Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
jsmith948

Helping our fellow RVers

I didn't want to side track/hijack an ongoing thread so I thought I would post my thoughts here:

Just read a thread regarding dead batteries at a Canadian Provincial Park. It seems the OP was trying to charge his dead camper batteries using the truck's charging circuit. He was advised to ask around the CG to see if someone might loan him the use of a generator. He ended up trying to use jumpers from the truck. It seemed no one would or could loan him the use of a genny.

Why is that? Why couldn't anyone come to this guy's aid? Have we, as a community of folks who enjoy camping/RVing, become so self centered and "me first" that we can't take a little time to help someone out?

A case in point: We recently stayed at an Oregon SP. My DS and I were enjoying some good, catch up conversation while enjoying a couple 'Barley Pops' outside of the camper during a break in the rain. A man and a young girl were walking by - the man was carrying a bicycle wheel and tire. He asked if we had a tire pump. I said: "No, but I do have a compressor".
We dug out my air hose - fired up the compressor, and aired up the guy's tire. He said that he had walked around the entire campground (which was about half full)and NO ONE had a pump or compressor! Figure the odds on that! We could have shined this guy on as well. He would have gotten his tire aired up in town. It took the DS and I about 2 minutes to help this guy out and guess what? We felt good about dong it. The little girl could ride her bike and our beer didn't even get warm. Later on, the little girl rode by and rewarded us with a big smile and a shy little wave. Ain't life grand?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Hard to beleive no one in a campground had a genny either onboard or carry along. They or solar are a must for any length dry camping. Hard to beleive no one would help. I think they did not ask.
I have helped others and needed help also over the years.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I always try to help anyone in any way I can. Case in point; when at our regular FL campground this winter one of the full time residents, a nice young man but a little slow, was going to be ejected from the camp because he had a leak (he didn't know what kind - the owner had just told him to fix it or leave). He was discharged from the military for some "other" reason which I'm sure was his mental capacity. Anyway, he came by asking if we had any bottled water that he could use because his water had been shut off so I asked what the deal was. And he told me.

We went to his trailer and I asked about the leak. He didn't know a drain line from a stabilizer. Crawled under the trailer and I could see the big drain line had separated at a joint and the black water just came right out. I got him on his knees and showed him. Asked if he had any kind of stuff to repair it....no. I gave him a list of what was required and he said he would get it. Next day I asked and he said he didn't have the money. I went to the local "we got it all" place in the little village and bought the cement, primer, cleaner etc. Took it back, and realizing it would be a lost cause to ask him to do it, crawled under the trailer and fixed it. It was a pretty old trailer and the joint had just separated. A little cleaning, slapping the cement on it and holding it for a bit and he was good to go.

I believe it is incumbent upon all of us to try to help anyone that's in a bind if we are able. We have been blessed and it's no skin off my nose to take time and use any knowledge I have, or spend a little money, to help someone in need. As far as why other folks don't help? It seems to me that over the years people in general are getting more and more "isolated" to themselves, whether in a s&b neighborhood or in a campground. They don't want to associate or be bothered....maybe a little anti social, maybe a little scared of strangers? I don't know but I do know it is getting more and more prevalent. What to do? I don't know that either other than to try to be as friendly and helpful as you can be wherever you are to hopefully open others up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
Northofu1

Now, I carry my 120V battery charger with me as they are quite lighter than they used to be. I would help out someone in need. Within reason.
Society has changed, and not for the better it seems.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Cbrez

While camping in Canada last summer the rig next to me experienced a short in the power cord plug. The guy bought a new plug but was not sure how to wire it up. He went to the CG office to see if they had a maintenance person available to explain the wiring. They said they’d send someone over to help. Not long after the owner of the CG shows up. Now he could have made a hundred excuses for why they were too busy to help - the CG was full - but he sits down a the picnic table and spends about 30 min replacing the shorted out plug. It was a hot day, especially by Canadian standards, so I pulled a cold watermelon out of the fridge, carved it up and took it over. After he finished with the plug we sat around for another 30 min eating watermelon and trading stories (as a CG owner he had plenty of stories). This kind gesture by the owner turned what was going to be an anxious afternoon for my neighbor into an unexpectedly enjoyable situation. A little kindness does go a long way, which in my experience most campers seem to understand.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
Canonman

Thank you Jack for starting this thread. I feel it an obligation to help any brother camper any time. I've borrowed tools, parts, generator, time and experience to anyone who has asked. Only once did I kind of wished I hadn't.
Leaving before dawn one morning a young woman asked if she could borrow some gas. I was in a bit of a hurry to get to a photo location so I just grabbed my 2 gal can I use for the generator, gave it to her and took off without any questions. When I got back around noon, the DW had a story for me from the borrower. "Sorry we blew up your gas can. After starting our truck we decided to start a fire to warm up but our wood was wet. I guess my boyfriend spilled some gas after pouring it on the wood and when we lit the wood the flames kind of jumped and then followed the spilled gas to the can and then the can caught fire and kind of exploded and then we couldn't put it out and then the tent started to burn..." You get the point.
Others camped nearby hauled out their fire extinguishers and all helped to put out the fire. The greenie campers cleaned up and left more experienced and surely grateful to their fellow campers.
I try to carry everything I think I'll need to make our camping trip comfortable and successful especially in the event something needs repair. I'd like to think if there was something I needed and didn't have I could always ask a fellow camper for their help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6321 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1,005.8 KB
ID:	21479  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
busterbrown

Last year, we had a group of young women in a popup several sites over from us. One of the women in their party walked over to me to see if I had a jack as they "thought" they had a flat tire.

Without hesitation, I picked up my tool bag, bottle jack, and impact wrench and walked over to assess. Unfortunately, they had a much 'bigger' problem than a flat tire. The driver's side lower control arm was corroded so badly that it broke free from the ball joint and spindle. It looked like they had a flat as the wheel was buried in the wheelwell.

Told them their only option was a tow truck as the vehicle needed extensive repairs. They thanked me and called for a truck.

From the stories I've heard and read, RV'ers are normally a helpful bunch, especially in the times of crisis or difficulty. As for the general population, I have my doubts.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Thank you Jack for starting this thread. I feel it an obligation to help any brother camper any time. I've borrowed tools, parts, generator, time and experience to anyone who has asked. Only once did I kind of wished I hadn't.
Leaving before dawn one morning a young woman asked if she could borrow some gas. I was in a bit of a hurry to get to a photo location so I just grabbed my 2 gal can I use for the generator, gave it to her and took off without any questions. When I got back around noon, the DW had a story for me from the borrower. "Sorry we blew up your gas can. After starting our truck we decided to start a fire to warm up but our wood was wet. I guess my boyfriend spilled some gas after pouring it on the wood and when we lit the wood the flames kind of jumped and then followed the spilled gas to the can and then the can caught fire and kind of exploded and then we couldn't put it out and then the tent started to burn..." You get the point.
Others camped nearby hauled out their fire extinguishers and all helped to put out the fire. The greenie campers cleaned up and left more experienced and surely grateful to their fellow campers.
I try to carry everything I think I'll need to make our camping trip comfortable and successful especially in the event something needs repair. I'd like to think if there was something I needed and didn't have I could always ask a fellow camper for their help.
Off topic Brian, it's nearly impossible to capture a "bad" photo at the Mesa Arch sunrise. Everyone set up like they were professional photo journalists. Quite the experience. Have 50 more like these (first is from my Galaxy9 phone, next from a Canon m50...) Those national parks in Utah are amazing...

Name:	Sunrise_gal9_10.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	21482

Name:	Sunrise_Canon02.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	21483

Name:	Sunrise_Canon3.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	21484
and now back to your regularly scheduled program...
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
travelin texans

Not to offend anyone, but there are 2 kinds of campers!
Group #1 is the category those of us on here fall into, helpful, courteous & take care of our stuff as well as the facilities wherever we happen to be parked.
Group #2 are the weekend warriors that show up late Friday nite, party & raise hell late Fri, Sat nites, their kids running through sites all over the park day & night while the dog is tied up outside barking non stop, use/abuse ALL the facilities, could care less about anyone else in the park & when they leave all their crap, & the dogs crap, is left behind for some else to pick up. Sorry for the rant, but have seen this far too many times & just seems to get worse.
As to helping fellow campers, or anyone for that matter, I've done it so many times I've lost count & will continue to do so til too feeble to be of any help.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
River Duck

At 39 years of age I definitely see the gap in the generations older and younger than myself. Most of the younger generations are, well to be straight forward about it, they’re selfish. Not at all concerned with other peoples problems. Just as long as they get what they want they’re happy. Convenience is ruining humanity in my opinion.
I grew up camping with my parents. Traveled some but spent most of those years at a seasonal spot. My dad would do anything he could do to help anyone out. All the men in those seasonal spots were that way. Looking back, I think Dad enjoyed that as much as anything to do with the whole experience. Rest his soul, he was what I think a man should be.
I’m new to this forum but when I found it after we bought our fifth wheel last November I could quickly tell that there’s a lot of helpful men on here. Just like my Dad was. Glad to have this place to lean on.
The wife and I are looking forward to taking our 5 year old boy to experience some of those same memories I have with my Dad. We have our maiden voyage planned in three weeks. Bet your bottom dollar if someone camping near us needs a hand, I’ll do what I can to help out. That’s what my old man would’ve done
River Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:33 AM   #11
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Canadian campgrounds, national or provincial don't allow generators.
Now, I carry my 120V battery charger with me as they are quite lighter than they used to be. I would help out someone in need. Within reason.
Society has changed, and not for the better it seems.
Huh? They restrict the usage to 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, but they are allowed, at least in BC.

The National parks I've stayed in (Banff, Jasper etc.) all had power, so I left my little generator at home for those trips.

Beyond that I'm confused by the story. Why jumpers if they had the TV with them? Jumpers would be no better than the 7 prong plug for charging.

I will help people to a point. If they made a simple mistake, no biggee. If they are new, no problem. But there are some I get annoyed with almost instantly that I don't see myself helping.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:35 AM   #12
GMcKenzie

Okay, here's a question of when I didn't do something and felt kinda bad after. Pulled into a known campsite where power and water pressure can be an issue. Saw the guy next to me (not there at the time) had his water regulator at the trailer end of the hose. Thought it was kind of dumb but set up and sat down for a beer. All of the sudden his hose explodes. All of this while he was away so I never had a chance to mention it to him.

Would you have turned off the water to his rig knowing it was a potential issue?

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:53 AM   #13
Canonman

I wouldn't proactively touch anyone's rig if they weren't there. However, if I saw the hose blow, I'd immediately shut the water off and leave a note fo the owner.
A conversation once the owner returned about the city water configuration or whatever the questionable issue was would be most appropriate. There might be a perfectly good reason for how something was done different than how I'd do it and I might just learn something.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #14
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Huh? They restrict the usage to 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, but they are allowed, at least in BC.

The National parks I've stayed in (Banff, Jasper etc.) all had power, so I left my little generator at home for those trips.

Beyond that I'm confused by the story. Why jumpers if they had the TV with them? Jumpers would be no better than the 7 prong plug for charging.

I will help people to a point. If they made a simple mistake, no biggee. If they are new, no problem. But there are some I get annoyed with almost instantly that I don't see myself helping.
Sorry, made a mistake. They do allow generators, no one is using them as they usually have power supplied. There are limitations for running them, and they vary.
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #15
the406life

I'm always willing to help fellow RVers. I've jump started vehicles, helped people back into tight spots when the wife wasn't really comfortable guiding the husband, and I'm sure other things I'm forgetting.

But I'm also in Montana where you will find most people willing to help if they have the means to do so. Most of us here are still friendly and helpful, however as someone mentioned before society is changing and not really for the better. I just make sure I'm self sufficient. Rarely do I find myself in a situation where I don't have the means to fix it myself, which also makes me well prepared to help others.
the406life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by the406life View Post
I'm always willing to help fellow RVers. I've jump started vehicles, helped people back into tight spots when the wife wasn't really comfortable guiding the husband, and I'm sure other things I'm forgetting.

But I'm also in Montana where you will find most people willing to help if they have the means to do so. Most of us here are still friendly and helpful, however as someone mentioned before society is changing and not really for the better. I just make sure I'm self sufficient. Rarely do I find myself in a situation where I don't have the means to fix it myself, which also makes me well prepared to help others.

Many times the question is asked as to what a new person needs to take. The highlited sentence above is the goal. When I was in my late 20s bought my mom and dad's Jayco pop up. He said he had taken care of everything. I thought I was moving into luxury land from a tent so thought it was going to be wonderful bliss; so much less trouble than setting up a tent camp. Took it on our first trip to the mountains; about a 4 hour drive. Got to the end of the pavement and took off on a little trail by a stream where we liked to camp - pretty isolated. After about a mile or a little more the trailer bumped, dropped and sort of skidded. We were going all of 2mph so stopped to see what was going on....the right tire and wheel of the trailer were gone! Found it on the side of the road and looked at the end of the axle....spindle was cut off (dad had never greased a wheel bearing since he had it and I didn't ask - I assumed).

I used a jack (vehicle) to raise the corners of the trailer (in the middle of the trail) and placed jack stands under them. That, unfortunately, was the extent of the tools I had other than my "old timer". Fortunately we had passed a camp about a 1/4 mile behind us and I could still see their lanterns. My son spent the rest of evening/part of the night (it was after dark when we got there - about 9pm) jogging back and forth between us and the other camp bringing me tools to remove the axle. Ended up getting a new spindle at an axle shop in Alamogordo, NM on Sunday-wonderful folks.

All to point out the importance of self sufficiency and willingness to help others. If I had loaded all the things I could possibly need (I do now) I would not have needed assistance. The folks down the road could have just told my son to get on out, but they didn't. They loaned him everything I had him ask for that they had. The axle shop guy didn't have to come down on a Sunday; I was a guy from TX interrupting his Sunday morning. Instead, he spent his morning removing the old spindle and installing the new one. Nice, helpful folks that turned what could have been a very miserable experience into something that wasn't so bad. And I learned so very much right off the bat about pulling a trailer, of any kind, and to me, the importance of "paying it forward".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Okay, here's a question of when I didn't do something and felt kinda bad after. Pulled into a known campsite where power and water pressure can be an issue. Saw the guy next to me (not there at the time) had his water regulator at the trailer end of the hose. Thought it was kind of dumb but set up and sat down for a beer. All of the sudden his hose explodes. All of this while he was away so I never had a chance to mention it to him.

Would you have turned off the water to his rig knowing it was a potential issue?
I've got a know it all brother in law, actually my wife's BIL I'm in no way related to him, that's owned a rv 15 minutes but knows everything you could ever want to know about rvs, read it on the internet, the expert with no experience.
Anyway back to my story! He always placed the water regulator at the rv to which I said he should put it at the faucet, "I don't give a damn about the hose I'm protecting my rv" he says & has a point, but protecting both to me is a better idea.
Then he trys to run his ac while plugged into a 15 amp receptacle with a 100' 16 gauge extension cord & can't understand why the breaker keeps tripping, my DW asked if I'm going to tell him (she knew the problem right away) & I said "nope, he's the rv expert". Oh BTW I forgot to mention he has a PhD!!
My point being, some are just so smart they don't need/want help when in fact they're the ones that may need it the most.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s all about paying it forward. I have helped and been helped. To me it’s a “code of conduct” that goes with the ownership/ use of an RV. Now that I have been a tech for “a minute” more complicated field fixes don’t scare me.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #19
14george

At a campground in Tennessee a lady and a boy were trying to get awning up (Manuel) sat rhere for a few minutes didn’t want to interfere then went over to help them get it up she appreciated the help
Old 04-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #20
Ksupaul

I love helping others to try and payforward all those that have helped me in the past. That’s said I don’t have a generator, hand air pump, or a compressor with me either. Could have jumped the battery I guess!!
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote