Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
evanhix

Sailun Tires?

I have been scouring previous post for info on tires and have frankly been overwhelmed by all of the content within the forum. I am looking to narrow down some info to help me decide what tires to upgrade to. In short, I have a Carbon 357 that has the factory ST235/80/16E Trailer King tires. We are going on a 2000 mile trip this summer and I want to upgrade to G rated tires before I have a blowout. I have been considering Sailun G rated tires in the same size. These are 14 ply 110psi. I did confirm that the rims are rated for the increased PSI.

My questions are, first, how good are these tires? What info I have found seems to all be very positive and affordably priced. I know these are made in China but they seem to be an exception to the normal "bombs"

Second is, there doesn't seem to be and distributorship in Southern CA where I live but I can get 5 delivered from Simpletire.com for $737 or $141each plus shipping. Is this a good price? Has anyone heard of Simpletire.com? My local tire shops sell G rated tire from Gladiator and Roadmaster both of which I have never heard of either.

Thanks for any info, Evan
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
busterbrown

If you were willing to go up one size in aspect ratio, there are some deals to be had on Carlisle Radial Trail HD's in size 235 85 16 (LRF) in which the outer diameter would only increase by 0.9 inches. Per Carlisle's website, the specs on an LRF (6H04651) tire would increase each tire to 3960 lbs at 95 PSI. The OEM Trailer Kings are only rated at 3520 lbs each @ 80 PSI in LRE.

The Sailun S637's are a higher rated tire at 4080 lbs (in the OEM size) but tire pressures increase to 110 lbs.

The newer Radial Trail HDs have a good reputation and can be purchased at a significantly lower price point (with free delivery) off Amazon.com. Just a thought.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
notanlines

Evan, I can only speak of the Sailuns you mention, not the other two good brands. We had the Sailuns installed in Florida at Tire Kingdom for $717.00 including balance. We have since towed about 25,000 miles and the tires look to be about 15% worn. Another two years and we will replace them with the same brand. Maxxis and Carlisle are two of the other brands. Goodyear has a new tire on the market, but no one can brag on it yet because it is too new. As near as I know these three brands get the most coverage on this site.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
gearhead

If you're sure the wheels are rated for them, I would buying the Sailuns.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

""Second is, there doesn't seem to be and distributorship in Southern CA where I live but I can get 5 delivered from Simpletire.com for $737 or $141each plus shipping. Is this a good price? Has anyone heard of Simpletire.com? My local tire shops sell G rated tire from Gladiator and Roadmaster both of which I have never heard of either.""

You might contact TBC Brands, at the link below to see if they can give you any dealer info on the Sailuns.

http://www.tbcbrands.com/

I don't have experience with them but can attest to the favorable comments made about them on this and other sites. I can also say that my experience with Carlisle HD tires has been very positive.

Personally, I would steer clear of Gladiator and Roadmaster trailer tires; #1 I have never heard of them, #2 I suspect they are like my local dealers and are just some "trailer" tire to throw on your flatbed etc. When placing a tire on a travel trailer I think you need to expect a lot more than just "some" trailer tire.

Lastly I would do a little due diligence before dealing with simpletire.com. I've not heard of them and they're probably a great company, but I would still investigate before I bought them. Others on here will tell you if that is a good price or not. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
Tom N OH

You might also check with www.trailertiresandwheels.com. They are 5 miles away from me, in Edon, OH. A small, American owned company in small town America. I haven't dealt with them yet, but when I'm ready to make the upgrade, they will be my first call. I have no affiliation with them, but lots of people on here have dealt with them & have been satisfied.

2017 F350 CC LB SRW 6.7
2015 Montana HC 305RL
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
captcolour

I just bought my Sailuns from SimpleTire without issue. I believe they arrived in just 2 days or so. They won't ship in a box, just the tire with the shipping label.

I just pulled 2,800 miles round trip to Colorado with them and no issues. 5er pulled great.

Keep in mind that the Sailuns are recommended for a 6.5" width wheel. You probably have 6". I upgraded my wheels too to the recommended width to get the best setup possible.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
evanhix

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I just bought my Sailuns from SimpleTire without issue. I believe they arrived in just 2 days or so. They won't ship in a box, just the tire with the shipping label.

I just pulled 2,800 miles round trip to Colorado with them and no issues. 5er pulled great.

Keep in mind that the Sailuns are recommended for a 6.5" width wheel. You probably have 6". I upgraded my wheels too to the recommended width to get the best setup possible.
I'm glad you mentioned the rim width. I overlooked that important piece. Is it not a good idea to mount on 6"?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
captcolour

They recommend 6.5" width. If pushed, they will say a width range of 6" to 7". When I pushed further about if you can't do 6.5, is 6 or 7 better, and they said 7. With that info, I opted to bite the bullet and buy 6.5" wheels.

Here's the thread with all I purchased and where:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28793
Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #10
CaptnJohn

I'm about to upgrade OEM tires on my Montana. Going from LR E to the Carlisle LR F. The wheels are rated to 110 but feel both are great tires and Carlisle are about $40 each less.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
CWtheMan

Tire retailers do not stress the importance of wheel/rim sizes. Most are familiar with wheel/rims that have a width range. Many of the newer tires are specifically manufactured for a single rim width appropriate for that particular tire. Most all steel cased tires have such fitment specifications.

The following statement is from a RMA PDF file (page 42) and is recommended reading. Chapter #4 is for RV applications and has a nice chart for using scales to verify your trailer's actual weights.

"Tires should only be mounted on approved rim widths (for more information, refer to tire manufacturer product literature for rim width specifications)."

http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...ete-manual.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #12
evanhix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Tire retailers do not stress the importance of wheel/rim sizes. Most are familiar with wheel/rims that have a width range. Many of the newer tires are specifically manufactured for a single rim width appropriate for that particular tire. Most all steel cased tires have such fitment specifications.

The following statement is from a RMA PDF file (page 42) and is recommended reading. Chapter #4 is for RV applications and has a nice chart for using scales to verify your trailer's actual weights.

"Tires should only be mounted on approved rim widths (for more information, refer to tire manufacturer product literature for rim width specifications)."

http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...ete-manual.pdf

Thank you for the resource. I did call both, the rim manufacturer and tire manufacturer and they both confirmed that the tires can be mounted safely on a 6" rim because it is only a difference of a 1/4" on each side. The other option is to go up one size to the Carlisle 285/85 to get the heavier ply but I called keystone and they do not recommend increasing size even though it is only a difference of 1" in diameter. I definitely want to go with a heavier ply now I'm torn between which option to go with since both options are out of factory spec.

The frustrating part is that Keystone would even install such low quality tires on their trailers. I would have gladly paid a little more on the new purchase price to have quality tires from the start. Now I'm stuck replacing 5 tires with only 600 miles on them.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #13
gearhead

Have you weighed the trailer? Do that, each axle separately is best, and calculate how much reserve load capacity you have with the OEM tires. If you think it is good with the trailer fully loaded, just upgrade brand in the same size.
If you want/need to increase capacity, it's your call if you're running LR "G" on skinny wheels and it worries you. If it does, and it would me, but I was a professional "what if" guy, buy new wheels.
You should be able to sell the China bombs to get some of your money back. I think I got $50 each both times I did it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
bobbecky

Our 2012 Montana came with the Goodyear Marathons, and at the time I purchased the trailer, I was not aware of the problem with these light tires on a heavy rig. I had seen in the brochure that the G614's were available as an option, but this rig was on the dealer's lot. In less than a year, we had 5 tires fail, no blowouts, but severe ply separation needing replacement. The wheels on this rig are 6 inch wide, and from the factory, both tires would be mounted on them, even though the ideal width for the G614's is listed as 6.5 inches. After about 40,000 miles, the half inch difference has not proved to be a problem.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #15
kimbashaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
You might also check with www.trailertiresandwheels.com. They are 5 miles away from me, in Edon, OH. A small, American owned company in small town America. I haven't dealt with them yet, but when I'm ready to of people on here have dealt with them & have been satisfied.

I just purchased 5 tires and rims from them. Delivered fast. Responsive to my questions and satisfied. I upgraded both tires and rims for the Sailuns but it cost me $300 per tire and wheel delivered.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Many people have had good results with Sailun tires. I considered them, but personally prefer to stick with a brand that I can find easily in stock while traveling. I prefer to use Discount Tire so I checke to see what they carry. Initially I upgraded to Carlisle LRF tires, now I've decided to try out their Hartland LRG tires. So far I'm impressed/happy with them, but don't have enough miles to give a true rating. But the fact that they seem to be carried in stock at just about every location and the fact that I carry 2 spares, makes me feel pretty good.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #17
evanhix

Does anyone know the speed rating on said Sailun tires? I can't seem to find it on the spec list.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #18
busterbrown

Speed rating L

https://www.tires-easy.com/235-80-16...recode/5541960
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #19
captcolour

Yes L, 75 mph
Old 07-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #20
evanhix

Okay, So I just purchased 5 and went to have Americas Tires install and realized that they don't have valve stems rated for 110 psi. I went around to all the tire shops, Napa, etc in my area and no one carries them.

Where can I find or order the correct high pressure valve stems?

Also, since these tires are in excess of the load capacity that I need, can I run at slightly lower pressure? Maybe 100 psi? Or is this not recommended? I certainly don't want to damage a new set of tires.

Btw these are some seriously beefy tires. I couldn't believe how heavy and solid these feel.

Tags
tires