Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
scottz

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

Will there be any problems towing the Montana across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge? What is the toll? We may be traveling from the Washington area to Dover. One option is the bridge, the other is I-95 around the bay; a couple extra hours.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Movin' on

It has been a few years since I've crossed the Bay Bridge, but I wouldn't think you would have any trouble. It can get a little windy, but no more than I've seen before on I-70 in eastern Colorado. I did a search regarding the toll, and if I'm not mistaken, the toll would be about $12.00.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
K_N_L

If the winds are high they are quick to post restrictions. Only thing I will say having travelled it a few items is that the two tunnels are old, 2 lane and narrow. That said, it's a bit of a pucker factor when you see a semi or class A coming the other way in them.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:18 AM   #4
bagged123

I would personally take 95 and just deal with the time difference, those bridges are terrible. Though the bay bridge isn't that long as the bay bridge tunnel, and a nice ride actually to the bridge and once you're over the bridge, but still I'd take 95 to DE, though if you're around Washington, I'm a little surprised it's taking you over the Bay Bridge
bagged123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:54 AM   #5
canesfan

Taking 95 up and around and then Rt 1 back down to go to Dover is way out of the way. Also 95 in MD and DE is a toll road along with the Scott Key bridge around Baltimore (you CAN'T go through the tunnels in Baltimore with propane) and Rt 1 in DE and would cost you much more than the Bay Bridge if tolls haven't changed. Going North the bay bridge is 2 lanes, going South it's 3. South is more relaxing if you don't care for bridges and the right on the edge feeling because you can get in the middle lane if it's not closed. North you are right up against the guardrail and it is a pretty high bridge. That is unless anything has changed, it's been about 5 years now since I've been that way. As other said, avoid on a windy day, and they will post restrictions. Also, once in DE it's a nice 4 lane divided highway with little traffic and a pleasant drive. There's also a nice rest area along the way. If you don't mind long, high bridges I'd definitely take the bridge. They always seem to be working on it, but even with a lane closed I've never experienced a delay.

Another poster mentioned tunnels, I think they are confusing the Bridge Tunnel with the Bay Bridge. The Bridge Tunnel would be WAAAYYYYYYYY out of your way from DC to Dover. There are no tunnels on the Bay Bridge.

Toll should be $12 and you can check traffic and other stuff on their website
http://www.baybridge.maryland.gov/
Old 07-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

As long as you aren't afraid of bridges or heights you should be fine. Going I95N the bridge over the Susquehanna river is also high and subject to cross winds. Here's a few links that may help out. The tolls are per axle over 2 axles. Tolls - http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/Toll_Ra...dge_Rates.html
General info (weather, traffic, construction, etc.) - http://www.chart.state.md.us/default.asp
Enjoy your trip and safe travels!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As long as you aren't afraid of bridges or heights you should be fine. Going I95N the bridge over the Susquehanna river is also high and subject to cross winds. Here's a few links that may help out. The tolls are per axle over 2 axles. Tolls - http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/Toll_Ra...dge_Rates.html
General info (weather, traffic, construction, etc.) - http://www.chart.state.md.us/default.asp
Enjoy your trip and safe travels!
True, but it's a very wide bridge with multiple lanes and shoulders so you're not "hanging on the edge".

That said, the Scott Key bridge around Baltimore is also high and narrow and old. Forgot to mention that.

One other thing, the Bay Bridge has (or had) a program where you could call ahead and hire someone to drive you across the bridge if bridges bother you that much.

Here's a toll rate calculator for DE tolls https://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?co...licTollRateI95
Old 07-31-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
True, but it's a very wide bridge with multiple lanes and shoulders so you're not "hanging on the edge".

That said, the Scott Key bridge around Baltimore is also high and narrow and old. Forgot to mention that.

One other thing, the Bay Bridge has (or had) a program where you could call ahead and hire someone to drive you across the bridge if bridges bother you that much.

Here's a toll rate calculator for DE tolls https://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?co...licTollRateI95
I live in central Maryland and travel the Tydings Memorial Bridge every weekend to visit family in PA. The shoulders on the Millard E. Tydings Memorial Bridge (the I95 bridge over the Susquehanna River have about 2' of shoulder on each side https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-76.1060619
That's about a foot wider than the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...A4YQoioIpgEwEA
There is an alternative to the Key Bridge and that's to take the the opposite direction on I695 around the north od Baltimore but that's a traffic nightmare and much longer distance.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
scottz

Thanks for all the advice! No, I'm not scared of bridges or heights, just wanted to make sure there are no restrictions to surprise me. I had heard there might be a restriction on propane. This is the way the computer wants to route me; Woodbridge VA to Dover DE:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Woodbridge to Dover.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	13484  
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 AM   #10
canesfan

No propane restrictions on the Bay Bridge that I know of. At least not for RV's. Bridge Tunnel you have to stop and turn it off, Baltimore tunnels NO porpane period.

That route looks like the same one I took last time I went up there for a NASCAR race. It was either 300 or 302.

If you need or want to camp, there is a really nice CG just on the MD side of the MD/DE border in Greensboro/Goldsboro area. South of your route a little but not much out of the way and easy shot over to Dover. Highly recommended
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...!4d-75.7654953

Side note - 95 SUX all through there and 50 isn't that great either. Plan your travel times to get around DC around midday. AVOID mornings and evenings at all costs. Once you get over the Bay Bridge you can relax and enjoy.

Edit - The MD Rt 301 rest stop isn't too far before you get to Rt 300 if you need one
https://www.google.com/maps/search/r...9772684,12.75z
Old 07-31-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
Tbos

Scott,
Give yourself plenty of time on this trip. The I-95 corridor through northern VA is always a mess. The Beltway portion of it isn't as bad but the traffic is still very unpredictable. Travel safely.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #12
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Scott,
Give yourself plenty of time on this trip. The I-95 corridor through northern VA is always a mess. The Beltway portion of it isn't as bad but the traffic is still very unpredictable. Travel safely.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
x100 ^ . I edited my last post with some further info so you may want to read it again if you already had.

Also I would advise buying fuel in VA and DE and avoiding MD if you can.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #13
canesfan

One other thought and not sure where you're coming from before Woodbridge, but "usually" from around Fredericksburg VA North is where the traffic starts to become more of an issue, or finally starts to clear out some heading South.