Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
ray6501

Passport 2400BH Slideout

Is it common fot the slideout to chatter a little when retracting ! The trailer is perfectly level and they adjusted the cables at the dealership last week. But it chatters a little until it is about 1/2 way.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
ray6501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

They all make a little bit of noise, but the fact that it changes half way makes me think there is something on the cable or on the track. I'd do some snooping around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

The shift in noise is probably due to the "tipping point" of the side. Almost sounds to me like the bottom cables aren't adjusted right.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
mskeyspirate

Slide jumping

I hate to discourage you, but my slide has been jumping when pulling in, or out for the entire summer. I've had it to two different service centers for repair/adjustment. The first told me that they have no idea...number two charged me $250.00, told me it was fixed. Still jumping, I think that this is a keystone issue that they should fix. My extended warranty won't touch slide adjustments. Looking to sell my Passport asap !
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

A number of members of the forum have reported "shuddering" or "jumping" slides both during extension and retraction. Almost all of them have been attributed to using the "wrong" type of lubricant/conditioner on the slide seals. Nearly every one who has reported the problem and has later cleaned the seals completely and either used a specific "dry lubricant" or talcum powder has reported that their slides now operate properly.

You can do a quick forum search and find quite a bit of information confirming the problem and the solution. Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
mskeyspirate

Lubricant

I lube the slide and cables with only approved slide and cable products. This has made NO difference in the working of my slide. I now have a Keystone Passport 2400 BH for sale. Anyone want to make my problems, their problems ?
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:23 AM   #7
busterbrown

Try applying a liberal coating of baby power (or talc) to the bottom of the entire side, the exterior material that makes contact with the seal plate. Wipe it on with a clean cloth. This was the fix to both my slides violently shuttering after I wrongfully applied a UV protectant. "Smooth as butter" comes to mind now as I retract and extend.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
mtofell

Every slide in every RV I've owned shudders, screeches, vibrates and shakes and I move it in and out. EVERY time I move one, thoughts of the cheap parts and poor workmanship race through my mind. As of yet, I've never had a failure of any kind. I'm on my 4th RV with slides and have hundreds of ins/outs and am keeping my fingers crossed.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 AM   #9
xrated

I've got an Impact 303 with a sofa slide and a stove/refrigerator slide. The cable adjustment was not "locked down" when I bought the T.H. new and by the time I drove home with it and tried the slides again, I was experiencing the same issues. I researched and downloaded the maint./adjustment manual (16 pages if I remember correctly) and began the adjustment procedure on mine......I wasn't about to tow it 375 miles back to the dealer. Once adjusted correctly, I added some "lock nuts" to the adjustment eye bolts and locked the correct adjustment down so that it couldn't change or vibrate out of adjustment. I've been happily using it now and have zero issues with any kind of noise or vibration from it.

The cable system is a "give and take" type system and if improperly adjusted, the cables that are pulling the slide out, will be fighting the cables that pull the slide in......and vice versa. Properly adjusted cables will go a long way to making the slides work correctly. I'll link my post, if I can find it, and you can see the link to the adjustment manual....

Here is the link to my thread about adjusting it. And in post #4, towards the bottom of the post is the link to download the adjustment/maint. manual for the cable operated slides......

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=26924
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2400bh, passport, slide, slideout