Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #1
Firegod

5th. Wheel vs. Tow behind

I currently have a Cougar 24SABWE, 28.5 feet about 7800 max weight. I tow with a 6.4 gas Ram 2500 4.10 gears, 15k max towing.

I am thinking about going to a 5th wheel. I'm looking at 30' or less, max of 10,000 pounds.

What are the pros and cons from people that have gone from tow trailer to 5th. wheel? Or even 5th. wheel to tow behind?

Thanks
Firegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 11:08 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The 5th wheel is much nicer towing, connecting and disconnecting IMO. I pulled bumper pulls from 1981 or so until 2020. I do not use a conventional 5th wheel hitch due to weight and the hassle of using them. I use the Andersen which you would have to use as well (or something about the same weight). The interior height (ours is full profile) makes a world of difference as far as a "roomy" feel. Full profile 5th wheels get heavier though.

The issue with the 3/4 ton (I had one almost identical to what you have) will be payload. Even a 10k gvwr 5th wheel is a stretch. If you figure 23% of the gvwr you have 2300lbs. for pin weight. Your payload on that truck, depending on trim, might be 3100lbs? Now you have 800lbs. for passengers, hitch, toys, bbq/bikes/firewood/shade canopies etc. in the truck. It is, and will be, very hard not to exceed that payload plus you leave yourself no safety margin - that's why I have a 1 ton.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 12:04 PM   #3
Canonman

I'm all in agreement with Danny on the upside of 5th wheel advantages over a bumper pull. They pull like a dream.
However, I think you'll be fine towing with your 3/4 ton Ram. You'll have the added payload based on the difference in weight between your gasser and a diesel.
Even with our diesel we still come in under (not by much) the 2160# payload on our Ram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL9975.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	44630  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #4
cougar23

We have had bumper pull campers, motorhomes, and 5th wheel. In my opinion the 5th wheel's tow better and have more storage than bumper pull camper's. They maneuver into tight spots and into fuel stations much better than bumper pulls. Only downfall is your hitch will cost more.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 01:39 PM   #5
RollaMo

We moved from a bumper pull to our current 5th wheel.

Started out with a 1/2 ton pickup and 5,500 LB Gross bumper pull.
It did pretty good, but I wanted a newer truck anyway, so we got the 2500HD GMC.

Pulled that bumper pull for one season with the new truck and then moved to our 5th wheel.
Traded the bumper pull for the 5th wheel, and couldn't be happier!

The 5th wheel is just so much nicer and easier to travel with.
Backing up a 5th wheel is also easier than the bumper pull.
Old 07-23-2023, 02:38 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Problem Vern is going to face is that he started off with the premise of his vehicle having a "max tow" of 15K lbs. Vern, any number like that is of absolutely no value. Do you expect you could put a 15K 5th wheel on your 3/4 ton truck. Open the door of your truck and look at the payload placard... that is the short pole in the tent. You probably have decent payload as you have a gas engine which can add quite a bit vs a diesel but figure any 5th wheel will be about 23 percent of the gross weight... that is pin weight.

Add in hitch, passenger weight and stuff in the truck so a 10K gross weight 5th wheel will push 3K lbs pin weight. Keep that in mind while shopping for the new 5th wheel which will be a lot easier pull than a comparable weight bumper pull.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 02:51 PM   #7
rhagfo

Well 10,000# or less and 6.4 with 4.10, will likely it within the numbers, and pull pretty much ok. That is about as big as I would go with that 2500.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 03:31 PM   #8
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well 10,000# or less and 6.4 with 4.10, will likely it within the numbers, and pull pretty much ok. That is about as big as I would go with that 2500.
I agree, and that is why we stayed with a 10,000 LB max

And the OP stated that is what he was looking for also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegod View Post
I am thinking about going to a 5th wheel. I'm looking at 30' or less, max of 10,000 pounds.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:07 PM   #9
fjr vfr

Went from bumper pull to 5th wheel a few year ago and I would never go back.
My trailer is 30' and has a gross of 10,600 lbs. I've been pulling around the country for about 5 years now with a 2008 Ram 2500, 6.7 Cummins. It handles like a dream.
Overall length comes out to be equivalent roughly to about 24-25' bumper pull.
Btw, I'm well within my axle capacities and borderline on the payload and gross, but like I said handles beautifully. You won't have any issues if you are within the trailer size you mentioned.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:37 AM   #10
JBM3M

I have pulled bumper, 5th wheel, and gooseneck. Gooseneck has an advantage in steep twisty terrain allowing better clearance between bed and trailer. But I just don't trust them to be as strong.

Bumper pull sucks to back up unless 30' or longer with rearward set axle(s). No steps to navigate inside. Less storage than 5th wheel as those have the "step" that makes for the up front storage compartment. Most will need a load equalizer hitch

As others have said, the 5th wheel tows like a dream, backs up really well, and has more storage and capacities. Mine I tow with an old Reese 20K on a 23 year old 1 ton F350. Just make sure you don't have to duck in the bedroom, some are low ceiling up there.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:45 AM   #11
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

We've lightly considered a 5th wheel ourselves, but I find the 5th wheel trailers in my weight and length class would not be worth it for us.

The cons for us are: Lateral move for cabin space, costing a lot more to buy, having to purchase the hitch system at $1K.

I can't justify it without losing my a$$, not at this time with the economy being sketchy. Just my honest opinion.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:37 AM   #12
dutchmensport

I have now had both and after 5 years of towing a fifth wheel, and over 50 towing bumper pulls, I can honestly say, neither and both!

If the tow vehicle is the right vehicle and if the hitching is right, correct, hefty enough, and set up properly, towing a trailer is just as comfortable as towing a fifth wheel.

Both respond backing up different than the other. To say one is better than the other is a farce. They are just different! They respond different. The trailer pivot point is different. Once you know and understand where that pivot point point is, and once you know where the "jack knife" position happens, one is NOT superior over the other! They are just ... different!

Coming from a life-long bumper pull background, I found transition to a fifth wheel was extremely difficult. It took me a good 2 years to finally figure it out. Now, it's no problem at all.

However, IF the truck is under par, no matter what you do to it, both can be nightmares when towing. BOTH!

The one big difference between a fifth wheel and a travel trailer are the steps. In my opinion, this is the deciding factor. If you are not able to handle steps from the ground to the top, some models, as many as 8 or 9 steps, up and down, then a fifth wheel is not for you.

But regardless, travel trailer or fifth wheel, those models with sunken kitchens all have steps to deal with.

Regardless of what ANYONE says, one is NOT better than the other (IF) the tow vehicle is right and the hitch is right. It's all a matter of what best suits your specific lifestyle.

Some of the newer models of travel trailers NOW have massive storage under the floors causing very, very steep competition for fifth wheels. In the end, it's all a matter of what suits YOUR camping style the best.
Old 07-24-2023, 08:50 AM   #13
jxnbbl

When we "got into this" it was during covid so the choice of trucks and trailers were limited. We ended up with a Ram 2500 diesel that came with a 5th wheel hitch just because that is all we could get, they actually gave me a great price for my trade in Ram 1500 with ecodiesel and after about a month of talking gave me a great price on the 2500. But the trailer was as big as we wanted to venture with a bunks A year later we had everyone hooked and were looking for a separate bunk house so the grandkids had their own space...we couldn't fine a 5th wheel that didn't squeeze our payload but bought that second bedroom bunkhouse that has its own 1/2 bath. Now we are hooked on a bath and a half!...in our layout we need the 1/2 bath to use when traveling anyways but the kids have their own space.

We won't change unless something falls in our lap but after talking with people would like a 5th wheel as we tend to travel long distances/legs, bunkhouse and a bath in a half...so have to go with a 1ton. When that time comes...I went over what it would take to install the "puck system" for the Ram as I have the hitch (mopar 20K). This is somewhat key as if I couldn't do this I'm relying on the "good truck deal" having the 5th wheel prep package.

Now the input...

Assume a RAM 3500 SRW truck and a 35-37 ft 5th wheel

1. In terms of hitches is the hitch above fine or and I really not saving anything and should I buy some after market hitch.

2. When looking at the truck itself is the 'crew cab' 6ft bed ok? Or, although I don't like the length, do I have to go with the 8ft bed?
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:13 PM   #14
Raptor 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegod View Post
I currently have a Cougar 24SABWE, 28.5 feet about 7800 max weight. I tow with a 6.4 gas Ram 2500 4.10 gears, 15k max towing.

What are the pros and cons from people that have gone from tow trailer to 5th. wheel? Or even 5th. wheel to tow behind?

Thanks
I'm really happy everybody likes their 5th wheels. We do too but it has changed our camping style.

This got me thinking of two things I've learned over the years. There is no right or correct setup for everyone. Everybody has different needs and those needs change over time.

Second you only have 18 summers with your kids and then they are gone. This one I stole from a YouTube family called "Keep Your Daydream" KYD will bring it up. Anyway this family has been documenting how their RV needs have changed and how they have met the challenge. They are professional and entertaining and I'm not in any way associated with them. Anyway you may want to run through some old episodes and see what prompted them to move from bumper to a fifth wheel and then back to bumper pull.

That's the best I can do at giving you devil's advocate side. We love our fifth wheel but life and needs changed. I wouldn't say we necessarily have a better time. It's just different.
Hope that helps your search
Cheers
Raptor 429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 08:56 AM   #15
Bamabox

Kind of an odd reason, but legitimate I can assure you. I knew most of the advantages of a fifth wheel when we bought our first camper in 2017. We ended up with a bumper pull for a very simple reason. DW is a tad claustrophobic. The the bedrooms in 5er’s are up over the nose and unless you go huge, very, very cavelike and tight. That was the end of that. So our 21rbs was perfect. Wide open, very roomy inside for the two of us. Immediately removed the curtain between the bed and the rest of the interior. And I know the 5er’s have quite a bit of storage, but when we go on a longer trip, or especially boondocking, the bed of the truck is completely full.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:03 AM   #16
Rob M

5th. Wheel vs. Tow behind

We pull a 2019 Cougar 32RLI (overall 36.5') with our F150 using a Hensley Hitch. This hitch makes pulling virtually identical to pulling a 5er as geometrically the pivot point is over the rear axle making backing up a dream, hauling down the road "sway proof" all with the advantage of a lower overall height which contributes to less wind resistance and better fuel economy (if that's really even a phrase when pulling). The Hensley made all of the difference after many a "white knuckle" trip! A $2000 investment saved 10's of thousands in ungrade costs to a 5er. We love our trailer and our Hensley (which are on sale right now). All IMHO
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:05 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
We pull a 2019 Cougar 32RLI (overall 36.5') with our F150 using a Hensley Hitch. This hitch makes pulling virtually identical to pulling a 5er as geometrically the pivot point is over the rear axle making backing up a dream, hauling down the road "sway proof" all with the advantage of a lower overall height which contributes to less wind resistance and better fuel economy (if that's really even a phrase when pulling). The Hensley made all of the difference after many a "white knuckle" trip! A $2000 investment saved 10's of thousands in ungrade costs to a 5er. We love our trailer and our Hensley (which are on sale right now). All IMHO
Can you explain how the pivot point is over the rear axle when the HITCH POINT is behind the bumper? In the fifthwheel configuration the HITCH POINT IS OVER THE REAR AXLE.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:16 AM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
I'm with Chuckster.
Need some 'splaining on how towing a 36.5' TT with a F150, too much with too little, using a bumper hitch that puts the weight over the rear axle like a 5th wheel?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:50 AM   #19
Rob M

I'll let the professionals explain thru copied text and a video

https://youtu.be/_G6T33-fp88

"The ProPride 3P® Jim Hensley Hitch is a sway control hitch that uses 3P technology, which stands for "Pivot Point Projection," and weight distribution to improve the stability of a trailer and tow vehicle. The 3P technology projects a virtual pivot point near the tow vehicle's rear axle, which shifts the effective pivot point of the trailer from the hitch ball. This shortens the distance between the pivot point of the trailer and the rear axle, resulting in a more stable trailer and tow vehicle when subjected to external forces. This technology is often used in fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailers to enhance stability."

Oh and btw, I'm under max gross towing weight and max payload.y properly equipped f150 pulls this trailer flawlessly.
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 10:01 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

“Virtual” “projected”, are not “actual”.

If you’re happy that’s what matters but you will never convince me that ANY bumper mounted towing system is the same as a Fifthwheel/gooseball system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow