Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2019, 06:35 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Nope!!! I have had to test for faulty auto switchover valves. They either deliver full volume/pressure or they don’t work.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Not when you think about it. Imagine its 3AM and your furnace is trying to keep you warm. The tank your using goes empty, now you have to either be COLD or walk outside and turn the selector and open the other tank.

With an automatic switchover, both tanks can remain open, then when the one cylinder goes empty the selector will start drawing from the other cylinder, NO NEED to get up and go out in the cold. BTDT ONCE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean View Post
I get the automatic switch over if one tank runs empty. What doesn’t make sense is why put a switch in it at all? If it draws from both tanks, great. I will have to look into those sensors. They are sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The bolded part is where I think you're "missing the point"...

It doesn't draw from both tanks. It draws from ONE TANK, the tank that the selector valve is "pointed to" until that tank is empty, then it closes that valve and draws from the other tank. The indicator changes from green to red to give YOU (the operator) a visual indication that it has changed tanks, so you can then remove the empty tank and take it to be refilled, continuing "uninterrupted propane service". When you remove the tank for refilling, it's customary to switch the valve so it is pointing toward the "full tank" and the indicator will again change from red to green, indicating the 'selected tank is operable and providing propane to the system.

The sensors are "OK if you want TMI" but totally unnecessary if you fully understand and use the available propane automatic changeover valve/regulator as it's designed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I'm with Danny on this one!

If #1 tank goes empty, and then t#2 runs out without me knowing that I'm on my second bottle... I have to tough it out till the store opens at 9:00 next morning, to get LP.

If one bottle is held in reserve (turned off), I still get cold at 3:00 am, BUT just have to turn on bottle #2 and go back to bed. I now have 30# to empty, which gives me more leeway in my choices. Seems like campgrounds are always more $$$ than Agway or Tractor Supply.

Good Luck,
Well nice long discussion on the tanks and when to use auto switch over. Personally I am a fan of using the auto feature. It only requires you to simply check the regulator from time to time to see when changes from green to red , then it is time to fill the empty. I don't want to get up at 3:00 am on a wet stormy night to go out to open the second tank! Likely open too fast and mess stuff up!!
My TV only has one fuel tank, I watch the gauge, same concept!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #23
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Nope!!! I have had to test for faulty auto switchover valves. They either deliver full volume/pressure or they don’t work.

Thanks for that. I believed him and had it wrong all this time!
Old 04-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #24
notanlines

"If it draws from both tanks, great." To quote from the 70's, 'Negatory, big mama.' It is absolutely NOT great. If you chose to use the auto changeover, that is fine. If you chose to use one at a time, that is fine. Both of those systems are acceptable. But NOT both at the same time.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #25
Steveo57

Why do they always put the regulator facing the trailer so you can't see the indicator on the switch over valve? I just swapped mine around today so I can now see it. Before there was no way to see it without using a mirror or taking a picture with the phone. Before and after pics. And I cut a little viewing hole in the cover so I can see the indicator without pulling it off.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_152658.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	21379Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190413_161347.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	21380
Old 04-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Steve,

I've always been told they install the regulator on the rear of the screw thread rod so the flex hose will not be exposed to potential damage when handling the propane tanks. For me, it still seems like a remote problem that it would be damaged, but that's what I've always been told when I've asked, "Why can't the manufacturer install the changeover regulator so we can see it?"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #27
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Why do they always put the regulator facing the trailer so you can't see the indicator on the switch over valve? I just swapped mine around today so I can now see it. Before there was no way to see it without using a mirror or taking a picture with the phone. Before and after pics. And I cut a little viewing hole in the cover so I can see the indicator without pulling it off.Attachment 21379Attachment 21380
What's the little plastic thingy between the tanks in the first pic?
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #28
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Steve,

I've always been told they install the regulator on the rear of the screw thread rod so the flex hose will not be exposed to potential damage when handling the propane tanks. For me, it still seems like a remote problem that it would be damaged, but that's what I've always been told when I've asked, "Why can't the manufacturer install the changeover regulator so we can see it?"
I'm not sure I see that as a problem either. Someone else said it was to protect the fittings. I see tanks installed both ways so I guess there's no real standard. I was just wondering if there was a good reason to do it a certain way.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #29
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
What's the little plastic thingy between the tanks in the first pic?
It's a remote sensor for my weather station in the trailer.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:07 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Steve,

On every trailer I've owned, I always turned the regulator around so I could see it and access the valve without climbing between the front cap and the propane tanks. I've never had a problem and don't think you will either. To me, that "little irritation done by the manufacturer" is in the same category as the red "EXIT" sticker on the wall over the only exit door in the trailer, or the sticker over the fire extinguisher that says, "Fire Extinguisher". As if we wouldn't realize there's a way out of the trailer without that red sticker or couldn't find the fire extinguisher without their "identification label".....

Anyway, (rant off) I don't think you'll destroy your trailer or damage the hose by making things simpler to use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 AM   #31
mcmeadows1

We use a Mopeka LP Tank Check system -

AP PRODUCTS 0241000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QGLVJ2..._gMYSCbQR3XZ9D

Using this monitor system, we can keep the propane selector switch in the center position, drawing from both tanks, while still easily keeping an eye on the level of propane in each tank, without having to physically check each tank. It is very convenient and easy, and we can check the tanks’ levels at 03:00 hours, in cold wet rain, from the comfort of our RV.

I installed the monitor immediately above our RV’s control panel and also use the iOS app on both my, and my wife’s, iPhones and iPads to check the level of propane in both tanks. Using the iOS app, we can be inside the 5th, outside of it, or anywhere within thirty feet or so of it and still check the propane levels. (The signals are sent via Bluetooth.)

The monitor is set for 20 lb tanks and cannot be changed so, for our application, since we have 30 lb propane tanks, the included monitor shows the tanks as being full until they are emptied to about 50 or 60 percent. However, using the iOS app, we can see, in 1% increments, the exact level of propane in each tank. It is very impressive.

If we run out of propane now, it is only because we are too lazy to open the app on our devices and check the propane levels!
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeadows1 View Post
If we run out of propane now, it is only because we are too lazy to open the app on our devices and check the propane levels!

Not to say your system isn't effective, but exactly the same can be said about the automatic changeover regulator: "If we run out of propane now, it is only because we are too lazy to look at the position of the arrow and whether the indicator is red or green (which tells us the propane status in the tank).

I've always been inclined not to rely on battery powered accessories to monitor/operate sub-systems in anything. Simple mechanical devices that do the same thing often are less expensive and don't rely on a CR2032 battery that doesn't work effectively when cold. That's just my "old aeroplane background" where every system has a mechanical backup or it doesn't fly.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Just one more question:

have we run out of gas on this topic yet

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #34
Ken / Claudia

We have it great nowadays. I used to rv with only 1 tank hooked up at a time. When it ran out it was a a big pain. With 2 and a auto switch is problem solved.
Like every system on the RV, I check them while camping. When I see the red I change out that tank.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #35
butterbean

Chuckster57, my apologies for opening this can of worms. I thought it was a simple question but led to much more complicated discussion. My question was indeed answered quickly which is why I love this forum.
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #36
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeadows1 View Post

AP PRODUCTS 0241000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QGLVJ2..._gMYSCbQR3XZ9D

Using this monitor system, we can keep the propane selector switch in the center position, drawing from both tanks, while still easily keeping an eye on the level of propane in each tank, without having to physically check each tank. It is very convenient and easy, and we can check the tanks’ levels at 03:00 hours, in cold wet rain, from the comfort of our RV.

I installed the monitor immediately above our RV’s control panel and also use the iOS app on both my, and my wife’s, iPhones and iPads to check the level of propane in both tanks. Using the iOS app, we can be inside the 5th, outside of it, or anywhere within thirty feet or so of it and still check the propane levels. (The signals are sent via Bluetooth.)

The monitor is set for 20 lb tanks and cannot be changed so, for our application, since we have 30 lb propane tanks, the included monitor shows the tanks as being full until they are emptied to about 50 or 60 percent. However, using the iOS app, we can see, in 1% increments, the exact level of propane in each tank. It is very impressive.

I agree. I've had the Mopeka sensors and monitor installed on my rig for 3 seasons. It's accurate, hasn't failed, and gives me the convenience of using both the monitor and my phone. The batteries are changed out before the start of each season and last all the way through our Halloween camping nights. This was one of our top 5 mods to the trailer.

Btw, they do sell sensors now that are specific to the larger 30# tanks.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #37
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Now I'm out of gas....Click image for larger version

Name:	brainfart.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	21393

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #38
larryflew

The tank level system is available with either software for use with your phone or a stand alone receiver. Also should note that the little rubber feet they give you to raise your tank enough so the sensor fits under it are a PITA. I put little 1/2 aluminum blocks in the tank holders in 3 stops to I didn't have to mess with the lost rubber blocks that go flying as you try and put your tank back in your rig after filling. Also slightly cheaper through Amazon and Feebay.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #39
Local150

Propane

I leave one on and when it runs out I swith,, and yes I have had to go out in the cold, but I have had them both on and ran out and ended up froze to death by morning,, at my age you get forgetful
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #40
linux3

I open one tank. When things sputter I open the second tank and get the first one filled.
I like to keep my life simple.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane