Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
Hapycmpr

Cable/Winegard wall plate issue

Here is my issue, cannot scan and get any channels while connected to campground cable. Long story shorter, with a tester, i get a clean line from the exterior connector all the way the the wall plate. I tested all cables separately and connected, from the outside to the jumper connector to the wall plate. The issue is when I connect the cable the the plate, the tester shows a short. I bought a new wall plate thinking the original one may have been defective, new one still indicates a short. I tested while the amplifier was off. The booster works and I get local channels fine through the antenna.
Thanks for looking,
Mark
Hapycmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok, let's take this one step at a time.

Using the coax tester, check from the exterior to the other end, DISCONNECTED from the booster. Then look at the back of the booster and make sure the coax is in the correct input. Most coax testers won't test through any type of splitter and the booster is a splitter.

No need to test coax from booster to TV as you get OTA signal. When you scan for channels are you choosing "CABLE" and not antenna? And the booster is OFF?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Javi

Just in case... http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2451490.pdf
Old 08-07-2017, 01:53 AM   #4
Hapycmpr

I used the tester to check the coax from exterior to where it enters through the ceiling, it checks fine. I tested the other 2 cables, the little jumper, and the one the goes from the jumper plate to the booster. checked them separately andl connected up to the booster and all checks fine. I didn't know it wouldn't test through a splitter.
there was one connector that was loose and I replaced it.
This is all after I had the camper at the dealer and they claimed to have replaced the coax from the exterior connector through to the ceiling.
I now will have to wait until I camp at a park with cable to test.
Thanks for your quick replies.
Hapycmpr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable