Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2023, 10:27 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

I believe a Hensley hitch would refer to the older models like the Arrow. When one of the main guys left Hensley he formed ProPride hitches (memory). The ProPride 3P link is below:

https://store.propridehitch.com/prop...control-hitch/

Regardless of what their sales smoke and mirrors say just look at the hitch in the link. Note that the hitch sits down over the ball...the trailer will swivel from that ball. It has no attachments for the back half of the bed to swivel over the axle so the "projection", "virtual" etc. isn't really virtual or...it would swivel from the center of the rear axle.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 10:31 AM   #22
Rob M

Chuckster57: it's good that we can all agree to disagree while at the same time learning from eachothers experiences. I have pulled 5ers and bumper pulls and if there was no alternative, I'd be a 5er owner to be sure. The Hensley has completely opened up a 3rd opportunity for travelers to consider. We have been thru the mountains of BC and South Dakota, been from Ontario to Florida 3 times, etc with our current towing setup using the Hensley and have never looked back. Unless you have pulled with the Hensley I would suggest that making the observation that a 5th wheel setup is better than a Hensley is based simply on bias vs fact, IMHO which is ok if that's how you do it.
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 10:39 AM   #23
Rob M

Nope, the hitch DOES NOT swivel on the ball as it is locked out via the 2 strut rods. You need to watch a few more videos. The major difference.with the ProPride and the original is the inclusion of an adjustable drawbar system to allow for height control verses the original which required different drawbars. Other than that, the physics and concept are the same. Here's a great video looking down at the hitch from the tailgate.

https://youtu.be/JwLhvufw-IA
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 11:19 AM   #24
shrtmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegod View Post
I currently have a Cougar 24SABWE, 28.5 feet about 7800 max weight. I tow with a 6.4 gas Ram 2500 4.10 gears, 15k max towing.

I am thinking about going to a 5th wheel. I'm looking at 30' or less, max of 10,000 pounds.

What are the pros and cons from people that have gone from tow trailer to 5th. wheel? Or even 5th. wheel to tow behind?

Thanks
everyone has covered towing and driving. We went from a trailer to a fifth wheel. I really like the 5th wheel. Way more room, higher ceiling. The only problem with the 5th wheel are the stairs. Hopefully, you are young and in good shape. Last time we were camping those stairs started to become an issue for me. We don't have stairs in our home. Anyway, something to think about.
shrtmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 11:19 AM   #25
Maineiacs

Currently have a bumper pull as that was what was available when our last 5er went to the graveyard in the sky. If we ever stumble on a 5er with the same floorplan, SWMBO agrees that we can switch. Otherwise, no dice.

5er's are inherently more stable.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 11:32 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrtmem View Post
everyone has covered towing and driving. We went from a trailer to a fifth wheel. I really like the 5th wheel. Way more room, higher ceiling. The only problem with the 5th wheel are the stairs. Hopefully, you are young and in good shape. Last time we were camping those stairs started to become an issue for me. We don't have stairs in our home. Anyway, something to think about.
We just did some body work on a “River Ranch” fiver. Level floor front to back once you climbed the stairs to get in.

https://palominorv.com/fifth-wheels/river-ranch

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 12:48 PM   #27
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
..... DW is a tad claustrophobic. The the bedrooms in 5er’s are up over the nose ... very cavelike and tight. That was the end of that. ...
It's sad you never discovered, or never had the opportunity to discover a front living room fifth wheel. They are not claustrophobic. In fact, the upper level and the middle level are open, no wall. There is a counter between the two and the kitchen is usually in the middle with a bed room in the rear. The bed room in the front living room models seems to be bigger and more open than the front bedroom models. I agree, those upper front bedroom models ARE claustrophobic. Not to mention that wall and upper bathroom make for a very hot upper room and a much cooler bottom floor in the hot months ... or ... in the winter the upper level bed room is cold and the bottom level is comfortable.

The open feeling of the front living room model fifth wheel IS awesome! On the "next" go-round, at least give them a consideration!

Here's ours, not the best photo, but maybe give you an idea!

Old 07-30-2023, 12:55 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

On the subject of claustrophobic, neither my missus or I are. I will say that a 28.7' 5th wheel means it is low rise in the front and we also have a FULL queen which sticks out about a foot longer (roughly) and getting in bed and out requires a bit of gymnastics. We don't mind the couple steps up but I would consider a bumper pull in roughly the same floorplan so we could actually get in and out of bed more gracefully. Probably won't swap campers as this one is paid for and I think all campers have some areas that are not perfect and compromises have to be made.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 04:05 PM   #29
Max23

I am very claustrophobic hence going with a TT rather than a 5er as well. Yes you can find 5ers with a rear bedroom, however, they still have the single door and what I could find were all way bigger than I wanted. Therefore our floor plan works great for me. Double sliding doors to the bedroom makes it wide open to the rest of the TT with the ability to close the doors if need be. Although, not sure why you would need to? I don't know. We never have, anyway thats my sorted story behind a TT instead of 5er.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 04:47 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

While on claustrophobia and the RV, I guess we're different.
We spend extended periods in ours and found our previous bumper pull (36') w/ 3 slides claustrophobic. Nice bedroom and living are but you are stuck with that low ceiling for the entire length of the trailer....and it was a nice trailer, arched ceiling etc. In it every evening for a few months and it became a long, dark tunnel - no matter the size of the bedroom, bathroom or kitchen/living area. DW got the closed in feeling over time and I just felt like I was a mole in a tunnel. LED bright lights, open windows helped but not that much.

Enter the 5th wheel. In looking over the trailers it was very clear that 5th wheels felt MUCH larger, brighter and roomier. The higher ceiling, ceiling fan, cabinets etc. made the entire cabin feel immensely larger. It has lighter interior decor which helps as well (compared to our last one). With a 36' bumper pull you get about a 32' (deduct tongue) box to live in. With a 32' 5th wheel you get about a 36-37' to live in (add front overhang), it makes a big difference.

All those 5th wheel floorplans offer various solutions for people looking for different things and we looked at them all. Front living, front kitchen, rear living/mid kitchen, middle room...you name it. I guess we're just rear living/mid kitchen people. Front living elevates you from the kitchen; I spent much of my time in the kitchen as does DW. We also mix what goes on in the living area with what I/we do in the kitchen. It was senseless to run up and down those stairs 1000 times a day needlessly; same goes for a kitchen up front.

Front bedroom can be an issue for some. We initially wanted a mid profile 5th; Cougar (non 1/2 ton). Really liked them but the mid profile front lowers the overall ceiling so there was a bit of that closed in feeling possible. On top of that the bedroom ceiling was quite literally "short" requiring negotiating "stuff" in there even for shorter people - then DW made "the" demand; a washer and dryer. After consulting with numerous people it had to be a stackable set and "poof", we were looking at full profile 5th wheels...and here we are.

Before this trailer I said I never wanted and would never have a 5th wheel but here I am....and couldn't be happier. It did come with not only the expense of the trailer but a new 1 ton as well so there is that....but....DW can wash clothes in house and that makes us both very happy. Different strokes for different folks....and sometimes we need DW to tell us what the different stroke needs to be.....

Sorry this was so long. Been outside cutting lumber and just rambled I guess.
Old 07-30-2023, 05:15 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve always had fifthwheels. First was 21’ no slide and you had to shimmy up into the bed. Current one is my 4th, with opposing slides in the back. It works for DW and I, and for the record I have never considered a bumper pull.

Just another reason we enjoy the freedom of choice that living in this country affords us.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:13 PM   #32
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Regardless of what their sales smoke and mirrors say just look at the hitch in the link. Note that the hitch sits down over the ball...the trailer will swivel from that ball. It has no attachments for the back half of the bed to swivel over the axle so the "projection", "virtual" etc. isn't really virtual or...it would swivel from the center of the rear axle.
The trailer does not swivel on the ball. The ball is there just to fill in the trailer's ball receptacle when mounting the rigid hitch, and to transmit the TV's forward pull force as the trailer expects it to be transmitted.

The swiveling is done by the head underneath and forward of the ball, and it swivels in a motion quite opposed to what you would expect from experience. It really does project its center of rotation forward into the TV.

It's like a gyroscope -- the claims sound like fakery until you get to try one in your own hands.
Old 07-30-2023, 07:55 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
The trailer does not swivel on the ball. The ball is there just to fill in the trailer's ball receptacle when mounting the rigid hitch, and to transmit the TV's forward pull force as the trailer expects it to be transmitted.

The swiveling is done by the head underneath and forward of the ball, and it swivels in a motion quite opposed to what you would expect from experience. It really does project its center of rotation forward into the TV.

It's like a gyroscope -- the claims sound like fakery until you get to try one in your own hands.

RobM posted a video to one I've not seen. I've seen them in parks and watched other videos of them but not one sitting over the head like that. It looks different but not sure how the head moving from side to side like that then eliminates any feeling of the tongue moving. Be that as it may, those that like them like them and from their accounts they seem to be happy. Whether it's the same as a 5th wheel I have my doubts.
Old 07-30-2023, 10:08 PM   #34
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
Kind of an odd reason, but legitimate I can assure you. I knew most of the advantages of a fifth wheel when we bought our first camper in 2017. We ended up with a bumper pull for a very simple reason. DW is a tad claustrophobic. The the bedrooms in 5er’s are up over the nose and unless you go huge, very, very cavelike and tight. That was the end of that. So our 21rbs was perfect. Wide open, very roomy inside for the two of us. Immediately removed the curtain between the bed and the rest of the interior. And I know the 5er’s have quite a bit of storage, but when we go on a longer trip, or especially boondocking, the bed of the truck is completely full.
Well we find the interior of TT tight with low ceilings claustrophobic. Our 5th wheel has what I call a master suite, the toilet is in a small room, and the shower is in the corner of the bedroom. Makes for a much more roomy bed room.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:14 AM   #35
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
I am very claustrophobic hence going with a TT rather than a 5er as well. Yes you can find 5ers with a rear bedroom, however, they still have the single door and what I could find were all way bigger than I wanted. Therefore our floor plan works great for me. Double sliding doors to the bedroom makes it wide open to the rest of the TT with the ability to close the doors if need be. Although, not sure why you would need to? I don't know. We never have, anyway thats my sorted story behind a TT instead of 5er.
When we camp, I get up usually before dawn and drink some coffee and play on the computer or watch TV. We have to have a way to shut out noise as my missus loves to sleep in. I am usually up at least 3 hours before her.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:49 AM   #36
Kzneft

I went from a tongue hitch to a 5th. Love it. Don't have to worry too much about load dispersion. My tongue hitch was a 24' model. My 5th is a 36' length. With how much distance there is from the front of the tongue hitch model (5' from hitch A-frame to the trailer front) ), then attached to the back of the truck, vs a 5th, which is inside the bed about 5', then subtract the 5' you used to have from the tongue hitch to the actual front of the trailer, I am only 8' longer overall, but I gained 12' of camper space. Win win!
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:26 PM   #37
HeadHam

We looked at the front L.R. configuration for several models, and they all seemed to have a heavier pin weight than the front B.R. floor plans. Did you find that to be true also?

Rich

Rich & Marilyn
2018 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2023 Keystone Cougar 29RLI 5th wheel
Curt 16E hitch
HeadHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 05:02 PM   #38
Max23

I know they were all WAY bigger than I wanted and sadly, could afford. But yes, they are nice.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:45 AM   #39
HeadHam

Your situation is similar to mine. The wife sleeps in till 11 or noon sometimes, while I'm up around 6. The two pups love it as they get to go for long walks.

Rich & Marilyn
2018 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2023 Keystone Cougar 29RLI 5th wheel
Curt 16E hitch
HeadHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:32 PM   #40
crowbar

Had an f350 and a fifth wheel for years. It was easy to pull and maneuver and was comfortable. But I wanted to bring my motorcycle with me so I sold the whole thing as a unit and bought a new f150 and a bumper pull so I could haul my Harley in the truck. It's been great for me. By the way, your cougar model is my "dream" trailer.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow