Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Carlisle tires and Discount Tire

Called DT today to inquire about replacing my Trailer King Go Pops with Carlisle HD Radials. $125 per tire. So I asked the guy if they price matched. He said they did. I told him WM had them for $77 each. He balked a little, put me on hold and eventually the manager picked up. He said they couldn't/wouldn't match that price. His best was $98 each. I thanked him but said that was too much. I told him I really wanted to go with DT because of all the great things I read about them. So i asked if I bought them somewhere else would he mount them. Yes we will he told me $16 a tire with balance. So for $400 I'll have a new set of Carlisle' next week. I feel pretty good about the whole deal.

I hope this helps someone else to upgrade their rubber at a good deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Called DT today to inquire about replacing my Trailer King Go Pops with Carlisle HD Radials. $125 per tire. So I asked the guy if they price matched. He said they did. I told him WM had them for $77 each. He balked a little, put me on hold and eventually the manager picked up. He said they couldn't/wouldn't match that price. His best was $98 each. I thanked him but said that was too much. I told him I really wanted to go with DT because of all the great things I read about them. So i asked if I bought them somewhere else would he mount them. Yes we will he told me $16 a tire with balance. So for $400 I'll have a new set of Carlisle' next week. I feel pretty good about the whole deal.

$77 + 16= $93. $98 - 93 =$5 . $5X 5 tires = $25. Not worth a trip to Wally to haul tires to DT for me. If you have a problem where will you take it? But that is me. I've not set foot on Wally property in 35 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with the previous poster. I don't buy anything tire wise from Wally world. DT comes very close to their prices and I can drop in anywhere for "real" tire service....and they warrant their tires....with real tire folks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:16 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Interesting perspective and appreciated. Not bashing DT, just pointing out what happened. Someone in a previous thread on the forum got scalped on the mounting and balancing. I wanted to show that this was not always the case to give hope for someone putting off getting newer safer tires due to cost. The DT cost was without mounting and balancing and would have been $113 x5 = $565 -$465 = $100. That is worth it. At least to me.

I know some people love and some hate Walmart. I've been an employee with them both full time and now part time for 30 years. They've always treated me fairly and well. I have no complaints. Because of that I have a fair amount of loyalty to them.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 07-18-2017, 04:03 AM   #5
Javi

Another thing to remember about DT is that in many cases there is a rebate in the form of a pre-paid M/C VISA card and 6 to 12 months interest free money... When I bought my tires for the trailer it was 6 months free interest and a $50 VISA card...
Old 07-18-2017, 05:07 AM   #6
notanlines

Walmart is simply a fact of life. We have little choice where we shop in that we are on the road so often. We do put a stop at shopping for groceries usually. Walmart has the worst meat and produce. But it seems to me that if a company advertises price-matching they should be true to their word. And one more thing I've asked previously. When in your life have you ever used a tire warrantee?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:18 AM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Walmart is simply a fact of life. We have little choice where we shop in that we are on the road so often. We do put a stop at shopping for groceries usually. Walmart has the worst meat and produce. But it seems to me that if a company advertises price-matching they should be true to their word. And one more thing I've asked previously. When in your life have you ever used a tire warrantee?
Good question. Reality strikes...

I like DT and Walmart, BTW.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:

Good deal, but do you wonder how they can make them so cheaply?? Pulling a TH with a GVWR of 13,000# I would want the best tire I could buy.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
Bob Landry

You are not going to be much better of with the Carlisle's than you were with the original tires.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
66joej

Interesting that we are prompted to upgrade our TVs to the tune of several $1000s of dollars but looking to save $100 on a set of TT tires.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Interesting perspective and appreciated. Not bashing DT, just pointing out what happened. Someone in a previous thread on the forum got scalped on the mounting and balancing. I wanted to show that this was not always the case to give hope for someone putting off getting newer safer tires due to cost. The DT cost was without mounting and balancing and would have been $113 x5 = $565 -$465 = $100. That is worth it. At least to me.

I know some people love and some hate Walmart. I've been an employee with them both full time and now part time for 30 years. They've always treated me fairly and well. I have no complaints. Because of that I have a fair amount of loyalty to them.

I didn't mean to put down Walmart per se. I just don't use their tire service. My son in law did 2 times and both times had issues. DT may be higher in price than WM but they do have their warranties, they are nearly everywhere I go (or at least on the way) and are very knowledgeable about most aspects of any tire; the same can't be said for a Walmart tire shop. Other than that we love Walmart, and trying to point out ways for folks to save money trying to get a new set of trailer tires is a good thing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Interesting that we are prompted to upgrade our TVs to the tune of several $1000s of dollars but looking to save $100 on a set of TT tires.
Well right or wrong my thinking was I'm buying the same thing, having them mounted and balanced by professionals, and saving $100 is a win/win. WM gets money. DT gets money. I save money. I get a new set of forum recommended/preferred tires I saw no reason to give DT an extra $100 for no good reason. I'm a nice guy and will help anyone I can, but I'm not that nice. We have lots of threads and posts recommending doing the same thing.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 07-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
notanlines

Bob, maybe expound a little on your comment. I don't run Carlisles, but they are well thought of on this forum. Give us a little info to support the opinion.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
bsmith0404

I don't see any problem with what you did. It saved you a few bucks and you should have gotten the same tire. Although I have heard rumors (maybe CW can chime in on this) that some tire manufacturers have different standards for the same tire sold to different distributors/retailers. Is it possible that the Walmart version of the Carlisle tire has a different spec than the DT version?

I think you may be able to purchase DT tire replacement certificates when you get them mounted...not sure on that, but seems that I heard it somewhere before.

As for tire warranties, I've used the mileage warranty before and got a prorated price. I've also used the tire replacement certificates from DT.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
busterbrown

When I purchased Carlisles earlier this year, my local DT matched the Walmart pricing but the tires were from older stock, at about a year old. DT called around to other warehouses and couldn't find a set with a much newer DOT "born-on" date.

I moved on to Walmart and blindly ordered a set off their website. Similar to DT, the tires were shipped to a local store and the DOT date was 11 months out. I refused that set.

My next coarse of action was to have a set shipped to my door from Amazon. Surprise surprise! Tires were 3 months old, all with the same DOT date.

I did spend more on mounting and balancing as my issue was finding a tire shop that still has the proper equipment to "lug-centric" balance the tires on the wheels. DT, Wallyworlds, and others only had hub-centric balancers and no longer had the lug attachments.

I finally found a regional Belle Tire store that charged me a bit more. My spare is a new Carlisle too if I ever am in need of it.

My Carlisles will be replaced in 3 years/3 seasons no matter the condition, anyways.

As far as different standards for different retailers, I highly doubt that would ever fly.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #16
bsmith0404

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-same-9890716/

Interesting article from popular mechanics. This goes along with something I was told before and the reason I questioned the same quality

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #17
Bolo4u

In a different thread I shared a similar situation. My regular tire shop wanted $725 for 5 Carlisle HD tires, mounted and off I go. I told him Walmart had the same tires for $77 each, shipped. He told me to get them, and he'd install for $25 each. I saved about $200 doing it this way. The tires were date coded the last week 2016. According to the tire shop, the tires are the exact same coding they would get, so there is no difference for Walmart vs. DT, vs. Tony's Tire Emporium.

Also, the tires still had the shipper invoice to Walmart, which, when my tire shop saw that, he was pissed.... its the SAME EXACT WHOLESALER he uses, and spends thousands with each week buying tires from. He said his cost from the wholesaler is more than the retail price at Walmart. He later told me he made a few phone calls and their reply was uhhhh but uhhhh hmmmm uhhh....

So far, they have worked flawlessly for over the thousand or so miles I've put on them in the last 8 or so days. Using a TPMS, and none of the tires has fluctuated more than a few pounds pressure or few degrees temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #18
scottz

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
When in your life have you ever used a tire warrantee?
My previous trailer had tires purchased from DT. In the span of about six years, they replaced two of them at no charge because I had purchased the replacement certificates. Both were ruined by bad axle alignment, but they replaced them anyway. I'm a fan of Discount Tire, Big O and/or Les Schwab; chains that specialize in tires and can provide service in many locations. I shop at WM for other things but don't want them working on my rigs.

I never cut corners on tires; too much riding on them to worry about a few bucks.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #19
gearhead

I ran the Maxxis' for almost 4 years and replaced with Carlisle HD. I looked the tire up on WalMart.com and printed it with the $77 price. Call DT to confirm they would match. They did. You can look on the DT website to see how many of what tire each store has. I knew they had it when I left home. They weren't as new as they promised though. When you give the sales folk your phone number they look up your customer history. They know how much you have spent with them.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #20
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I don't see any problem with what you did. It saved you a few bucks and you should have gotten the same tire. Although I have heard rumors (maybe CW can chime in on this) that some tire manufacturers have different standards for the same tire sold to different distributors/retailers. Is it possible that the Walmart version of the Carlisle tire has a different spec than the DT version?
I've heard those same rumors. Same brand, possibly even same (or very similar) model numbers, but "specially mfg for Walmart"
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires