Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
kinggartk

Bent Axle

I purchased my bullet in Feb of this year. Still under manufacturer warranty.

Recently discovered I have a bent axle and has ruined 2 of my almost brand new Carlisle tires.

I've only been out on about 4 trips this year and can't think of any incident that would have caused the damage. I'm convinced I purchased it with the bent axle. That was something I didn't think to look for in the PDI.

Dealer is attempting to get Keystone to approve the fix...but I'm not confident they will approve it. I'm sure they will say I damaged it...and I can't prove that I didn't.

With that being said...how much can I expect to pay to replace the bent axle? As an alternative...can the old axle be straightened? If so, how much could I expect to pay for that?

2018 Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2510BH
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Super Cab
kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post

Recently discovered I have a bent axle and has ruined 2 of my almost brand new Carlisle tires.

I've only been out on about 4 trips this year and can't think of any incident that would have caused the damage. I'm convinced I purchased it with the bent axle. That was something I didn't think to look for in the PDI.

Dealer is attempting to get Keystone to approve the fix...but I'm not confident they will approve it. I'm sure they will say I damaged it...and I can't prove that I didn't.

With that being said...how much can I expect to pay to replace the bent axle? As an alternative...can the old axle be straightened? If so, how much could I expect to pay for that?
Had one replaced on a 5er about five years ago at a frame shop in Hurricane UT. Out the door complete with all hardware including brakes $1200.
It was a Dexter axle 5200# I think. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
Racebug

I am pretty sure they are supposed to be bent. All three of mine are bent. Aids in tracking correctly.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
kinggartk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebug View Post
I am pretty sure they are supposed to be bent. All three of mine are bent. Aids in tracking correctly.
This one is bent to the point that it ruin two brand new Carlilse tires in about 500 miles of driving.

I'm pretty sure it is bent more than it should be.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
Javi

Place to start...

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axl...e/8327820.html
Old 07-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
Ddubya

If it is a Dexter axle I would contact them directly. They just replaced one for me because of tire wear.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:

I scanned over this. Don't look like much help available for costs.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defau...).pdf?sfvrsn=4
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #8
Frank G

There should be a sticker on the center of the Axle giving complete build information and there are stamped numbers in the middle of the Axle. If it is a Dexter axle go to there web site and fill out the warrantee claim form and send it along with pictures. If your dealer is involved with installation they can file it.

For the do it yourselfer go to Johnson Surplus in White Pigeon Michigan

https://www.johnsonssurplus.com/
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
Ddubya

I have an alignment problem on my 2017 Alpine. Keystone warranty has expired. I went to Lippert and went through all of the measurements on the frame with them. They said the frame was in spec and told me to contact Dexter. I contacted Dexter and went through their measurement exercise. They confirmed that I have a bent axle and are sending one at no charge.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
travelin texans

Forget the dealer, call Keystone directly or Dexter/Lippert whomever the axle came from, you'll get quicker service & a honest answer.
Mine was bent & wore out 1 tire in less than 5k miles, they sent me to an alignment service & reimbursed me for the alignment & paid for a new tire, all 4 tires have worn even ever since. The alignment was $125 per axle, so much cheaper than new axles.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #11
Gegrad

Search for a Dexter axle dealer near you. I had a bent axle on my 2011 Passport; found a local dealer who sold me a brand new Dexter axle based on the sticker numbers (length and distance between brackets) for $95. My local RV repair place charged me $225 to transfer the brakes, backing plates, and complete the install. So my total cost was roughly $325.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #12
travelin texans

If you have any mechanical ability, a couple jacks/jack stands, assorted tools, this is not a difficult job to do yourself.
But being under warranty I'd be sure it got done by your dealer, axle manufacturer or someone being paid through your warranty along with tire replacements. If you have to go toe to toe with the dealership owner/GM, do it, if that doesn't work keep going up the chain of command.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-18-2018, 04:05 AM   #13
Ddubya

Travelin Texans, where did you get your alignment done. I plan to have mine done in Ft Worth.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #14
travelin texans

Sorry, but the factory recommended a place in Elkhart Indiana while I was there having other warranty items taken care of.
Personally don't know of any place in the DFW area.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #15
Ddubya

Travelin Texans, Thanks for the info.
I found a place in Ft Worth that did a friends fifth wheel and called them. They seemed to know all about the procedure and have done a lot of these alignments.
Rays Champion Spring and Motor Service.
My new axle was delivered today. Not sure what I will do with it as Rays said they will not need it.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #16
SummitPond

Quote:

Recently discovered I have a bent axle and has ruined 2 of my almost brand new Carlisle tires. ...
Did your new Bullet come with Carlisles? If not, is there a possibility the shop that changed out the tires is responsible for the axle damage?

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
Travelin Texans, Thanks for the info.
I found a place in Ft Worth that did a friends fifth wheel and called them. They seemed to know all about the procedure and have done a lot of these alignments.
Rays Champion Spring and Motor Service.
My new axle was delivered today. Not sure what I will do with it as Rays said they will not need it.
Good info! Just don't watch them under there bending the tubes, it'll scare the hell out you!
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-19-2018, 03:48 AM   #18
kinggartk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Did your new Bullet come with Carlisles? If not, is there a possibility the shop that changed out the tires is responsible for the axle damage?
I guess that is possible...but I couldn't prove it.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:06 AM   #19
Dave W

I wouldn't bet on Keystone stepping up to pay for a new axle. You have used the RV on unknown roads and these roads in North America are getting worse by the day.

If I needed an axle, I would look at Eastern Marine first (https://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/axles ) they sell Dexter axles and are quite a bit less then anywhere else that I've looked, You will have a part number tag stuck somewhere on that axle, or if washed off, the numbers will be stamped on the back side, Eastern also show you how to measure for a double check.

It's a very easy change out that a DIYer with a few tools can do or even a local and decent garage if you don't have the tools. The tools are a ratchet and 4" extension 13/16" socket for the wheels, a 3/4" socket for the U-bolts and a 9/16" socket for the backing plate bolts along with a big pair of pilers for the spindle nut. You can borrow a torque wrench from Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. If Harbor Freight has a nearby store, 20 bucks will buy all but the torque wrench.

Good luck with your dealer and Keystone but also let us know
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #20
Ddubya

Interesting enough, FedEx just delivered a second axle from Dexter to go along with the first which also came with four new seals and eight u-bolts. I guess I will install the new free axles and see if my tire wear problem goes away. If not I will have the axles aligned.

Tags
axle