Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
Judygandy

Mastertrack tires

We are about to purchase tires for our 38 Ft Outback.
What are your experience with Mastertrack 10 ply tires?
Two tire stores recommended them but we don’t want blow-outs on our trip.
Judygandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Ask for the manufacturer code on them and see where they are made to start. They may wind up being a renamed Trailer King in disguise.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I have none; don't know if anyone else does or not, but, I do know they aren't the more popular, reliable tire brands that I've heard of. Another concern to me, unlike Carlisle, Maxxis, Sailun, or Goodyear, you cannot pull up a thing about Mastertrack tire company. Even the importer, Unicorn Tire sales does/will not speak to the manufacturer that I could find - a bad sign to me.

http://unicorntire.com/index.php?id_...urer&id_lang=1

You might note the names of the tires these guys import....I've never heard of any of them.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
major bumm

From the Tires Warehouse webpage, "Mastertrack is distributed by Unicorn Tire, a U.S.-based tire company specializing in the import and wholesale of a wide range of Chinese tires."

A buddy of mine just bought mastertrack tires for his 3/4 ton. He was told they are made by Hercules tires. I can not confirm or deny this however.
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
busterbrown

The best advice with regards to modern day ST tires is to stay with reputable brands. In addition, keeping a nice "healthy" reserve load capacity will help mitigate premature failures. Of course, proper in service tire maintenance should always be performed (max inflation pressures and speed limitations).

As others have mentioned, ST brands that are recognized in 2019 include Carlisle (Radisl Trail HD), Maxxis (m8008), Goodyear (Endurance, not Marathon), and Sailun's.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:59 AM   #6
notanlines

There you have it, Judy. Good advice from years of experience. I'll add our many years to simply reiterate the same four brands. Either believe people in the know with nothing to gain or those who stand to gain by the sale. Your choice.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Another "twist on opinions":

There are 3 "historically reliable" ST tire brands. Maxxis, Carlisle and now Sailun (for heavier trailers, not available for smaller trailers).

Goodyear is "breaking into that "historically reliable" group with their new ST Endurance brand. It's been on the market for about 2-3 years and seems (so far) to be building a good reputation among users. In a few more years, if Goodyear doesn't degrade the product, it may become the "FOURTH GREAT ST TIRE".... Right now, it's the "new kid on the block"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
bobbecky

You might also add the Goodyear G614 as a reliable trailer tire for heavier rigs. Even though it says LT, it is strictly designed and intended to be a trailer tire. We've had excellent service with them since 2013.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
You might also add the Goodyear G614 as a reliable trailer tire for heavier rigs. Even though it says LT, it is strictly designed and intended to be a trailer tire. We've had excellent service with them since 2013.
They have a great reputation, but price is significantly higher than a comparable Sailun tire. I think, for many people, when shopping, once they see the pricing on the G614's, they gently set the brochure back on the table and move on to a competitive tire brand.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #10
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
They have a great reputation, but price is significantly higher than a comparable Sailun tire. I think, for many people, when shopping, once they see the pricing on the G614's, they gently set the brochure back on the table and move on to a competitive tire brand.....

And Sailun have a better reputation.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #11
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judygandy View Post
We are about to purchase tires for our 38 Ft Outback.
What are your experience with Mastertrack 10 ply tires?
Two tire stores recommended them but we don’t want blow-outs on our trip.
Is your Outback a travel trailer toy hauler?

The newer ones are fitted with ST225/75R15 LRE tires.

The China tire industry is very competitive. Price fluctuations need to be scrutinized closely. The slightly higher priced ones may have Nylon overlays in their construction. That feature alone, increases the tires’ durability dramatically, especially in higher operating temperatures.

Strength and durability are the two key features to look for when searching for your RV trailer tires. Of course usage plays a part in your selection. If you only make a few short trips a year you may just want an economically priced tire you can afford to replace every year or two. For those long trips, strength and durability should top your list of things to consider for your new tires.

The whole ST tire industry is evolving rapidly. There are now some 15” steel cased tires on the market. The ST225/75R15 with a LRF is one of them. I don’t know the tire size you are looking for so that’s just a guess.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack, tires