Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
Desert185

Oil Filters

Had to go to the big city yesterday and took advantage of the situation to stop by Cummins for a few oil filters for the shelf at home. The counter guy mentioned that it was good that I was buying Cummins Fleetguard filters, as they've been seeing aftermarket filter failures. He specifically mentioned Quaker State filters coming apart and clogging oil passages.

You folks who go to "Oil Change R Us" for oil changes instead of the dealer or reputable independent, bring your own filter so you don't suffer the effects of the cheapo filters...Fram included, BTW.

FWIW...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
kfxgreenie

Only Mopar or Fleetgaurd filters see my truck. These two go in next month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0804171220.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	13554  
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
zuley

Even though I sold the Mopar line of Filters I was always a fan of Fram for my own toys. The power of advertising I guess. A number of years back I went to one of our yearly wholesale conferences where big brother would bring in various suppliers to spew off before we were allowed to drink. Well, one year we had our filter manufacturer come in. He brought with him probably half a dozen of the competition filters cut open to show us the internal construction of each. For the most part the manufacturer filters, Mopar, Motorcraft, AC Delco etc are all made in the same plant with a different painted can. What I refer to as the aftermarket or jobber filters were certainly made to a lesser quality and standard than the OE filters. ie can thickness, valving, media thickness, etc. I was a young buck back then full of piss and vinegar and the next week took a box full of cut open filters around with me to my wholesale accounts. Within 6 weeks I was selling more of my OE Mopar filters in my territory than every one else combined. Have always maintained using a quality OE filter and an oil change every 5000 km is the cheapest insurance you can buy to keep an engine running and healthy. You want to save 4 bucks on an oil filter go ahead, you'll pay for it in the long run.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Nothing but Mopar or Fleet guard for my trucks and Mopar or Napa gold (Wix) for our cars for as long as I can remember. I picked up a couple of Frams for one of my Generacs ..... What a mess two quarts of oil makes when the filter ruptures. I can not imagine what three gallons of diesel oil would look like in the driveway. I would have to paint my pavers black. The spare Fram filter went in the trash, brand new in the box. If I could not afford a good filter and oil I would rather go a few thousand more miles until I could. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Nothing but Mopar or Fleet guard for my trucks and Mopar or Napa gold (Wix) for our cars for as long as I can remember. I picked up a couple of Frams for one of my Generacs ..... What a mess two quarts of oil makes when the filter ruptures. I can not imagine what three gallons of diesel oil would look like in the driveway. I would have to paint my pavers black. The spare Fram filter went in the trash, brand new in the box. If I could not afford a good filter and oil I would rather go a few thousand more miles until I could. JM2˘, Hank
Ditto. Napa Gold for the other vehicles.

For Cummins Fleetguard, there is a Stratapore and a non-Stratapore. The Stratapore has a synthetic media that is supposed to be superior for only a few bucks more. I think the Mopar is a non-Stratapore...and probably more expensive.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I run the motorcraft filter, and I run the PSD filter on my IDI as it adds 1 qt to capacity.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
Olsen29

I lost a good 383 circle track motor because of a Frame filter.
The internal collapsed and cut the oil flow, then spun a main bearing. I was able to machine the crank and put in a new set of bearings but I threw away all my Fram junk and use wix or Napa gold.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
the sodfather

I've had good luck with the K&N in the past. I really like the nut welded to the bottom for easier removal.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
CaptnJohn

Read recently on a Ford site about Fram. The light paper has been known to let loose and end up where it should never see.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
bsmith0404

For my duramax I use Baldwin oil filters, Napa Gold on the FASS system and Racor/AC Delco for the OE fuel filter. The Allison only gets the Allison spin on. Napa Gold or Wix for the oil on the other cars. The best part, all of these filters are at or near the top of the list for quality and filtering capabilities and they are all reasonably priced. I used to use Mobil 1 or K&N oil filters (same filter), but the caracteristics of the Baldwin and Napa Gold are similar/caparable for 1/2 the price.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
Banshee365

Oil filters are easy. OEM. Period. This could include Fleetguard for Cummins or Racor for Navistar Powerstrokes and such. But, personally, I don't care what your loyalty is to brands like NAPA or WIX, it's all crap in my mind. OEM or nothing. If you havn't had problems with an aftermarket filter that's fine. OEM filters are so easy because most of them are even right on the Wal-Mart shelf.
Banshee365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #12
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee365 View Post
Oil filters are easy. OEM. Period. This could include Fleetguard for Cummins or Racor for Navistar Powerstrokes and such. But, personally, I don't care what your loyalty is to brands like NAPA or WIX, it's all crap in my mind. OEM or nothing. If you havn't had problems with an aftermarket filter that's fine. OEM filters are so easy because most of them are even right on the Wal-Mart shelf.
I look at micron filter ratings and internal construction. Even many of the OEM filters are not great. They are built to meet minimum standards. Aftermarket companies such as Wix and Baldwin are in business because they designed and built a better widget, Fram is in business because they built a cheaper widget. Actually many filters are made by the same manufacturers and many built to the same specs. There is even such a thing as too good. Bosch ran into some problems at one point of having too small of a micron rating and would plug up on some vehicles causing other problems. There's a lot of great info on the net about filters and many comparison testing. Bobs the oil guy website always makes for good reading.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
I've had good luck with the K&N in the past. I really like the nut welded to the bottom for easier removal.
If you installed the spin on correctly, you should be able to remove by hand. Never need a wrench on one I installed.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #14
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
If you installed the spin on correctly, you should be able to remove by hand. Never need a wrench on one I installed.
I never needed one on gas motors, but I do need a wrench to remove them from all of the diesels I've changed. Not sure if it's extra heat sealing the rubber gasket better or what.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #15
gearhead

Bobistheoilguy.com is good reading for filters and oil.
I tried to always run Baldwin on 30,000 rpm Sundyne pumps at work.
Oem on the Grand Cherokee and Fleetguard on the Ram.
Wix on the Generac 20kw backup gen and Fram on nothing. Although the Ultraguard may be pressed into service on the lawn mower.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote