Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2024, 09:43 AM   #1
PolarisCobra

Ranier Tires

I have a 2017 Bullet 242BHS that I bought last summer. Tires are getting thin, going to need new ones before any trips in the spring. The trailer came with 5 if these on it (including spare), so I am thinking they are the OEM tires, but have no way to be sure.

https://trailersetgo.com/store/raini...l-trailer-tire

Looks like they are made by Goodyear, have not seen much info (good or bad) about them on line. Any thoughts about getting another set of these? From what I can tell, they have held up well.

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2018 Bullet 272 BHS
PolarisCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:54 AM   #2
jsb5717

Rainier Tires have a fairly poor reputation. They came as OEM's on several trailer models for several years. Many failures reported. Rainiers were on our 5er when we bought it. We swapped them out for Sailun Tires.

In the smaller tires that would fit your rig Goodyear Endurance, Carlisle, Cooper all have good reputations. There are others. Just do your research first. If you check here before purchase someone will have intel for you.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:33 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

My trailer came with OE Ranier tires. Due to their poor reputation I had them replaced with Sailuns before I ever picked it up (new). In your case if those are OE tires (it sounds like they are) you are on borrowed time. 1) they are Raniers and 2) they are 7 years old.... ST tires age out vs "wearing out" so waiting for the tread to get thin is waiting for an unhappy event.

In that size I would go with either the Carlisle Radial Trail HD or a Goodyear Endurance. I have owned the Carlisles and have nothing but good to say about them. The Endurance also seem to have a very good record. Both are available from Discount Tire and other places. As a note, the Endurance tires are always priced much higher than the competitors so don't know that you get as much "bang for the buck" as you should.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:04 AM   #4
PolarisCobra

Will be installing new ones before any trips in the spring. Just thinking about which way to go in the spring. Looks like Carlisle or Goodyear are the options.

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2018 Bullet 272 BHS
Old 01-24-2024, 11:49 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

We had Trailer Kings from the factory and never had an issue, but when they hit 3-4 years old we swapped them out for Goodyear Endurance tires. We typically put 10-15,000 miles per year on the trailer, and the Goodyear's have performed very well for us.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 03:11 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

The dires will have a "born on" date of mfg molded into the sidewall. Look for an oval with 4 digits, 2 are the the last 2 digits of the year and 2 are the week of the year. I also are on my second set of Carlisle tires and have been very satisfied with them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 03:39 PM   #7
jxnbbl

Ranier = crap

Here is the link to my saga. We tend to tow long distances and I could not believe the wear on these tires. The Carlisles that we put on have more than double the mileage and hardly any wear. Additionally I now carry two spares.

LINK
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:13 AM   #8
Mikendebbie

I replaced my OEM Rainiers after 3 years with Saliuns. I noticed “crazing” or cracking on the sidewalls and was motivated to replace them.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 07:09 PM   #9
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisCobra View Post
Will be installing new ones before any trips in the spring. Just thinking about which way to go in the spring. Looks like Carlisle or Goodyear are the options.
Those two are good makes. Rainiers are not worth the risk for me. Blowouts can be major damage.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:15 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Seems Walmart has pretty good pricing on Carlisle Radial Trail HD which is all I will run on my campers (I do have 15" rims):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlstar-...4?from=/search
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 04:38 AM   #11
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Seems Walmart has pretty good pricing on Carlisle Radial Trail HD which is all I will run on my campers (I do have 15" rims):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlstar-...4?from=/search
Wouldn't he want the D rated for this trailer? George put me on the path to the Carlisle tire (from back in the thread I posted) and I'd give them a 2 thumbs up. We have pulled the trailer from NH to Disney and then NH to Nashville since their install and they literally have no noticeable wear.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:23 AM   #12
PolarisCobra

I think mine are load range D, I will check I know the recommended (and max) inflation is 65 PSI, which I think the load range D tires are.

Will confirm in the spring when it's time to uncover the camper and start to get ready for some trips.

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2018 Bullet 272 BHS
Old 01-26-2024, 06:58 AM   #13
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
...We have pulled the trailer from NH to Disney and then NH to Nashville since their install and they literally have no noticeable wear.
This is good to keep in mind. Most trailer tires will need to be changed for new ones FAR before they wear out. They will age out before they will wear out. 5 years is a good measuring stick. After 5 years of use it's a good idea to replace them to avoid side wall cracking or separation. Quite often the damage is internal so the tires look fine. But then, without warning, they blow. And when that happens there's usually damage to the trailer.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:33 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Wouldn't he want the D rated for this trailer? George put me on the path to the Carlisle tire (from back in the thread I posted) and I'd give them a 2 thumbs up. We have pulled the trailer from NH to Disney and then NH to Nashville since their install and they literally have no noticeable wear.
You are correct. He needs the 205 75R14 LRD tires to replace the LRD tires currently on his trailer. They are at this "walmart link": https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlstar-...e&athbdg=L1600

Current WalMart pricing is $82.89 per tire. Discount Tire and many other tire dealerships will price match to gain the sale. It pays to shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
This is good to keep in mind. Most trailer tires will need to be changed for new ones FAR before they wear out. They will age out before they will wear out. 5 years is a good measuring stick. After 5 years of use it's a good idea to replace them to avoid side wall cracking or separation. Quite often the damage is internal so the tires look fine. But then, without warning, they blow. And when that happens there's usually damage to the trailer.
Often times it doesn't take the full 5 years before sidewall cracking and tread separation starts to occur and, as you posted, often the damage is internal and you can't see it until you remove the tire from the wheel or until it goes "BOOM" while towing....

Here's the "often posted photos" of my OEM tires from a few years ago. Lots of thread remaining, no sidewall issues, but just check the "big bubbles inside the tires. THIS IS TREAD SEPARATION just waiting for the critical moment to destroy the tire and possibly the entire trailer wheelwell/sidewall.

For "clarity" my tires were not Ranier, but tread separation can cause the same damage on any ST tire, regardless of brand. With the Ranier "reputation and problems seen on many internet forum sites, I'd opt for a tire with a better reputation. I currently use Carlisle Radial Trail HD on 5 trailers and in the past 8-10 years have not had a tire problem on every trailer I own, from boat trailers to flatbed trailers to the fifth wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	46086   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	46087   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	19