Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2023, 04:04 PM   #1
KCZIE

7,000lb towing 1500 vs 2500

I’m sure this question has been asked a thousand times over in different ways. But I’m a newbie and have just purchased a 2023 KEYSTONE RV COUGAR HALF-TON 22RBSWE. I was told over and over again my 2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 could tow that no problem. Have a weight distribution hitch and breaking assist installed. Towed that bad boy home and man was my truck struggling. Now, well aware my current truck is not quite capable of towing this trailer with a max weight of 7,200lbs (my trucks max is 7,000). So now the fun begins of spending more money to purchase a more capable truck. My question is, would I be able to tow this trailer with a 1500 or is a 2500 the only reasonable option? Thank y’all in advance!
KCZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:13 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Half ton towable is a selling scam. Yes, there are a FEW 1/2 ton trucks that are properly equipped but vary few. Towing capacity is another misleading rating as it means NOTHING when talking about campers. PAYLOAD is the number you need to pay attention to. Those trailers can max out the payload on some 3/4 ton trucks depending on how the trailer is loaded and much stuff you have in the truck.

Yes, this has been discussed a thousand and one times and explaind frontwards, backwards, and upside down. There are many, many threads on this site discussing this. Bottom line, do not tow that trailer with a Colorado again, it's dangerous.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:16 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First off take the “tow rating” and erase it from ANY equation. You need to know the cargo carrying capacity of your potential truck.

I’m on my way out the door for a family bbq, but I’m sure you will be overwhelmed with responses echoing what I have stated.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:17 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As you've found the Colorado doesn't have the oomph for that large a trailer weight or power wise. The next dilemma will be figuring out your plans for RVing, hauling etc.

A 1/2 ton is great for minimal tasks. It excels at grocery getting, carrying a few sheets of plywood, throwing a flatbed behind it with some sacks of concrete (not too many) and those kinds of things - a utility type vehicle. Towing an RV is a game unto itself. It's nothing like towing a flat trailer because the flat walls and front of an RV exert pressures on the truck a flatbed never could.

If you never wanted a different trailer and never wanted to carry a lot of stuff camping with you a 1/2 ton PROPERLY EQUIPPED would handle the trailer. The problem with the 1/2 ton is that the very thing that makes it so nice; softer springs, P rated passenger tires etc. also make it a bear to control if the RV decides to wander off behind the truck. That's where the suspension, tires, stability and general solid feel of the HD trucks come into play and they make the 1/2 ton pale in comparison. I was a 1/2 ton advocate for many decades. Never had a trailer so big that one wouldn't work except I was probably overloaded many times (I know I was). I was just lucky enough that I didn't have that OS moment using it.

Back to the original comment; are you ever going to want something larger in an RV? It's a real pain to buy a new trailer and truck at the same time - btdt. Personally with a 7200lb. gvwr trailer and knowing what I know now I would just get a 3/4 ton - unless you have the slightest thought you might get an even larger trailer then consider a 1 ton; not much more money but a lot more towing capability. Going to the 3/4 or 1 ton doesn't hurt a bit (other than the pocketbook) but they sure give you lots of options looking forward.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:37 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

My camper is similar size and weight. We initially pulled it with an F150 with max tow package. Power-wise, the truck could tow with plenty of power to spare. Control and handling-wise it was very difficult to deal with. I changed to Load E tires, added suspension upgrades, new shocks and it helped a little, but was still a challenge, especially in anything more than a light breeze. We decided that since our future plans involved a 5th wheel, we might as well upgrade the truck. We still have our Passport and the towing experience is night and day. Strong, stable, smooth and confident in any weather or road condition. You can’t go wrong with a 3/4 ton, but for the money, a 1 ton is only a little bit more and can future proof your options down the road should you decide to upgrade a trailer
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:26 PM   #6
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZIE View Post
My question is, would I be able to tow this trailer with a 1500 or is a 2500 the only reasonable option? Thank y’all in advance!
Unless you want to go through a new truck purchase twice, don't start with a 1500 with that trailer.
Old 07-22-2023, 06:55 PM   #7
gearhead

A Colorado isn’t even a half ton, is it? I would compare it to a Toyota Tacoma. This years model has a 4 cylinder turbo as the only choice.
I drove one a couple weeks ago. Not bad, but I would only pull a utility trailer with a lawn mower or a light aluminum John boat.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:58 PM   #8
gearhead

So uh, how big a boy are you? More importantly, how big a boy is that salesman?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 07:34 PM   #9
Max23

Quote:
I’m sure this question has been asked a thousand times over in different ways. But I’m a newbie and have just purchased a 2023 KEYSTONE RV COUGAR HALF-TON 22RBSWE. I was told over and over again my 2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 could tow that no problem. Have a weight distribution hitch and breaking assist installed. Towed that bad boy home and man was my truck struggling. Now, well aware my current truck is not quite capable of towing this trailer with a max weight of 7,200lbs (my trucks max is 7,000). So now the fun begins of spending more money to purchase a more capable truck. My question is, would I be able to tow this trailer with a 1500 or is a 2500 the only reasonable option? Thank y’all in advance!
Don't even look at another half ton. I did the same thing as you, started out with a half ton and had to upgrade. Would it pull it? Yes. Would it handle the payload and axle weights, NO! I explain it like this. When pulling with the half ton, I was fighting a trailer that was pushing me around and was in charge. I upgraded to a 2500, now it feels like the truck is in charge not the trailer. Don't consider another half ton!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 04:14 AM   #10
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
My camper is similar size and weight. We initially pulled it with an F150 with max tow package. Power-wise, the truck could tow with plenty of power to spare. Control and handling-wise it was very difficult to deal with. I changed to Load E tires, added suspension upgrades, new shocks and it helped a little, but was still a challenge, especially in anything more than a light breeze. We decided that since our future plans involved a 5th wheel, we might as well upgrade the truck. We still have our Passport and the towing experience is night and day. Strong, stable, smooth and confident in any weather or road condition. You can’t go wrong with a 3/4 ton, but for the money, a 1 ton is only a little bit more and can future proof your options down the road should you decide to upgrade a trailer
What Bulldog said. Echoed By Sourdough. Go 1 ton. But probably easier to find a 3/4, especially if you are looking at used and it will do the job. Be sure to look at the LOAD Capacity. Not all 3/4s are created equal.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 05:42 AM   #11
Jonahex2099

We had been considering an upgrade for months and went straight to a 1 ton. I was looking at a 3/4 ton but at the end of the day the cost difference was negligible for the features we wanted .vs the increase in cargo capacity. Easy choice. Our 1500 has a cargo capacity of 1670lbs. The new 3500HD has a capacity of slightly over 4000. The 1500 has no issues short long uphill grades, no sway, with our passport but I just was not feeling safe.

Test drive a 1 ton…any brand really, we tested both GM variants, Ford, and Dodge and settled on a Silverado, and you’ll understand. I thought it’d be too much for me to drive but it handles awesomely and easy. (Just not easy on the wallet )

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 07:43 AM   #12
Camping family

Quote:
When it comes to buying a new truck. There is not much price difference in a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. There also isn’t much price difference between a 3/4 and a 1 ton single axle truck. Would definitely go with a 3/4 in my opinion if you are going to pull a camper a 1/2 ton truck is useless. Anything out there needs at least a 3/4 ton truck. Sure a 1/2 ton will pull about any camper out there. But pulling is not the issue. Stopping and over all handling is the issue. Up n down even a small incline will put a 1/2 through the test. So if wanting to pull a camper get at least a 3/4 ton for the safety of your family and others on the road. Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy the adventures.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 08:54 AM   #13
Buffettfan

We towed our PR24RK with a Ram 1500 with the heaviest load and towing capacities available for the particular model, 2wd, regular cab, short bed.
We were within the truck's load specifications and it pulled it OK.
Plenty of pulling and braking power, but it wasn't a comfortable experience.
We towed it over 6000 miles, and across the Smokey Mountains twice with no problems.
That said, a properly optioned 1/2 ton WILL pull your trailer.
BUT, I traded to a Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab a year ago.
The difference is night and day.
Zero sway, better ride, the truck doesn't struggle at all and the overall travel experience is so much more comfortable.
So, you could upgrade to a 1/2 ton and be at the edge of the truck's capacities or jump to a 3/4 ton, and have a safety factor built in.
Plus, you can start thinking about bigger campers!
Buffettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 10:57 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
What Bulldog said. Echoed By Sourdough. Go 1 ton. But probably easier to find a 3/4, especially if you are looking at used and it will do the job. Be sure to look at the LOAD Capacity. Not all 3/4s are created equal.

^^^^This will be the issue everywhere I've looked in the past. 3/4 tons are THE HD truck that dealers like to stock. We've had few to no HD trucks in my little burg for quite some time but they started getting some in. 2 days ago I drove through their lots because I'm thinking about a new 1 ton. Ford had 13 new 3/4 tons and 1 350 with a flat utility work bed. Ram had 15 new 3/4 tons, zero 1 tons. GM had 8 3/4 tons and zero 1 ton.

I've about resigned myself to having to order a new 1 ton. The one I have was found in FL and I live in TX (I was in FL visiting at the time). So just be prepared if you set your sights on a 1 ton.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing