garbage. It crashes constantly. When it does, it's unusable for 30 minutes or so or I have to reset my phone. I would much rather have a panel with a bunch of switches on it like my last RV had. So much simpler. I don't think you can get a Cougar any more without the InCommand system. It's not the end of the world I guess. It definitely needs a LOT of improvements.

Now, the screen DOES have the option there for the front AC. I'm wondering if that data cable is already there. I guess a call to Keystone is in order tomorrow.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Take the garnish ring off. Then just look with a flashlight. I guess is there will be a cat5 or Telephone type cable up there.

Pure speculation since we don’t sell/service units with this system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #8
djac13

KC10chief - did you eventually install your second ac unit?

I have the exact same setup, just a 2021 and 36bhs. I’m looking to do the soon.

I would love an update and results.
djac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #9
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by djac13 View Post
KC10chief - did you eventually install your second ac unit?

I have the exact same setup, just a 2021 and 36bhs. I’m looking to do the soon.

I would love an update and results.
Lots of info and pics in this thread:

Installing 2nd AC Unit
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:00 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

I put a Dometic Brisk II 15K BTU in my camper after we had owned it for awhile to replace the 13.5K BTU Dometic. At that time pplmotorhomes.com had the best prices and since they are relatively close, my unit was delivered in a day or two. I just looked and prices have really skyrocketed in the past year or two. You also have to buy the part that is inside the camper. I personally would not get the one that has to talk to an electronic system but has the controls right on the unit for the bedroom install. Have seen too many hiccups when installing the one that talks to the In Command or whatever that gizmo is. I would also get the same brand as what is already in your camper if you do.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #11
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I put a Dometic Brisk II 15K BTU in my camper after we had owned it for awhile to replace the 13.5K BTU Dometic. At that time pplmotorhomes.com had the best prices and since they are relatively close, my unit was delivered in a day or two. I just looked and prices have really skyrocketed in the past year or two. You also have to buy the part that is inside the camper. I personally would not get the one that has to talk to an electronic system but has the controls right on the unit for the bedroom install. Have seen too many hiccups when installing the one that talks to the In Command or whatever that gizmo is. I would also get the same brand as what is already in your camper if you do.
Good points....while I did add AC #2 following the info in the link I posted, and had no trouble getting it synced up with my InCommand, it's more work, with more that can go wrong, than simply adding a standalone unit with its own controls.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:51 PM   #12
H Myers

Mounting hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Lots of info and pics in this thread:

Installing 2nd AC Unit
Does the mounting hardware come with the Coleman AC ? thanks
H Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 05:04 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

If my memory is correct, the roof unit only has the actual unit. You have to determine which ceiling assembly you want to get the mounting hardware.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote