Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
M&J 2012

Wi-fi / phone service

Question about having service while on the road.
Would like to be able to get all of our service streamed in with one company TV / phone / internet

Have a 2019 Ford F- 350 that is able to Sync with AT&T .

Question about providers and cost and quality???

Would like to have unlimited everything.

Any recommendations
M&J 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
travelin texans

We've used Verizon for phone & their WiFi jetpack for the last 10-12 years with good coverage all across the country. It's a bit pricey, but worked well for our needs.
As to TV your limited to park cable (some good, some not so much), your HD antenna, satellite service or something like Netflix which uses up your cellular data plan very quickly.
We've only used the park cable & antenna with the antenna usually the better of the 2 receiving more channels with better quality picture.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Travelinlou

If your in the east, your fine. But Midwest and open areas of the west you may find no services in the best camping areas. We carry two service hotspots, Verizon and ATT and find it gives us great flexibility. My Ford F-350 Platinum has Sync3 but I choose to use the iPhone and my MiFi from Verizon directly as the hot spot. Plus my Winegard LTE/4G plus WiFi booster works very well.

Good travels, Lou
Travelinlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Fishsizzle

I have Verizon and just use the iPhone as a hot spot. They limit to I think 5gb a month for streaming. I have unlimited data though.

I take advantage of Amazon Prime to pre download shows that stay on the phone for a few weeks. Apple makes a HDMI adapter for the iPhone to plug into the tv. Works great
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
Frank G

Even with the deepest of pockets you are asking a lot. Move 3 miles and everything can change. Most campgrounds do not have streamable wifi much less usable wifi. Even if you could mount and align a Hughes system, you could get stuck under a tree. You would look like the FBI rolling into a campground with all those antennas!
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
M&J 2012

Thanks... heard about the Jet Pak for wifi , have Verizon phone service now... has anyone used Dish for TV ?
M&J 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J 2012 View Post
Thanks... heard about the Jet Pak for wifi , have Verizon phone service now... has anyone used Dish for TV ?
Direct for TV works well. We carry a SLIM dish and have to set it up every time, not bad and you get everything you get at home in HD. I assume you will pull a box from home. The roof mount dome, antennas, to my knowledge, will not receive HD. So look closely at what you get weather Direct or Dish.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #8
bobbecky

We’ve had a Dish Travler mounted on the roof of the rig almost since we started full timing. Works great except for the rare occasion that we end up under trees. For cell service, one of us has Verizon and the other AT&T, and have the AT&T hotspot with unlimited data. When one service is weak, the other is usually strong.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #9
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We’ve had a Dish Travler mounted on the roof of the rig almost since we started full timing. Works great except for the rare occasion that we end up under trees. For cell service, one of us has Verizon and the other AT&T, and have the AT&T hotspot with unlimited data. When one service is weak, the other is usually strong.
ATT owns directv and I believe that you get unlimited streaming of all Directv when you bundle.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:47 AM   #10
Fishsizzle

And new iPhone, you can have 2 number thus two carrier and plans on one phone. Only 1 CDMA carrier can be one though.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #11
BRB Rig

After much research and usage since our 3500+ mile trek beginning in December, we’re happy with our no throttle unlimited data prepaid $70 ($65 when you automate payments) Verizon plan on our $199 one-time ownership fee MiFi 8800L Jetpack. Verizon charges $99 for leasing it. We connect our phones, laptops, tablet, and desktop computers to it and average 100GB a week working and watching TV and video using our $50 YouTube TV family plan. The YT plan gives us a cloud DVR recording feature and we share the cost with six other family and friend members who have independent logins with no bandwidth or time sharing. Our iPhones are also on the lowest Verizon plans which have minimal data because we always connect to the MiFi. We’ve reached speeds of 50 mbps on the JetPack and, at times, watch different programs at the same time on two different devices. It’s the best means of getting what you want at the lowest cost. Don’t bother using your truck’s hotspot. At best, you’ll get 5 mbps and pay a small fortune for maintaining the signal. Keep OnStar for GPS if you have it, definitely worth it.
BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
lewy64

I use tmobile one unlimited mitary plan, with one plus international, the one plus international gets me 50gb of 4g data a month through my phones hotspot, then possible throttled to 3g but unlimited. For $109/mo -- note not many cell phone plans use 4g data through hotspots.

I use Dish Outdoors for my TV service. I use a Hopper3 for the reciever, and a Dish Network Turbo Hdtv Satellite Tripod Kit - 1000.2, with the Dish 1000.2 DISHPRO Hybrid (DPH) Triple LNBF west. Only the hopper3 uses the hybrid lnbf. For $122/mo (top 200 w locals and showtime) - note you have to buy all your own equipment with dish outdoors, but you still pay reciever fees. Also you have to aim the dish yourself. -- also note about the hopper3, it requires a serviceman to get it working. I got lucky with mine they reset it two times without the serviceman. If you have dish at home then you can use the same service through the RV with a small fee. Just have a dish and bring one of your receivers.
lewy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #13
Roscommon48

you can sync too to verizon on your ford

as for tv, regaualr channels,ummmm. doing it on wifi can be a hassel. use your antenna or get a sat. would be my recommendation.

verizon would be the best for you traveling. but compare costs out there.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #14
TJTx

I use Directv and have a SWiM dish that is stored in the basement of our Alpine 3401RS 5er. We Ouse the air antenna for just weekend camping but bring our wireless Geanie whole home with mini for longer stays. I jumped the satellite coax nipple behind the the living room TV to the coax nipple that send the signal to the master bedroom upstairs where I put the wireless video bridge so it sits up higher in our trailer. The main DVR also is in the bedroom and the wireless mini is with the living room TV. It works great and we get all our channels and capabilities as we would at home. Also, we can move the wireless mini to an outside TV or projector for group entertainment such as the Super bowl.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #15
rhagfo

You may want to look into a cellular booster antenna. We Park Host and the site we are currently in has almost zero AT&T signal. We have a Weboost and it works great.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 AM   #16
lewy64

rhagfo mentioned the cell booster that is a must have. I didnt say it before but Im a fulltimer and a cell booster is a must. I purchased a weboost booster. The weboost works on almost all cell signals. It is quite expensive but worth it. It also allows more than 1 phone to use it. Some cell boosters from the cell providers only cover your phone and only there towers.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:19 AM   #17
craiggemt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
You may want to look into a cellular booster antenna. We Park Host and the site we are currently in has almost zero AT&T signal. We have a Weboost and it works great.

What model Weboost?
craiggemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:50 AM   #18
lewy64

I got the refurbished one of the 470101 -- weBoost Home 4G Cell Phone Signal Booster 470101R from ebay -- sorry thought you were replying to me.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #19
johnlewis

We found when full-timing that we needed both Verizon and Consumer Cellular (AT&T). In the west, Verizon is best, but there were areas east of the Mississippi where AT&T worked better. We used the Consumer Cellular wifi as much as possible, since it cost less than Verizon.
Our experience with campground wifi's is that most of them got overloaded quickly, so they weren't of much use. Besides, we did all our banking and bill-paying online, so we needed the secure services of a hotspot.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote