Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
cookinwitdiesel

Toy Hauler vs Bunk House

My wife and I have began researching what we will want our next (and maybe final? - at least for a LONG time) trailer to be. We would be making a purchase in probably about 1.5 years, so no rush but want to get well-informed leading up to that point.

We are pretty sure we want the following:

-Spacious bedroom where you can comfortably walk around
-1 and 1/2 bathrooms
-a separate isolated area where a kid can sleep/play without monopolizing the living area
-a formal dinette/eating area with a table (not just a sofa with a pop up table), used for working on a laptop as well as meals

We have ascertained that this pretty much rules out travel trailers and would be a fifth wheel due to the extra space offered. We found some TTs (like the Impact 332) that get close but they give up a lot of the "living area" and still have extremely cramped bedrooms. The same floor plan is available on about 5 different companies all with the same limitations.

We have been looking at the different options offered by 37'-42' trailers in regards to layouts and what not. Something that occurred to us on our last camp out where the neighbor site had a gorgeous Momentum 395m was that we had written off toy haulers as we did not think we would need it, but they can function well as a bunkhouse with a lot of other benefits (really like that fold out patio!). And of course, if we want to get a "toy" down the road, the garage is needed to bring it with us. We got a nice tour of that one, it was pretty amazing.

So my ask is this, how well can toy haulers work as a "bunk house" from a livability standpoint? I have seen concerns about keeping the temperature in them steady and that they are obviously built heavier duty to accommodate the load in the garage and this is not needed if you don't have a toy in there.

Some of the layouts under consideration:

Grand Design Momentum 395m
Jayco Seismic 4250 (not ideal dinette)
Keystone Raptor 425TS
Keystone Fuzion 429
Keystone Montana High Country 362RD
Keystone Montana High Country 365BH
Keystone Montana High Country 385BR
Keystone Montana 3855BR
Keystone Avalanche 386BG (no 1/2 bath but looks really nice!)

Side question, what are the differences between the Montana and High Country? Like with TTs, Keystone offers a crazy variety of 5ers and it is not clear what delineates the different lines. Same with Fuzion/Carbon/Impact/Raptor.

Thanks!
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
travelin texans

Have not owned a TH personally but have several friends with several different brands that use them to haul toys & kids & all like their particular brand.
There are a couple things that immediately come to my mind in owning one the size you've mentioned, #1 you WILL definitely need a dually truck, preferably diesel & #2 the fold out patios although very nice, whether on the side or rear, require a large site which are not that readily available in many locations.
Just MY opinions!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
cookinwitdiesel

Totally get it on the truck. Part of the waiting period is a) my truck is not even a year old, so have to use it some to make the hit on trade-in worthwhile and b) wanted to wait for at least the 2nd model year (2021s) of the new GMC HDs so they can work some of the kinks out

Planning to get a 3500 DRW Diesel and never worry about trucks again haha
Old 04-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Totally get it on the truck. Part of the waiting period is a) my truck is not even a year old, so have to use it some to make the hit on trade-in worthwhile and b) wanted to wait for at least the 2nd model year (2021s) of the new GMC HDs so they can work some of the kinks out

Planning to get a 3500 DRW Diesel and never worry about trucks again haha
From experience selling my '13 Denali 3500 dually recently it's worth much more if you sell it yourself rather than trade it, like $8-10k more, they are very sought after trucks especially 2-3 year old well cared for short bed diesels.
Replacement undetermined
Old 04-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
xrated

We just bought a Momentum 394M, which is the same exact model as the 395M....except ours does not have the half bath in the rear...we really didn't want or need it. A lot of folks do exactly what you are thinking...combination bathhouse/toy hauler and in my opinion, that would work very well for that purpose. I've seen folks buy or have made an insulated curtain for the back area that can be hung or taken down (by the ramp door), as needed. If you go that route, definitely go for the third A/C unit too....for the garage area. You can supplement heat back there if needed with a free standing plug in heater...1500W and probably keep that area pretty comfy. Toy Haulers in general are quite flexible as far as configurations for different usage. We love ours, even though we don't usually have visited staying back there more than a couple of times a year. Right now, ours is setup to haul two motorcycles AND two bicycles at the same time...and we have room for our dog crate, a clam shelter, the bottom section of a roll around toolbox, as well as a portable propane fire pit and a 20 lb tank.....plus chairs, etc.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
cookinwitdiesel

Ya, their 395m was awesome. I knew GD had a good reputation for quality (been looking at them heavily), but getting to spend a half hour in their unit with them, it was pretty obvious to me. Very nice trailer! They were pulling it with a 2015 Sierra 3500 SRW Diesel. They were pretty sure they were safe on weights but I was a little skeptical that the SRW could handle that beast well (he said he had nearly 4k payload rating on the truck). They did have a gas golf cart in the garage which takes some weight off the pin I guess.

My wife is insistent she wants the half bath, if that gets authorization for a sizable purchase, I am not going to get in the way lol

Has your garage been pretty easy to keep comfortable then? In their brochure they talk up the garage insulation a lot as a differentiating factor from other brands.

The size and versatility of the garage are huge selling points.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
cookinwitdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
From experience selling my '13 Denali 3500 dually recently it's worth much more if you sell it yourself rather than trade it, like $8-10k more, they are very sought after trucks especially 2-3 year old well cared for short bed diesels.
Hopefully I can get some nice interest when ready to sell. I baby it pretty well (even put in a sheet of pressure treated 3/4" plywood to protect the bed liner haha) and it will be silly low mileage for its age as it is pretty much only used for Home Depot/Costco runs and camping.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Hopefully I can get some nice interest when ready to sell. I baby it pretty well (even put in a sheet of pressure treated 3/4" plywood to protect the bed liner haha) and it will be silly low mileage for its age as it is pretty much only used for Home Depot/Costco runs and camping.
Then it should bring a premium price if you sell it yourself, the dealer will take you to the cleaners & probably sell it at the premium price the same day.
I was shocked & pleased at the blue book price of my '13, exactly 6 years old, even with 140k miles on her. The high mileage was a $2500 deduct & it still listed for over $39k.
My son had a '05-06 Ram 3500 4x4 SRW Mega Cab with 287k miles that last year got totalled in an accident & insurance paid over $30k for it, so the market for them is very good.
I'm sure when you get ready for the upgrade once you list your truck you'll probably sell it in a hour.
Replacement undetermined
Old 04-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Ya, their 395m was awesome. I knew GD had a good reputation for quality (been looking at them heavily), but getting to spend a half hour in their unit with them, it was pretty obvious to me. Very nice trailer! They were pulling it with a 2015 Sierra 3500 SRW Diesel. They were pretty sure they were safe on weights but I was a little skeptical that the SRW could handle that beast well (he said he had nearly 4k payload rating on the truck). They did have a gas golf cart in the garage which takes some weight off the pin I guess.

My wife is insistent she wants the half bath, if that gets authorization for a sizable purchase, I am not going to get in the way lol

Has your garage been pretty easy to keep comfortable then? In their brochure they talk up the garage insulation a lot as a differentiating factor from other brands.

The size and versatility of the garage are huge selling points.
I honestly cannot say....we just got it March 1st and brought it home. I've been modding stuff every weekend to get it the exact way we want it and what will work well for us. I can't imagine it wouldn't though. The garage floor for example has insulation rated to R40.....it has the Arctic package on it.

And as an opinion on pulling it with a SRW one ton truck....I wouldn't even consider it. Empty weight on that trailer is a little over 15,500 lbs and the GVWR is 20K lbs.....no way with a SRW for me.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
NevadaRich

Cookin, I have a Toyhauler and use it for all types of trips, With my ATV and stuff I am closer to 25K in weight....I had a 2500 truck when I first got the TH, when coming back on HWY 80, it was not a good ride home, because it was very windy, later after getting a dully, I haven't had any trouble on windy trips, bigger brakes also......we also use it for guest, grand kids love the loft area, and our son and wife like the queen beds after adding toppers....must have the 1/2 bath, cuts down on foot traffic, after pulling out the toys, you can turn the garage for dinner, kids player area, TV room for kids, some of the RV parks we go too has enough room to drop the tail gate, and use it for an extra room.....Good luck on your choice, ! ton dully first, then pick the right RV for you and the Family
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
cookinwitdiesel

Ya, now our discussions are shifting towards maybe trading up in 6 months instead of 18 months lol

We will see how things move forward but it sounds like a toy hauler is a good choice

Thanks guys!
Old 04-23-2019, 04:31 AM   #12
spade117

I've been thinking about the toy hauler vs bunkhouse myself the last few days and started looking at current floor plans. I really like some of plans, but I would really like to stay under 35' for length and that seemed hard to find.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:19 AM   #13
ChrisM

I have a toy hauler with half bath and really like it. I've used mine as a garage, 2nd bedroom, and office. The patio is neat in concept but more of a novelty after using it once or twice. I don't leave mine out mostly because of concerns about water and delamination of the ramp door. It's true that they're not insulated under the garage so a bit more difficult to keep warm than the rest of the coach but nothing a space heater can't fix. You do have to watch out for freezing weather and the back bathroom.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:02 AM   #14
cookinwitdiesel

As I mentioned earlier, the GD Momentum seems to have more/acceptable garage insulation. SO hopefully it works well as advertised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-23_12-01-23.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	21522  
Old 04-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #15
RaptorJB

So we have the Raptor 425TS. I'm 6'7" at 280LBS + wife + 2 boys, one 13 other 9. Always have guest when camping. In the bedroom I can stand tall (no shoes) so my head doesn't hit the ceiling, big plus for me + east\west bed that slides out, nice room walking around. We also have the washer\dryer combo installed in the bedroom. Garage is used for the 2 boys + friends, plus they have a 1/2 bath, guest also use this when needed. We do haul the RXV Golf Cart everywhere we go so having that option in the garage is very nice. Get 3 ACs for sure, garage will get hot and you'll wish you had it. No problem heating it, but I live in the south and not really-really cold here.
Curt Q24 5th Wheel Hitch Slider
RaptorJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #16
AbHDToyHauler

We have the Fuzion and I am also 6'7". Wish bedroom had an inch or two more. I can stand fully upright but it's a close call on the vents and stuff sticking down. And door to the garage is quite low and has nailed me a few times LOL. Otherwise a great RV so far. I guess you can always find something to complain about. Wife didn't want 1/2 bath but I wish we had got it as we spend alot of time in garage area once bikes are unloaded or if we camp without them along. However we needed 12 foot garage for two Harleys and bathroom made trailer even longer and I liked the 38' (two axle setup) so that pretty much settled it.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHDToyHauler View Post
We have the Fuzion and I am also 6'7". Wish bedroom had an inch or two more. I can stand fully upright but it's a close call on the vents and stuff sticking down. And door to the garage is quite low and has nailed me a few times LOL. Otherwise a great RV so far. I guess you can always find something to complain about. Wife didn't want 1/2 bath but I wish we had got it as we spend alot of time in garage area once bikes are unloaded or if we camp without them along. However we needed 12 foot garage for two Harleys and bathroom made trailer even longer and I liked the 38' (two axle setup) so that pretty much settled it.
At 6'7" I'm sure everywhere you stand up could use a couple more inches, not just your TH.
Replacement undetermined
Old 04-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #18
AbHDToyHauler

Hahahah well I am used to it but yes tall ceilings are good ceilings.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #19
xrated

When I was a kid, I always wanted to be tall, dark, and handsome! Three strikes and I was out! Oh well...

Old 04-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #20
AbHDToyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
When I was a kid, I always wanted to be tall, dark, and handsome! Three strikes and I was out! Oh well...
Hahaha . Yes well I am Tall , not so dark and not so handsome. LOL Thanks for the laugh.

Tags
toy hauler