Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 07-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Thomasbeau

Thanks for all of the great replies. Now it's just a matter of taking the time to get there and have this done. Thanks again everyone.

Tom
2018 Hideout 299RLDS
2002 F250 SD Lariat Supercab, 7.3 w/ TS Performance tuner
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
goodellj

I've done this a few times and I learned something from all these suggestions. BUT...

I have a few suggestions of my own:
1. When they ask for your truck number, tell them "private RV".
2. I have been worried about my weight (no wisecracks, pls!) and I wanted the total weight, trailer only, and truck only, so I unhooked and drove the truck forward and off the scale, pressed the call button again and said "trailer only".
3. The then rehooked, drove around and parked, unhooked, and drove back to the scale and did "truck only".

This is the only way that I know of to be absolutely sure of your 5th wheel axle weight, hitch weight, and truck weights. This is useful to know your exact hitch weight or if the total weight on the 4 camper tires is over the limit. Also, you'll find out if you need to redistribute some items from the cargo bay to the truck bed.

I found that the trailer was getting close to the limit and truck had lots of extra capacity, so I bought a big tool box for the truck bed and moved my tools from the cargo bay to the truck bed. I am considering moving a 20lb propane tank and a 40lb box of kitty litter.

goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #13
MarkEHansen

Why can't you weigh both, pull off and un-hitch and then take the truck back and weigh truck only? You don't have to also weigh only the trailer. The combined weight less the truck-only weight will reveal the trailer-only weight.