Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2023, 07:59 AM   #1
YesImLost

Fitting larger tires/wheels on a Springdale 202R

Hi Everyone, I have a problem with getting my trailer across sand even at low psi. The little narrow tires just sink to the hubs immediately.
Anyone try fitting larger tires/wheels and what do you recommend? Not so interested in traction, but max floatation. Wider the better!
YesImLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:45 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesImLost View Post
Hi Everyone, I have a problem with getting my trailer across sand even at low psi. The little narrow tires just sink to the hubs immediately.
Anyone try fitting larger tires/wheels and what do you recommend? Not so interested in traction, but max floatation. Wider the better!
On many campers larger tires will rub/scrape over bumps so most folks will continue to use the same dimension tires as came stock on the camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:26 AM   #3
YesImLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
On many campers larger tires will rub/scrape over bumps so most folks will continue to use the same dimension tires as came stock on the camper.
Not an issue on this model because the axles come "flipped" on the underside of the springs, and there's no inner fender well. I have more clearance around the wheels than between them! From what I've measured, will easily fit a wheel/tire combo that is up to 5" larger in diameter and a few inches wider (the most important for me). Mostly curious if anyone has tried this and if any issues.
Looks like the only possible concern could be clearance between tire, springs, and frame, but assuming I'll need wheels anyway that can be fixed with offset (which gives me concerns about bearings since they are mysteriously bad on trailers).
Old 06-28-2023, 11:58 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

This is likely not what you want to hear, but I'll put it out there. There are trailer specifically built for off roading, yours is not. Modifying wheel size and offset is not a good idea imo. Engineers have spent the time and resources to design a frame and suspension system to safely and reliably carry the specified weight of the trailer. The design is intended to be used on roads. Soft sand is not part of the equation.

The other considerations for the system are what the ramifications of the extreme abrasion from sand will have. The spring shackles, the bolts and sleeves they fit into, the electric brakes, the hitch, etc. isn't intended for that environment. As always this is just my opinion, YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 03:16 PM   #5
YesImLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This is likely not what you want to hear, but I'll put it out there. There are trailer specifically built for off roading, yours is not. Modifying wheel size and offset is not a good idea imo. Engineers have spent the time and resources to design a frame and suspension system to safely and reliably carry the specified weight of the trailer. The design is intended to be used on roads. Soft sand is not part of the equation.

The other considerations for the system are what the ramifications of the extreme abrasion from sand will have. The spring shackles, the bolts and sleeves they fit into, the electric brakes, the hitch, etc. isn't intended for that environment. As always this is just my opinion, YMMV.
Yep, 100% agree this is NOT an overland trailer - nor am I trying to build one. Also fully understand sand is no joke - breaking stuff and excessive wear is not just a possibility, it's EXPECTED. Did I mention salt water? Oh yeah, that's bad too!!
So yeah, you are correct, but camping on the beach is not unusual.
As for the engineering that goes into these things (all brands, not just Keystone), they use the the cheapest off-the-shelf parts they can source that are not purpose-built for this application. I could probably find the exact same part numbers installed on a flatbed and a boat trailer too. Most important is that the parts themselves are designed to carry the load safely - and I usually go overkill on that because of how I use it.
Just asking if anyone has experience with this very common mod to this particular trailer, a 2022 Springdale 202qb, before I do it through trial/error.
On my last trailer (Forest River - also not designed for it) I followed forum advice to upgrade the springs and axles to fit 15" wheels and 235/70 LT tires vs doing a flip kit because of someone's bad experience with flimsy stock hubs and axles and avoided a lot of headaches - it worked perfect!
Looking for the same advice here before I start.

That all being said - thanks for stating your opinion because a lot of people may not realize what mess they're getting into! Follow my project at your own risk. LOL
Old 06-28-2023, 04:43 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

NONE of these things were built to "off road without risk"... But, if you're going to do it, a wood frame trailer is able to "twist and bend" easier than an aluminum welded frame. Springdale and Hideout are the only two lines built by Keystone that use wood framing, so you've at least got "something" going for you....

Back around 2011-2013 Springdale built the Springdale SRT line. SRT stands for "Springdale Rugged Trailer". It was built in the Oregon plant, had HD axles, 15" offroad tires, shocks and "spring over axles" (probably with blocks as well, based on the photos I've seen.

Here are two pages from the 2011 Springdale brochure that describe the SRT line. If you're going to "go for it" then I'd recommend changing out the "bare minimum axles" and installing shocks (to mirror what the factory engineers felt was needed) as well as HD offroad tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SRT 1.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	44408   Click image for larger version

Name:	SRT 2.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	44409  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:53 PM   #7
YesImLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
NONE of these things were built to "off road without risk"... But, if you're going to do it, a wood frame trailer is able to "twist and bend" easier than an aluminum welded frame. Springdale and Hideout are the only two lines built by Keystone that use wood framing, so you've at least got "something" going for you....

Back around 2011-2013 Springdale built the Springdale SRT line. SRT stands for "Springdale Rugged Trailer". It was built in the Oregon plant, had HD axles, 15" offroad tires, shocks and "spring over axles" (probably with blocks as well, based on the photos I've seen.

Here are two pages from the 2011 Springdale brochure that describe the SRT line. If you're going to "go for it" then I'd recommend changing out the "bare minimum axles" and installing shocks (to mirror what the factory engineers felt was needed) as well as HD offroad tires.
Not really “off-roading” the thing, more like just making it easier to drag it 10yds up from the high tide line (where you can drive almost anything on the smooth hard sand no problem) into the soft sand. I got it there fine, but man I miss having A/T tires on the trailer! Makes it WAY easier with less chance of ripping something off.
That’s a great tip! I’ll check it out - probably still parts around somewhere.

Tags
springdale, tires