Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
Arcticbouncer

Cracks in front cap

So I just finished washing our Bullet Premiere and was waxing the front cap when I noticed cracks in the gel coat around both lower headlights on the cap and also around the upper clearance lights ( I know where r the pictures they r coming ) . Anyone else dealing with cracks ? The unit is a 2015 and the cracks are all where there is a tight radius or recessed area. I am getting it in to the dealer but I just wanted to see if this is a freak or if anyone else has cracks ? I will get some pics up ASAP. Thanks
Arcticbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
Brian T

Front Cap

We have a 2015 Laredo 320TG and I did notice small cracks around the top marker lights as well as areas where the cap is starting to fade. Haven't got it into to dealer yet. Would rather use the trailer while we can still camp, than have it sit in there lot. Will definitely be getting it noted so it can be covered under warranty. Besides that so far the trailer has been excellent and we are very happy with it.

2015 Chevy 2500 HD
2015 Laredo 320TG

Previous -
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500
1984 Fleetwood Prowler
1995 Starcraft Tent Camper
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Dooley64

I also have a Bullet Premier 2014. I had the front cap replaced already because of cracks. Now I have a board on the roof coming up under the rubber and also the fiberglass back cap in curling at the top.. It curls because there is nothing behind the top of it. Waiting to see if Keystone covers it.
Also frame rusting real bad at front. But love everything else. The dealer fixed
about 7 things now. Also cant open bedroom window to much or window comes off track, happen 4 time now. Showed dealer and he tried other trailer on the lot and all 3 did the same.. I bring a drill and pop rivets with me now..
Dooley64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
Mynticelx

Yes. This is a known issue and appears to be seen throughout numerous models from Keystone. I am currently out of warranty and have been working through my dealer to discuss having Keystone cover it. They have indicated that they've had 9 of them come back just this summer because of this. Based on the actions of my dealer and/or Keystone - I expect it to be resolved. If not, I do anticipate that a potential class-action suit could be discussed among owners who have experienced this. It is well documented through Keystone that they had both a bad batch of suppliers and paint when making 2014-2015 models. I do feel that threads like this one can assist if providing necessary recalls with Keystone if they are not willing to cover the expenses of repair.
Mynticelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
carwheel_09

Cracks in front cap

I take my Montana back to the dealership in a week for the same problem. Really upsetting to buy a new rig and in less than a year this happens. From what they have told me it's back to Goshen. It's a pain to empty everything out of it for the service center to work on it. Guess it's better than having your belongings damaged. I'd like to see how they do this type of repair.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
smokeater

Arcticbouncer........waiting for the pics......
smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:38 AM   #7
Mynticelx

Here are some of the pics of my rig issues. I just got a call yesterday that Keystone is willing to pay for a portion of the repair - but not the entire repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rose34BHPR_Page_1.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	9346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rose34BHPR_Page_2.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	9347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rose34BHPR_Page_6.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	9348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rose34BHPR_Page_4.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	9349  
Old 09-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynticelx View Post
Here are some of the pics of my rig issues. I just got a call yesterday that Keystone is willing to pay for a portion of the repair - but not the entire repair.
Curious what portion they are willing to cover. The fading of the gel coat or the cracks. Wonder what they are taking responsibility for. I would almost hazard a guess they are willing to cover the cracks, but the fading of the gel coat is your fault since you did not care for it like you should of(not my words, theirs).
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
Pull Toy

Just think... If we had yachts (not land-yachts) that sank in less than two years, the COAST GUARD would be all over it!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #10
Mynticelx

In talking with my dealer, Keystone has agreed to repair the paint and coating - but not the cracks. I would have thought it was the other way as well..
Old 09-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
sw342
Permanent User Ban

when presented with two options they probably chose the one that is cheapest to repair and is less likely to re-occur. They finally have figured out to paint the caps and make it last unlike the rest of us who are left hung out to dry. They probably figured the crack repair is more expensive and might not know what is causing it, therefore not wanting to be on the hook should it start cracking again. Make sure everything is done right and up to your standards because this very well could be the last help you will ever get from Keystone regarding these problems and you will be on your own.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #12
Knight rider

cracks in rear fiberglass cap

We have a 2015 Montana 3402. We have spider cracks down the whole back right side and along the top and bottom of the rear window. We had the service center look at it and said they would get with Keystone to see they would cover replacement or repair. Of course warranty is up.

We have only used it three times and all highway traveling and no rough roads or pot holes. Has anyone else had this problem?

Just heard from the service center, Keystone won't cover the repair of the cracks or the awning rope light that has warped. So trying to figure out where to go from here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Knight rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Knight rider,
You may strike out with Keystone on the end cap spider cracks. Possibly your dealer can resubmit the claim with additional information and get a better result???

As for the Awning. After the "Keystone 1 year warranty" there is an additional warranty from the manufacturer on many products installed in your RV. If the awning is a Dometic A&E 8500 or 9000, the warranty is 3 years for parts and 2 years for labor and covers manufacturer's defects with some of the components but not all of them. You may want to contact Dometic directly to see if you're covered.

Pretty much, Keystone stops honoring the "remainder of the warranty" once the first year has passed and it's up to your dealer or you to contact the manufacturer of that component.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:34 AM   #14
mosquitoman

I had a Fun Finder a few years ago that also cracked, They replaced it, no questions after I said that I wouldn't accept simply repairing it. With that said when I got home with it and looked it over a couple of days later I found different cracks. We used it for the summer, they replaced the cap again and game me another year warranty in writing. I will be closely watching my 2016 2200rbwe for this condition.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
Arcticbouncer

Still working on the fix. Talked to the dealer again today so far keystone wanted to rep ain't the cap but would not do anything as far as a extended warranty so they came around and decided to replace the cap. Now the problem is getting a cap delivered without it being damaged in transport, 2 have been delivered and returned and a third one was scheduled to be here on or about the 12th but still have not seen it. This is a huge pain but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Will update with good news hopefully. Hoping everybody has safe travels and fun this season!!
Arcticbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
dieselman959

2017 Laredo 288 cracks

I own a brand new(less than 5 mos) Laredo 288. Found overspray, sanding swirl marks, and cracks at top apex of cap near marker lights. It has definitely been previously repaired. Will be contacting Keystone in am, selling dealer has not returned my phone calls or email yet.
dieselman959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #17
dieselman959

I purchase a new Keystone Laredo 288 on March 25th of this year 2017, the first week of August while cleaning the bugs off the front of my rig from a recent trip, I found cracks on the upper radius Corners near the marker lights on one side and after further inspection found overspray, sanding marks, dimples from where they didn't put enough body filler to repair the damage on the other side next to the marker light. This unit was sold to me as new. Damage was not disclosed at time of sale. Contacted Keystone area sales representative and he admitted that there is a file on each RV with damage that is repaired before leaving the factory. Dealer contact at Keystone and Keystone has agreed to have an outside vendor fiberglass repair shop do the work to totally repair the fiberglass and repaint to match. As for the legal aspect of the transaction that took place when they sold me a new RV with undisclosed damage that has been repaired by the factory, this constitutes fraud and a blatant misrepresentation of what a new RV is.
dieselman959 is offline   Reply With Quote