Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 07-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #31
slman

While towing I lock it out of O.D.

Mine is the same. I live with it. When towing, lock out OD, but when flat, or downhill, i hit the release button, and it pulls fine. ( Pretty much means freeway time only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
Hey I'm trying to get a bit of insight here, I know it's bad to lug a diesel and that 7.3s like rpm, but I'm not sure if it's normal to struggle on acceleration like I am...
My TTs 6k lbs and my truck does fine accelerating in 1st and 2nd and I can keep my rpms up but when it shift 3rd with the torque converter being locked my rpms dump to around 1300 to 1400 rpm and being out of my powerband it kinda has to lug back up to the sweet spot but once I'm there its gotta shift to 4th/od and I gotta work on getting my rpms up again... I am constantly getting told to chip it and I really don't want to do that, I just dont know is this normal for these trucks to hate their own gear ratios like mine does or do I gotta look for other issues? Thanks anyone in advance that provides input!

slman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:37 AM   #32
Stircrazy

if your looking at tuning, check out DP tuners, he was the best 7.3 tuner around for many years. I had a couple of his towing tunes with some custom lock ups on the torque converter and it towed a 9000lb trailer like a dream.

Steve

Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:39 AM   #33
mwemaxxowner

DP is who I used to tune mine. They treated me well and the tunes were great. Strong but apparently plenty safe. I drove the bajeezus out of that truck from 200,000 miles to 340,000, and the new owner is still without issues.
mwemaxxowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #34
Thomasbeau

I have a 2002 F250 with the 7.3. I added the TS Performance 6-position tuner to my truck a couple years ago. I also upgraded the exhaust to a 4" system and added a gauge for EGT. When I tow my 33" Hideout 299RLDS I usually set it to the 75hp setting. This is a noticeable difference in power and helps to keep my EGT down. I do knock off the overdrive at times when I notice the EGT moving up on long hills. The rpm's increase but the EGT drops substantially.

Tom
2018 Hideout 299RLDS
2002 F250 SD Lariat Supercab, 7.3 w/ TS Performance tuner
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote