Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Dave W

Why did I wait this long?

Last fall, I made a whopping expenditure, a dual action buffer-polisher from Harbor Freight then proceeded to not use it until now. Now, y'all gonna say --- junk. But with one of their sale prices and a 20% off coupon, $16 bucks is less then a 30 pack of my favorite sudsy adult beverages. Last Sunday I gave the 5er a decent wash job though it really wasn't too grimy. Today I loaded my TCP Global black final polish waffle buff pad on the machine, got out my bottle of Meguire's NXT and went to work. Just about an hour later, the entire curb side and back were done - all of it plus the slide ends, windows, 'J' bottom panels and fenders (I will admit that I still have a wee bit over the slide that couldn't be reached via step ladder). I did the nose cap about 6 weeks ago by the tried and proven (tiring!) hand method and that took longer then the part I did today - and that has DuPont Chromabase paint, not just Keystone's normal fading and porous colored gel coat. If the weather holds out, I'll do the road side tomorrow. If not, then next weekend.

Mumble, mumble - waited too long - grumble, mumble
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
bsmith0404

The DA is the only way to go. I have the full body paint on mine so I add a polish and paint seal every other year and wax on the in between years. This year was the paint seal year so I had about 25 hours into polishing and buffing. The wax years only takes about 2.5 hours to do the entire 40' beast. The 5er shines like a mirror. Would never dream of taking on this beast by hand.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:24 AM   #3
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
The DA is the only way to go. I have the full body paint on mine so I add a polish and paint seal every other year and wax on the in between years. This year was the paint seal year so I had about 25 hours into polishing and buffing. The wax years only takes about 2.5 hours to do the entire 40' beast. The 5er shines like a mirror. Would never dream of taking on this beast by hand.

About the only vehicle that I spend that much effort on is my '31 Ford street rod and that's not even seen the light of day this year with other major time eaters for the S&B plus 5er projects. Last year I used the Meguire's marine wax by hand and was not 100% proud of my efforts but it did last well. Going back to their NXT and the DAmade a big difference in the quality of the job. I may step up to their Ultimate next time but do have to remember that I don't have full body paint, just colored Filon
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:02 AM   #4
bsmith0404

I keep it stored inside so I only need to wax once per year, that makes the price I pay for storage worth every dime. Next year I'm going to buy a scaffolding which will make it much easier. No more up and down the ladder, just put all of my supplies up there and work my way down the side. That also will be worth every dime!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote