Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
rosede

Replacement vent cover

Yesterday I noticed that a vent cover was damage in a recent storm and I need to get a new cover before anymore rain comes. I don't know who manufactured my vent. I'm planning on going to CW and pickup a replacement cover. Does it matter on what I get, or do I need a specific cover for a specific brand?

I have a 272RK.

Thank you.

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #2
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosede View Post
Yesterday I noticed that a vent cover was damage in a recent storm and I need to get a new cover before anymore rain comes. I don't know who manufactured my vent. I'm planning on going to CW and pickup a replacement cover. Does it matter on what I get, or do I need a specific cover for a specific brand?

I have a 272RK.

Thank you.

Daryl
I'm pretty sure it does. There are multiple manufacturers and configurations. Just to save a little frustration, I'd take the old one with me and match it up.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'm pretty sure it does. There are multiple manufacturers and configurations. Just to save a little frustration, I'd take the old one with me and match it up.
I was afraid that was what I would here. I'll probably have to put some duct ape or something over it to protect it until I have an opportunity to get a new cover.

How about that flex seal stuff? Has anyone worked with that? I need something temporary and water proof until I get a chance to replace the cover.

Thanks

Daryl

Old 08-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

First, what vent cover are you talking about? There is a vent cover on the range exhaust, two or three vent covers on the roof, for sewer and the refrigerator, a vent cover on the water heater door and a vent cover on the furnace. Then there are vent covers that are installed over the roof vents which "ventilate the bathroom and other areas of the trailer. As well, there are vent covers that close over those roof vents and are an integral part of that assembly. Which is broken?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
First, what vent cover are you talking about? There is a vent cover on the range exhaust, two or three vent covers on the roof, for sewer and the refrigerator, a vent cover on the water heater door and a vent cover on the furnace. Then there are vent covers that are installed over the roof vents which "ventilate the bathroom and other areas of the trailer. As well, there are vent covers that close over those roof vents and are an integral part of that assembly. Which is broken?
Sorry, I didn't realize there were so many different types of vent's.

This particular vent is the vent for the bathroom.

Thank you.

Daryl

Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If it's the white (or gray) plastic dome over the 14" roof vent, you can probably use a plastic dish tub turned upside down over it. Remove the damaged cover, put the dish pan over the hole, take the broken cover with you to the camping repair store. There are some "universal" covers, but they seldom fit "every vent style". Best to have the old one to compare and the dish pan will protect the inside of your trailer while you "shop".....

While you're "up there changing things" it would be a great time to install a MaxAir vent cover to not only protect the plastic dome but also to help prevent rain from entering the trailer if you might forget and leave the dome open.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #7
rosede

Quote:
If it's the white (or gray) plastic dome over the 14" roof vent, you can probably use a plastic dish tub turned upside down over it. Remove the damaged cover, put the dish pan over the hole, take the broken cover with you to the camping repair store. There are some "universal" covers, but they seldom fit "every vent style". Best to have the old one to compare and the dish pan will protect the inside of your trailer while you "shop".....

While you're "up there changing things" it would be a great time to install a MaxAir vent cover to not only protect the plastic dome but also to help prevent rain from entering the trailer if you might forget and leave the dome open.
Thank you John. Great idea on the dish pan. I had MaxAir covers on my old trailer, but never got around to adding them on this camper. One of these day's I'll probably get them installed.

I went to my local CW during my lunch hour. Its been a while since I've been there. A year more more. It used to be that I could find all kind of replacement parts on the shelf, but no longer. There was more swag items than ever before. If I wanted fancy replacement light fixtures, I could find them. All kind of cool camping gadgets, but no replacement parts, at least on the shelves. I suppose the parts guy has something in stock, but I didn't have time to hang around and ask. Line was to long.

Hopefully I can figure out who the manufacture was, and I'll order a replacement online.

Thank you for the help.

Daryl

Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
bill-e

Why not just put a MaxxAir or similar cover on it. I leave my vent open year round under the MaxxAir II cover and had MaxAir's on my previous camper which I left always open.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
Why not just put a MaxxAir or similar cover on it. I leave my vent open year round under the MaxxAir II cover and had MaxAir's on my previous camper which I left always open.
I was thinking the same thing.

I finally had a chance to go up and look at the cover closer and get some gorilla tape on it. I was trying to figure out how to remove the cover and came to the realization that it might just be easier to put a MaxAir cover over it and be done with it.

Daryl

Old 08-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
busterbrown

Yep, Maxxair covers are easy to install. Drill 4 holes in the existing vent 'neck' and secure the screws, lock nuts, and washers. Takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:25 AM   #11
Propilot11

Quote:

I noticed that my sewer line vent cap is missing. Just a straight pipe sticking up. Does anyone know what size they are?. Is there a universal one? Do they press- on, thread, or glue?
Propilot11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:05 AM   #12
notanlines

All your RV stores offer a universal cap for about $5.00, press on and deteriorate in about 3 years.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, vent